The VG Resource

Full Version: Which Retro Games Need Remakes?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Just name a few. Good games you feel would be even more awesome given a facelift and bonus content.

For me, I definitely have a relatively large list, but I'll list a few:

Crystalis (NES)
-Very good Zelda-like Adventure/RPG on the NES. Its graphics were way ahead of its time, and the gameplay was really fun. Had a lot of "Where the hell do I go!?" points in the game, but despite that, it's very enjoyable, and I would have loved to see an enhanced SNES remake for it or something.

Final Fantasies 5 and 6 (SNES, PS1, GBA)
-Do I need to say it? All these have gotten were direct ports (with mild additions to the GBA versions), not enhanced 2D remakes and addons like Final Fantasies 1, 2 and 4. This needs to be resolved.

Startropics 1 and 2 (NES)
-These are great Zelda-like games. The first one could've done without the gridsnapping, like the 2nd one had; free movement. Otherwise, the soundtracks are really great and the games are fun. But, they're stuck on the NES, which means emulator only (unless you want to get an overpriced NES copy, or a beat down used copy).

Willow (NES)
-Another Zelda-Like Adventure/RPG on the NES. Another graphical boom at the time. The game suffered from a LOT, and I mean a LOOOOOOT of repeating screen designs, but overall it was enjoyable, as was the soundtrack.
Dark Cloud
Azure Dreams
TimeSplitters
Little Big Adventure

There's more, but those are the ones off the top of my head Tongue

Edit: Motherfucking Robotrek.
Puggsy (Genesis)
-My favourite game due to a big chunk of nostalgia, and the fact that it's an innovative and unique puzzle-platformer with a friendly atmosphere and absolutely fantastic music.
What makes me want a remake/sequel of it even more is the fact that the credits stated "Look out for Puggsy Part II coming soon!" To this day I'm still hoping Traveller's Tales will perhaps look back and think "maybe we should actually make that..."

Tomba!/Tombi! (PS1)
-Absolutely fantastic game, my second favourite game ever, also due to both nostalgia and just the fact that it was a very good and fun game. The story was simple but good, the gameplay was unique (latching onto pigs' backs and throwing them in midair is rarely seen) and the music topped it off. Plus it's the only "2-and-a-half-D" game I've seen, which was also one of its defining aspects.
Unfortunately the sequel sucked. Maybe it was because I never played it during my childhood, but still... the story was worse in comparison with the first, he had a little bug that talked for him (taking away that charm that non-speaking characters have), and although the sidescrolling gameplay was kept, everything was now 3D models and the camera took a range of different angles. This both took away the old one's "2-and-a-half-D" style, and made everything look generally worse (since models weren't really that pretty back then).

For both of these, the ideal remake would be basically the exact same game with a different story, different levels, new features (while keeping the old ones), and probably more modern graphics. But the gameplay, characters, and general atmosphere of the game should to be preserved.
Why do I want remakes at all, you ask? I just want to play more of them Big Grin
(12-11-2012, 03:57 PM)Dazz Wrote: [ -> ]Dark Cloud
Azure Dreams
TimeSplitters
Little Big Adventure

There's more, but those are the ones off the top of my head Tongue
Omg, someone else besides me knows about Azure Dreams; it's a MIRACLE!
Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest.
I've been thinking about this lately and I really want a remake/reboot of Jet Moto.

Or at least some sort of racing game with freaking rocket-powered hover-bike jet skis! Seriously, with today's systems it could make for a very pretty and very fun game. Besides, a crazy sense of speed is that much more potent when you're in a small vehicle!

I mean, you could do that with a new IP or something, it's just that Jet Moto had this sort of flair/style to it. Probably could do without the corporate sponsors though, as much fun as it was to have Mountain Dew and Butterfinger racing teams. Just keep the surf rock in the soundtrack.
Star Tropics would be nice, change of pace with the Zelda games.
Actraiser
Faxanadu
Jackal
Red Arremer series
Adventure Island series

Clash at Demonhead
An NES Shooter/Platformer, kind of like Metroid. What's cool is that there are over 30 routes you traverse over a world map, going from place to place trying to collect the medallions from the bosses in order to stop a life-ending bomb at the summit of the mountain. It's where I got my username from. I actually have really wanted to remake the original and then make a sequel to it. I have a lot of notes written down for it, actually.

Cocoron
A game on the Famicom that was developed by a team that had previously worked for Capcom. It takes place in a dream world where the player makes heroes based on a collection of heads, bodies and weapons that can be upgraded with powerups in game. It was one of the first games with character customization, and was ALMOST remade for the PC Engine CD, but it was scrapped and the rather complete prototype has never been leaked. Another one I'm trying to unofficially sequelize, again just with a lot of written notes and no real programming yet. =X

Legacy of the Wizard
A dungeon-crawling game from the NES era. You had the option of playing as a variety of family members who all became warriors when selected (the dog became a monster. If I remember correctly, other monsters couldn't hurt him). The game was a bit of a dungeon crawler, and the characters had to each go fight their respective bosses and retrieve a sword that the young hero had to use against the dragon they end up releasing. The cool part is that the dragon is in the center of this room that leads to various areas of the underground labyrinth, and you pass by him several times throughout the game and eventually fight him at the end.

Actraiser
A Super Nintendo game that was part a civilization growing simulator and part action platformer. You play the part of the Master, who watches over the people of the world. You control an angel who directs the people and also attacks monsters who would do them harm. Eventually, you get options to go fight greater evils on the ground as the Master and fight enemies and bosses. It had a sequel that did away with the sim aspect, but the game looked gorgeous and had amazing enemy designs.

Battletoads
One of the most frustratingly hard NES games. For some reason my parents bought this for my brother and I, and although we never, EVER came close to beating it, we enjoyed it very much. Battletoads just needs some more love.

That's all for now, I can think up more, but these are the ones that just came right out.
(12-11-2012, 04:08 PM)Rλy Wrote: [ -> ]Castlevania 2: Simon's Quest.
This is something I wish for too. Much as it felt like an unfinished game, I actually liked the atmosphere and the game logic. It was just laboriously repetitive and hard most of the time.
Tom, I'm going to find Actraiser, that sounds incredible!

Both games are unbearably hard at times to the uninitiated.
Knuckles Chaotix. that game had a good concept, but it was bogged down with 25 huge, usually confusing levels, that tended to make it a tedious experience. a remake with better level design would be really fun!
(12-11-2012, 04:01 PM)puggsoy Wrote: [ -> ]Puggsy (Genesis)
-My favourite game due to a big chunk of nostalgia, and the fact that it's an innovative and unique puzzle-platformer with a friendly atmosphere and absolutely fantastic music.
What makes me want a remake/sequel of it even more is the fact that the credits stated "Look out for Puggsy Part II coming soon!" To this day I'm still hoping Traveller's Tales will perhaps look back and think "maybe we should actually make that..."

Ironically, a remake would probably do the franchise justice granted that they actually fix the problems that plagued the original.

And maybe revive a dead dog with new tricks.

(12-11-2012, 04:28 PM)TomGuycott Wrote: [ -> ]Cocoron
A game on the Famicom that was developed by a team that had previously worked for Capcom. It takes place in a dream world where the player makes heroes based on a collection of heads, bodies and weapons that can be upgraded with powerups in game. It was one of the first games with character customization, and was ALMOST remade for the PC Engine CD, but it was scrapped and the rather complete prototype has never been leaked. Another one I'm trying to unofficially sequelize, again just with a lot of written notes and no real programming yet. =X

Battletoads
One of the most frustratingly hard NES games. For some reason my parents bought this for my brother and I, and although we never, EVER came close to beating it, we enjoyed it very much. Battletoads just needs some more love.

Yes, yes, yes, 1000 times yes.

I would throw my money at my screen to make these two games get remade.

Also:
Nazo no Murasame Jō (The Mystery of Murasame Castle) Famicom
This rather lesser known Nintendo title was released on the Famicom Disk system a long time ago. It was basically the more action based version of The Legend of Zelda that actually had really fun game play that could be quite challenging at times. You control Takamaru, a samurai apprentice who investigates the strange happenings at Murasame castle and gets ambushed by an onslaught of Ninjas. The game itself never saw a release outside of Japan and it only got a few ports to other systems. However, it's continually referenced throughout many of Nntendo's games and even the main character made a cameo appearance in a third party game and it had a small mini game in Nintendo Land. It makes me ponder on how much more realistic a remake or even a port to the US or UK seems more and more likely, let alone a reboot.
(12-11-2012, 05:30 PM)Crappy Blue Luigi Wrote: [ -> ]Knuckles Chaotix. that game had a good concept, but it was bogged down with 25 huge, usually confusing levels, that tended to make it a tedious experience. a remake with better level design would be really fun!

Came in here to post this.

I've said it a million times before, and I'll say it again.

A Sonic 1 through 3k game with a revised storyline that connects all four games together (2 through 3k all happen right after each other, but there's no universally agreed-upon [story/canon] explanation for why there are only 6 emeralds in sonic 1 while there are 7 in the rest of the games and then what happens between Sonic 1 and Sonic 2) with completely resprited HD graphics (sprites, no vectors) and a remastered soundtrack (of course with the option to keep the original tracks) would be probably the best thing ever.
Especially if they do it right like they did with Sonic CD and make a completely modernized engine from scratch, but that still keeps all the features and gameplay of the original.
Throw in a PC release that allows for a level editor and modding, and suddenly you have infinite replay value.

And of course a Chaotix remake done the same way.
Killer Instinct.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10