Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Forest-Fighter: Home of the Arsenal
The Armory < [Updated 2/28/16]

Hello ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to the arsenal of Forest-Fighter, a collection of firearms and other assorted weapons featured in video games, films, animations, and real life.

The Forest-Fighter Arsenal is public domain, feel free to pick a gun off the wall and use it to your heart's content, but be sure to mention where you picked that slick shooting iron up from.

The Arsenal will occasionally be open for suggestions of what to add to the collection, and even custom weapon requests are welcome during these periods.

"I always say a polite society is an armed society."
[Image: LSufGqp.png]
Thanked by:
I like the idea, but you seem to be missing content. Sad We normally don't post threads in this section without something to show first.
God is good.  Big Grin

An old fart who sits on a chair, giving animation and pixeling advice,... and calls everyone son...
Thanked by:
(12-22-2014, 06:05 PM)SmithyGCN Wrote: I like the idea, but you seem to be missing content. Sad We normally don't post threads in this section without something to show first.

The first line is a link.
Thanked by:
Surround them in image tags so they're readily visible

Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/5zRkJ8D.png[/img]
does:

[Image: 5zRkJ8D.png]
Animations - MFGG TKO (scrapped) - tFR
[Image: QUmE6.gif]
"It feels that time is better spent on original creations" - Konjak
Focus on the performance, the idea, not the technical bits or details - Milt Kahl
Thanked by:
I'm very aware of this, but I'm displeased with the compression by the forum's borders. It's currently in link format due to the size of the image, in other words.
Thanked by:
I can't help but note every post so far is just people nitpicking on the formatting of displaying the content rather than actually commenting on the sprite/s themselves, which are clearly and easily accessible.

That aside. I recall when you started this project. I'm surprised that it's kept so consistent since then. That said, you might want to see how the scale goes up against a few other sprite-styles just to see how the utility is for them.
Thanked by: Rederik_Wood
(12-22-2014, 06:35 PM)DoctorGrey Wrote: That aside. I recall when you started this project. I'm surprised that it's kept so consistent since then. That said, you might want to see how the scale goes up against a few other sprite-styles just to see how the utility is for them.

Back in 2010, Long time ago, huh? As for the style compatibility, it was started with ModGen in mind, as seen from Sonic in the corner. However, that style may be defunct by now for all I know, I've been out of the loop for a long time.
Thanked by:
Huh? There was only two posts, mine and Smithy's. There wasn't a link to even look at before his post.

C+C: There is too much detail for such small sprites which makes them hard to read clearly.
Focus on the performance, the idea, not the technical bits or details - Milt Kahl
Thanked by:
(12-22-2014, 06:41 PM)Rederik_Wood Wrote:
(12-22-2014, 06:35 PM)DoctorGrey Wrote: That aside. I recall when you started this project. I'm surprised that it's kept so consistent since then. That said, you might want to see how the scale goes up against a few other sprite-styles just to see how the utility is for them.

Back in 2010, Long time ago, huh? As for the style compatibility, it was started with ModGen in mind, as seen from Sonic in the corner. However, that style may be defunct by now for all I know, I've been out of the loop for a long time.

It's defunct outside of fangaming communities, I believe.

(12-22-2014, 06:42 PM)TheShyGuy Wrote: Huh? There was only two posts, mine and Smithy's.  There wasn't a link to even look at before his post.

I saw the thread when it went up and when it was edited moments afterward. The link was there. :/
Thanked by:
I'll take your word for it, sorry about the misunderstanding.
Thanked by:
(12-22-2014, 06:07 PM)Rederik_Wood Wrote:
(12-22-2014, 06:05 PM)SmithyGCN Wrote: I like the idea, but you seem to be missing content. Sad We normally don't post threads in this section without something to show first.

The first line is a link.

Ah, I'm sorry. Looks like I overlooked it.
God is good.  Big Grin

An old fart who sits on a chair, giving animation and pixeling advice,... and calls everyone son...
Thanked by:
I agree that there's too much detail on these. Some of them also either have spots that are transparent or blend into the background, which makes a lot of them look weirdly perforated. Some of them look like maybe they're meant to be broken into pieces, but they aren't all spaced apart equally, so I have no idea. The portal gun also looks like it's made of glass, and most of the text is too small to be readable.

I know a lot of people have been nitpicking about the format, but I still think some more organization would greatly improve this overall.
Thanked by:
At first I assumed that the image had just been shrank by my browser, but after looking at them in Graphics Gale I realized that most (nearly all) of these sprites are quite noisy and make readability a real issue. As far as the sprites themselves are concerned, they represent the guns they are based from quite well, and the shapes and forms are good, but the detail on these sprites translate more as noise than detail to me; I seriously had to zoom the image by like 400% to really understand what I was looking at.

You don't seem to have too many colors in your palettes, but your placement in clusters really hinders the readability at low zoom or native resolutions. Simplifying overall shapes and omitting random one pixel details would help readability a ton, I think.
[Image: 22610_s.gif]

Thanked by:
The Arsenal < Updated 12/23/14

A few organizational fixes, nothing permanent there, New handguns and machine pistols, eliminated near-white transparency confusion, and a new contrasting background for better silhouette reading.

I'm starting to see what you guys are talking about with noise and color clustering at native resolution, but at the same time I'm questioning how to reduce the details without oversimplifying. Any suggestions?
Thanked by: Sevenstitch
The main way you can clean these guns up is by reducing or removing the amount of dithering on them; on sprites this small dithering tends to just jumble
up the image. Also, perhaps you could limit the highlight tones on the guns, as many of them have single or double pixels of highlights in strange areas that
break up the lines of the guns.

Try reducing them to the primary shapes of the guns the sprites are referenced from and only add detail where necessary instead of everywhere the reference
has detail. At sizes this small readability in the sprite is more important than overall accuracy to your reference material.
[Image: 22610_s.gif]

Thanked by: