Users browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)
puggsoy's Bottomless Top Hat Of Sprites
Quote:...(most likely it's optimised for the game or something)...
...apparently Supergiant Games thought this was the best way to make the sheets...

It is if you dont want any of that nasty blank space eating up your memory. Especially if a single enemy takes up 40mb plus, imagine how much more memory it wold take if they didn't pack the sprites.

Quote:I know I could rearrange them for animation purposes, but seriously if you have a look yourself you'll see how hard that'd be. Not only does each sprite have subtle transparency bits and such (so I'd have to cut every single one carefully), but some frames are very similar so it's hard to see what order they come in.

Think about how the programmer got the sprites to animate properly ingame with all that mess. Do you think he or the artist did all that manually, putting each sprite perfectly fitting in like that? He obviously can't use the traditional animating way of using grid cells to index the frames in his code since theyre not aligned...or even the same size! What im getting at is that, they packed the sprites (yes, obvious). But i bet it looked a whole lot simpler, maybe all in a grid or all separate images? Then after everything was final, they packed the sprites for memory and loading optimization using a program that'll do that for them. To keep the correct frame source rectangle, the program probably outputted an xml defining the new frame sources of the old ones. They then used the new source rectangle frames in the game.

Pointless post is pointless? Nope. You decompiled/decompressed(?) all the games resources right? Maybe theres an xml file defining all the frame source rectangles. Use the information to make a program that will line everything up nice and pretty and then save it. The program i made to extract all the sprite sheets only saved loaded texture2d's by testing if it is of that type. I did this to avoid bugs like trying to save a sfx and then you having to look through the folders to take all the sfx out.
Animations - MFGG TKO (scrapped) - tFR
[Image: QUmE6.gif]
"It feels that time is better spent on original creations" - Konjak
Focus on the performance, the idea, not the technical bits or details - Milt Kahl
Thanked by: puggsoy, Garamonde

Messages In This Thread
RE: puggsoy's Bottomless Top Hat Of Rips - by Ton - 05-02-2012, 03:02 PM
RE: puggsoy's Bottomless Top Hat Of Rips - by Ton - 06-27-2012, 06:45 PM
RE: puggsoy's Bottomless Top Hat Of Rips - by Ton - 06-27-2012, 06:47 PM
RE: puggsoy's Bottomless Top Hat Of Rips - by TheShyGuy - 08-16-2012, 08:08 PM
RE: puggsoy's Bottomless Top Hat Of Rips - by Ton - 11-04-2012, 09:57 PM
RE: puggsoy's Bottomless Top Hat Of Rips - by Ton - 12-29-2012, 04:01 PM