Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Could I Make a Game if I Wanted To?
There are four Wario-Land games in the series. I wanted to get started on the fifth installment sometime this summer. I plan on finishing this teaser of course, but I wanted to know if I should fix anything before it's finished.

This is my first try on spriting a mountain. Does it look like a mountain, or does it just look formless? I have practically no experience in spriting, I only started spriting various things a month ago. Am I good enough to start on an actual game, or do I need more practice?

The mountain is seeping out of the painting for a reason, but I'll explain that a few days from now. Sorry for being so wordy guys, I just want to make sure I'm clear on this and your input should make everything come out juuuust right.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanked by:
Sorry to burst your bubble but a fifith part is in the works as is.
Thanked by:
Shyguy Grey Wrote:Sorry to burst your bubble but a fifith part is in the works as is.

Hi Grey

Sorry if I sound clueless, but I browsed Wario Land 5 and came up with nothing. There's a Wario game that's coming out in July this year, but no Wario Land that I've heard of. Is this an official or fan-made game in the works? Also, did you like the spritework in the thumbnail?
Sorry for a double post, but the style character-wise is based on the Mario and Luigi series. As far as backgrounds go among other things, there will be a good variety in style to create interest.
Thanked by:
Ross.Irving Wrote:
Shyguy Grey Wrote:Sorry to burst your bubble but a fifith part is in the works as is.

Hi Grey

Sorry if I sound clueless, but I browsed Wario Land 5 and came up with nothing. There's a Wario game that's coming out in July this year, but no Wario Land that I've heard of. Is this an official or fan-made game in the works? Also, did you like the spritework in the thumbnail?
Sorry for a double post, but the style character-wise is based on the Mario and Luigi series. As far as backgrounds go among other things, there will be a good variety in style to create interest.

The one comming out is Wario Land Shake, for the Wii.
Also, the Wario you made needs some work. His face looks a bit scrunched up, and I doubt Wario would have a huge happy smile. Maybe a sinister grin.
Thanked by:
All right. I couldn't find a way to make his face look less scrunched, it's a small size and I intend to keep it that way, not to ignore constructive criticism. I did try to make him look more sinister. Also, I started work on the sunset behind the mountain.

I hope that's not "cheating" when you're spriting. I found a picture of a sunset and I took the dropper and took a few colors from that and used them on this. Instead of a smooth transition though in the sky, it's like three bars--brown, orange and yellow. I need to blend that a little more. Remember, this is ALL from scratch, not one damn thing is modified or edited in any way.

If I go through with a game, I want to make sure that you guys are impressed with the skill put into it, no room for error here. Thank you.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanked by:
his reflection should match him
Thanked by:
Whether or not Wario Land 5 is coming out a Wario fan game would be cool. The mountain screen looks good I suppose. Wario looks like a doofus though.
Thanked by:
This is quite good since you did just start spriting. As for being able to make a complete fangame, know that spriting is only one of the talents you will need to possess.

Also, color choice is a very crucial element of spriting. Simply clicking around for colors provides a random selection at best.
Trifles go to make perfection, and perfection is no trifle.
~Michelangelo

[Image: 3xzb5z]
Thanked by:
don't you think this is a little much for a 'first game'?
start with something much much smaller, something that you can actually finish.
something with simple graphics (not too simple, over simplified is getting old)
btw, original games > fan games
Thanked by:
Thank you BRICKLIN, sb3002 and Yoder.

The reflection should match the edited Wario, that's a mistake of mine. Sorry. I've always believed that Wario was sort of an obnoxious doofus in the first place, since he says and does a lot of dumb things, which are usually motivated by his greed or jealous nature. I can see how he would seem off in my depiction from that viewpoint, though. Also, I was only looking for appealing colors, so hopefully it doesn't look too random in the palette. Should I rework this picture to follow a certain palette? Like sixteen colors, or thirty-two, or 256?

Also, since I wanted to started spriting tiles and backgrounds for the supposed game in progress, what requirements should I follow? Is there a common tile-size?
Thanked by:
mozzy Wrote:don't you think this is a little much for a 'first game'?
start with something much much smaller, something that you can actually finish.

Yeah, I always get high hopes over this kind of stuff. That's why all of the gameplay mechanics will be tested in one general area, plus a few moves you would not actually get at the game's start, but later. I've already started on the basic four directions of his movement, and then hopefully diagonals. If the reception is extremely positive, I'll actually continue. I'm just kind of fiddling around right now, but trying to follow some kind of template in case I change my mind and get serious.

I agree, it's definitely a good idea to start simple, and this may not look like it, but it is. I promise. I have severed every other internet connection I have (DeviantART, Unilang, etc.) just so I could focus on this during the summer. I'm trying not to rush myself and then stop altogether.

Plus, I just got an awesome new program to help with sprite animation, GraphicsGale. It's got an onion skin, so I can see what I'm doing.
Thanked by:
Onion skin? Are you referring to translucent layering?

Also, I believe Wario Land games were platformers.
~Michelangelo

Thanked by:
Yoder Wrote:Onion skin? Are you referring to translucent layering?

Also, I believe Wario Land games were platformers.

This game is definitely a platformer, I just wanted to go with a more three dimensional feel to it, so it has the top down view. I've played all four of the Wario-Land games, man. What warrants you to make that statement to try and make ME look like the newbie? New to the forum? Yes, definitely, but not at games.
Thanked by:
I wasn't "trying" to do anything. Stop being so ready to take offense where it wasn't meant. It was just a helpful comment after all. Rolleyes

I was just confused by your statement regarding 8-directional movement, because platformers archetypically don't allow the player to navigate in 8 directions (seeing as gravity is usually present).
~Michelangelo

Thanked by:
Yoder Wrote:I wasn't "trying" to do anything. Stop being so ready to take offense where it wasn't meant. It was just a helpful comment after all. Rolleyes

I was just confused by your statement regarding 8-directional movement, because platformers archetypically don't allow the player to navigate in 8 directions (seeing as gravity is usually present).

Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga is a good example of an 8 direction platformer.
pkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
Thanked by: