Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
How do you rip sprites from old Game Maker games?
Question 
I am having trouble with decompiling Sexy Hiking, mainly because I have no idea what Game Maker version it was made in. The game came out in 2002, so that narrowed down my options, except the decompiler I used didn't work. Is there any other way to rip sprites from old Game Maker games?
Thanked by:
Does it have a data.win file? If so GMExtract should work.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by:
All I have is the exe file. Where can I find the data.win file?

EDIT: After doing some research, I can't seem to pinpoint the exact year Sexy Hiking came out. Bennett Foddy claims both on the store page of "Getting over it" and within said game that "Sexy Hiking" came out in 2002. However, some other websites say the game came out in 2004; most of them say 2007. The download from Jazzuo's website is a zip archive that contains only the exe file with an icon depicting a red ball. If I am remembering correctly, the last version of Game Maker to use that icon for exe files was "v7.0".

This, combined with the unclear 2002-2007 range of a release date, makes it REALLY difficult to figure out what version of Game Maker the game was made in. It could be anywhere from "v4.2" to "v7.0".

Here are a few links that I can provide: 
Official Download Page
Full Game Maker Changelog
Thanked by:
Oh wow OK yeah, that looks very old. I'm afraid I don't know then, you may have to do some weird stuff like try dumping the graphics from the RAM.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by:
I'm... not exactly sure how to do that...
Could you please elaborate?
Thanked by: