Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
GMExtract
GMExtract is a program I made to extract sprites and sounds from games made with Game Maker Studio. To run it you can either double-click the executable and it will bring up input file and output folder dialogues, or you can run it via the command-line:

Code:
Usage: GMExtract inFile outDir [-s|-a]
   inFile: The data.win file to extract from
   outDir: The folder to save the extracted files to
   -s: Only extract sprites
   -a: Only extract audio
(You can omit the -s and -a options to extract both.)

I personally recommend the second method since the folder dialogue is a bit inconvenient, but it's there for those who have trouble using the command prompt.

The files will be extracted into "sprites" and "audio" subfolders in the chosen output directory. For audio, many games also have a number of sounds and music in the same folder as the game's .exe, and are not within the data.win.

Big thanks to PoroCYon and Mirrawrs for their digging into the format here and here. Although their studies were for Undertale specifically, turns out most of it applies to pretty much all data.win files.

The program is open-source on GitHub here, you can download it in the releases section.

Be sure to post here if you have any questions, compliments, or issues. Enjoy!
I dislike this in so many levels, well, kinda, it doesnt work for me, it doesnt matter what i press, it always close itself, i test it on one of my games.

Windows 7 x64

Anyway, congratz for the program (Even if i dont like the use of it u.u)

EDIT: Wow, it worked (I didnt understood that part before), this will be like a nightmare to GM users o.o, Cheers for the program (But it was a bad idea :v)
Thanked by:
(01-06-2017, 01:16 PM)Khyze Wrote: I dislike this in so many levels, well, kinda, it doesnt work for me, it doesnt matter what i press, it always close itself, i test it on one of my games.

Windows 7 x64

It's working great for me. Are you running it through command prompt (like the OP says?)

Nice work on the tool, puggs! I didn't realize that it ripped everything with the original filenames in tact - that's pretty darn rad!
[Image: 582217063e.png][Image: RWDCRik.png]

Thanked by: Khyze, puggsoy
Making it a command-line program wasn't a final design choice, it was simply the quickest and simplest way to make the program usable. As I said it's currently command-line, I do intend to add some form of UI (albeit just a pop-up dialogue for file selection) since I expect be more widely used than my other programs.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by: Khyze, Raccoon Sam, Shade
Just updated it to add more user-friendly dialogues if you run it without any arguments (or just double-clicking). The folder dialogue can't create folders and is a bit inconvenient but unfortunately I can't do much about that :\
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by:
(01-06-2017, 01:16 PM)Khyze Wrote: I dislike this in so many levels, well, kinda, it doesnt work for me, it doesnt matter what i press, it always close itself, i test it on one of my games.

Windows 7 x64

EDIT: Wow, it worked (I didnt understood that part before), this will be like a nightmare to GM users o.o, Cheers for the program (But it was a bad idea :v)

Hello!
I can't find the link to download this program and does it work on windows 10?!
Thanks!
Thanked by:
There's a link near the bottom of the first post.
Thanked by:
how do you use this thing?
Thanked by:
i cant seem to run it or the hx files could you help me with that? i dont know how to use them
Thanked by: