Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Will Overwatch ever get new male heroes?
Now I'm not a huge fan of Overwatch, due to the fact that I have no money to buy it and it's not available on Steam (The latter reason being a major turnoff for me. Ded ), but one thing I've noticed about the game is that it has an immense cast of playable characters of all genders, species, and cultures for an FPS, which is perfectly fine in my book.

However, despite the large roster, one thing that stuck out to me is that the majority of new heroes that've been released are female. Question

I dunno about you, but this feels kinda...unfair to me, even though I've never played the game. I mean if you think about it, ever since 2015, OW has gotten a grand total of 4 new female heroes (Zarya, Mei, Ana, and Sombra, who I personally believe should've been named "Umbra".) and only two new males (McCree and Lucio, and I'm sorry if I spelt the first one wrong.). 

So, to anyone who actually plays/played Overwatch, do you think Blizzard will ever release any new male heroes, or will they just keep adding more "diverse" women to please the SJW's?

P.S: please don't hate me for posting this.
I don't usually watch shows for little girls, but when I do, it's My Little Pony.Cool
Stay pony, my friends...
Thanked by:
1: Men were portrayed in a shitton of games and no one complained. I don't see why more women should cause the reverse reaction
2: Doomfist is going to be released so the entirety of your argument is moot tbh
3: Sombra is shadow in spanish, which is her native tongue. I think it's cool to have different names
4: Diversity is never a minus, it's always a plus.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
(01-31-2017, 12:28 AM)Gors Wrote: 1: Men were portrayed in a shitton of games and no one complained.
Are you kidding me?

Thanked by: Kriven
* Kosheh loudly sighs

yes, the game's going to get male heroes; they're still adding new event features to this game. I think they said they'd round out the roster at like 30~35 heroes? that's gonna be like a 10 year development cycle at this point

also yeah, gors mentioned doomfist but because this topic was posted blizzard just called and told me they're going to make them a genderless robotic entity

edit: if you look at the Overwatch roster:
- there are 9 men (assuming Winston is male - it's 8 if you don't count him. zenyatta presents as male so if you count him AND winston, it's 10)
- 9 women
- 2 robots

given the roster is perfectly balanced you'll probably see M/F/M/F/M/F releases from here on

(01-31-2017, 06:05 AM)Koopaul Wrote:
(01-31-2017, 12:28 AM)Gors Wrote: 1: Men were portrayed in a shitton of games and no one complained.
Are you kidding me?

what is this kneejerk reaction post even supposed to be? were people complaining about only playing as a man in contra? super mario? pac-man?

im talkin like 1993 here not 2016
[Image: 57d2BGH.png]
! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! refs
shoutouts to cutesu for the new av!
Thanked by: DioShiba
Gors said no one complained that men were in a shitton of games. He never specified when. And why does that matter?

Nobody complained back then because it didn't matter. All that mattered was that it was a fun game. I bet if the cast of Overwatch was in an oldschool arcade game no one would have anything to say about them other than they were cool and fun to play as. Now we have people like Neon Streak complaining that there are too many women? C'mon. None of this matters.

Thanked by: Kriven
You also can't forget that it's all about the creator's artistic vision. It's their work so what characters they want are what characters will be made. Things don't need to be 100% perfectly balanced every time.

Games like Shantae have a mostly female cast and there's nothing wrong with that. In fact, Wayforward in general loves women characters in their games, but they're always developed and interesting. On the other hand, Final Fantasy 15 had an almost all male cast, which greatly improved the bro road trip vibe they were going for. If they had say, changed Prompto to a woman willy nilly, it would've ruined the narrative.

Demanding that they change their work just to satisfy you isn't exactly fair to the artist's work.
Quote:Nobody complained back then because it didn't matter. All that mattered was that it was a fun game. I bet if the cast of Overwatch was in an oldschool arcade game no one would have anything to say about them other than they were cool and fun to play as. Now we have people like Neon Streak complaining that there are too many women? C'mon. None of this matters.

Yes, it does not matter at all. The player is just an avatar for your actions to be translated into gameplay. In the very end, it all boils down to gameplay.

But you can do better than that. You should know, you play games.

Characters can have depth, they can have something going on, they can have personality.

And a defining trait of personality is, indeed, where they are from, how they present as, and yes, this also includes gender.

This being said, you probably could make a fun game as Overwatch, gameplay wise, if you removed all models and replaced them with stickmen figures. But then people would not get attached to the characters - they would not sympathize with them at all.

You see, it's actually fulfilling to me when they make brazilian people not be like, fucking Green Skinned People With Orange Hair That Has Electric Attacks in games, and while I am not of brazilian ethnicity, it's the culture I most relate with, and this is great. I mean. What are you going to lose by actually adding human-like characters in game? Are you afraid to make characters somehow?

By putting some thought on your characters, your game is now a relatable experience, not just random variables shuffling ones and zeroes around.

So you might not even care and that's fine. But to say it's pointless or useless, then you really don't understand modern gaming at all.

(01-31-2017, 08:08 AM)cloud6625 Wrote: You also can't forget that it's all about the creator's artistic vision. It's their work so what characters they want are what characters will be made. Things don't need to be 100% perfectly balanced every time.

This is also true but the vision of Overwatch in particular is to be as inclusive as possible. Think about it - it's basically a worldwide war but in FPS form. There are characters from every country so of course you're aiming for diversity here

Shantae is ok and Final Fantasy is ok because they have a reason why things are like this - it's a plot device and it works better this way.

But Overwatch's main appeal is to be inclusive to all kinds of people - that's to say, increasing their potential player base. It makes sense this way and the variety makes for a virtual world that is more like, you know

the real world

immersion is everything and i personally believe that representativity is a way to achieve that.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Thanked by: miyabi95_
wasn't the overwatch cast meant to be an alternative to TF2's in that they're more relatable to actual people and not overly-cartoony and war-crazed freaks? i know they're from different companies, but that's how i see it.
[Image: ErbRIBqVkAUtE8F?format=png&name=900x900]
Instagram Twitch Twitter YouTube
Thanked by:
(01-31-2017, 07:29 AM)Koopaul Wrote: Now we have people like Neon Streak complaining that there are too many women? C'mon. None of this matters.

I wasn't complaining about there being too many women in OW, I just found it odd that the majority of the newest heroes have been women. I don't have anything against making more female game characters-just as long as they're not created to appease the members of 3rd wave feminism (Which sadly, is the direction that most game developers are going for nowadays  Sad ).

(01-31-2017, 08:08 AM)cloud6625 Wrote: You also can't forget that it's all about the creator's artistic vision. It's their work so what characters they want are what characters will be made. Things don't need to be 100% perfectly balanced every time.

Games like Shantae have a mostly female cast and there's nothing wrong with that. In fact, Wayforward in general loves women characters in their games, but they're always developed and interesting. On the other hand, Final Fantasy 15 had an almost all male cast, which greatly improved the bro road trip vibe they were going for. If they had say, changed Prompto to a woman willy nilly, it would've ruined the narrative.

Demanding that they change their work just to satisfy you isn't exactly fair to the artist's work.
Your first and last sentences pretty much explain why feminists will never get game developers to create them the game of their dreams.

Thank you for speaking the truth!Thumbs Up
I don't usually watch shows for little girls, but when I do, it's My Little Pony.Cool
Stay pony, my friends...
Thanked by:
Gonna just leave this here.
Thanked by: miyabi95_
Wait, let me get this straight, you're complaining there are no new male characters in a game you have NEVER played?

I mean, first - it's a weird complaint. Like who cares what sex they are. As long as new characters are different and add something to the game - it's all good.

But say you loved the game, and spent 1000s of hours on it, and for some reason you don't like playing as female characters (which is odd but whatever, let's roll with it) - then I guess I could see why you'd be a bit bummed about the new characters being all female.

But you haven't.

Like seriously, this is a really weird thing to bring up...

Side note: feminists game of their dreams comment - what the fuck?
[Image: randomimage.cgi]
What I meant by that comment was that instead of actually taking the time to learn how to make a video game (Which honestly isn't that hard to do considering that there are millions of tutorials online.), many feminists/SJWs/etc. choose to "persuade" game devs to make their games-both current and upcoming-cater to feminist interests (EX: Covering female characters' entire bodies in non-sexualized clothing.).

Now, there are some feminists who do make their own video games...unfortunately, they usually end up being rather lackluster to the average non-feminist gamer (One such example is Zoe Quinn's Depression Quest, if you can even call that a game Unsure ).

Hope this clears things up for you! Wink
Stay pony, my friends...
Thanked by:
(01-31-2017, 10:32 PM)Neon Streak Wrote: What I meant by that comment was that instead of actually taking the time to learn how to make a video game (Which honestly isn't that hard to do considering that there are millions of tutorials online.)

Hahahaha oh man, nice one right there. Gotta love this humour.

Anyway, correct me if I'm wrong, but Overwatch is a team-based FPS right? A game about killing each other. It's a fun game, from what I hear. Sweet.
Now you're remarking on the fact that a large number of the playable characters are female (about half, according to Kosheh). Yes this is "odd", because not many games in the past have done this. This one does. Cool, it's progressive. Well done, Blizzard.

So why does this thread exist?
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Its especially odd as since release, there have only been 2 characters added to the game. Ana and Sombra. That's an especially small sample to get concerned over.

(01-31-2017, 10:32 PM)Neon Streak Wrote: Now, there are some feminists who do make their own video games...unfortunately, they usually end up being rather lackluster to the average non-feminist gamer (One such example is Zoe Quinn's Depression Quest, if you can even call that a game Unsure ).

Hope this clears things up for you! Wink

I don't understand what it is you are trying to say here.
[Image: k0OsVum.png][Image: NXpkf1V.gif][Image: psychicspacecow.png]
Thanked by:
well i'm sure a game that's marketed towards feminists won't necessarily click well with non-feminists...

maybe YOU don't see it as an "actual game," but maybe if i (a feminist but not an SJW just so we're clear) sat down and played it i would find some enjoyment out of it.

entertainment is very subjective. you can't please everyone.
[Image: ErbRIBqVkAUtE8F?format=png&name=900x900]
Instagram Twitch Twitter YouTube
Thanked by: