Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Pokémon Generations by Pokémon
A random question just out of curiosity:

Completely ignore all the game mechanics, characters, maps, gyms, graphics, et cetera that each generation introduced.

What I want to know is what Pokemon generation you consider the best, based SOLELY on the actual pokemon that were INTRODUCED in that generation.

If you're feeling particularly bold, you can even go so far as to order them all from best to worst.
Thanked by:
well that's easy, none of them because when you're ignoring all game mechanics, characters, maps, gyms, graphics, et cetera it's just a bucket of stats. what the hell kind of excitement is there when there isn't even pikachu Cool

though if we're really gonna do this probably gen 5, because by itself it was actually a pretty balanced gen, with very few spikers and literally only one reliable toxic user. the legendaries also weren't ridiculous either and didn't make you want to kill yourself. playing solely unova tournaments felt really fresh and new and nothing felt horribly OP because heck even EXP gains were unique to that gen allowing for further balancing of like...
level-specific cups not feeling terribly imba, either. everything was just...nice and chill af

that and you also didn't have 10 year old linkin park coolkid shit like deoxys or darkrai or arceus
[Image: 57d2BGH.png]
! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! refs
shoutouts to cutesu for the new av!
Thanked by: BullockDS
(03-12-2016, 01:29 PM)Kosheh Wrote: that and you also didn't have 10 year old linkin park coolkid shit like deoxys or darkrai or arceus

I'm curious as to what you mean by this. Is it their designs you're talking about, or how they work in battle? I'm inclined to say the latter considering you focused on that while praising Gen V.

I'm naturally heavily-biased towards Gen III, but if I had to choose...
I'd agree with Kosheh and say Gen V is probably the best. It had 100% new Pokemon, absolutely no old ones or evolutions for old ones. It was an exciting experience going through the first time and seeing all the new Pokemon.
[Image: a22d393ddd.png][Image: ny_mono_2015.png](drawn by Kitsu)
Thanked by:
(03-12-2016, 01:29 PM)Kosheh Wrote: that and you also didn't have 10 year old linkin park coolkid shit like deoxys

downvoted  Angry

Deoxys is great.
Thanked by: Helmo, SchAlternate, Kriven, Rhyme
Gen 5 or Gen 1

Gen 1 had stylish but simple designs that didn't need a million ornaments.

Gen 5 added the most and they were pretty balanced and cool looking B )
Thanked by: SchAlternate
Best memories are with Gen III (some) and IV (mostly). Hoenn was a bit too confusing for me (at whatever age I was) to explore - too many unnecessary side-quests. Sinnoh was a bit better balanced to where it only took me like three months to beat.
Like I said before, if I had the time, I would jump back in starting with Gen V.
[Image: ErbRIBqVkAUtE8F?format=png&name=900x900]
Instagram Twitch Twitter YouTube
Thanked by:
Gen 2. It brought us more ice and water types (among which, my favorite Pokemon fam, Chinchou and Lanturn came), but also we got some cool looking dark types like Houndoom.
[Image: tamerkoh.gif?9][Image: DevBanner.png][Image: Youtube.gif]DLBROOKS33
Thanked by:
wow. almost everyone agrees with me that gen v was pretty great on its own. this is great =)

(03-12-2016, 03:05 PM)Lemonray Wrote:
(03-12-2016, 01:29 PM)Kosheh Wrote: that and you also didn't have 10 year old linkin park coolkid shit like deoxys

downvoted  Angry

r u fucking kidding me. go back to reddit u smellty neckbeard

(03-12-2016, 02:29 PM)Monobrobe Wrote:
(03-12-2016, 01:29 PM)Kosheh Wrote: that and you also didn't have 10 year old linkin park coolkid shit like deoxys or darkrai or arceus

I'm curious as to what you mean by this. Is it their designs you're talking about, or how they work in battle? I'm inclined to say the latter considering you focused on that while praising Gen V.
and seeing all the new Pokemon.

both, actually. i'm specifically talking about like deoxys-s, mind
but like the aforementioned character designs go too out of their way to be Big Bad and Cool. Like, sure, gen V has Landorus and Zekrom, but just look at how doofy they look in comparison to every other tryhard gen before it
[Image: 57d2BGH.png]
! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! refs
shoutouts to cutesu for the new av!
Thanked by:
Personally, I find most of my favorite Pokemon come from the Gold/Silver generation.

Piloswine is my favorite pokemon of all. Umbreon is my favorite Eeveelution, followed by Espeon which is also from the same generation. It's also got Dunsparce, Donphan, Chikorita, Noctowl, Smeargle, Tyranitar, and quite a few more on my favorites list.

It's also got my favorite set of legendaries. After Mewtwo, my favorite legendary pokemon is Ho-oh. I also really like Lugia and the legendary dogs, especially Entei.

Actually, truth be told, I don't think there's a single Legendary after Gen 2 that I like.

My second favorite generation would have to be the very first one. Mewtwo is at the top of my list as far as favorites go. Then it also has Charizard, Raichu, Gengar, Sanslash, Nidoking and Nidoqueen, Vulpix, Arcanine, Gyrados, Mew, and a bunch of other favorites not immediately coming to mind.

In my opinion I think the Black/White generation was probably the weakest as far as introduced pokemon goes. It did have some good ones mind you, such as Galvantula, Litwick, and Volcarona; but overall I felt the designs in that generation tended to be either generic, dull, or basically just repeats of gen 1 pokemon with new designs.
Thanked by:
Hmmm...Well now that you say favorite generation based on Pokemon designs...

My answer's probably the same. While I did watch the anime on a nightly basis, I didn't grow up with the first two generations. Pikachu's cute. I like the concept of the Eeveelutions, and Jigglypuff would probably be my main of the team of I did play the first two generations. I'd probably try catching Mew, but that's as far as I'd ever go with legendaries.

So yeah. 3 and 4 are pretty awesome in terms of Pokemon designs. Absol was my first "I know I'm gonna love this game" Pokemon because it looks so effing epic! Whoever specifically worked on some of my favorite designs like Lucario, Weavile, Kirlia, etc. needs to keep at it!
[Image: ErbRIBqVkAUtE8F?format=png&name=900x900]
Instagram Twitch Twitter YouTube
Thanked by:
As far as Pokemon designs, I don't really have a favorite. Gen 4 had too many overdesigned Pokes though. My favorite overall was Gen 3. It got me back into Pokemon after Gen 2 killed my interest.

[Image: 357n7r6_zps67bc167e.gif]
Thanked by:
gotta say that i enjoy gen 1, gen 3, and gen 5. here's me hoping that gen 7 is good, because i wanna keep liking odd number generations :<
[Image: XeE6VeC.gif]
I'll go with gen V on the grounds that it added the most Pokemon. That being said, my favorite legendary is Ho-Oh and my favorite Pokemon overall is Exeggutor.
[Image: k0OsVum.png][Image: NXpkf1V.gif][Image: psychicspacecow.png]
Thanked by:
I'd go with Gen 3 for breaking the mold of what was already established in terms of Pokemon design, although Gen 4 had some really good designs as well (come at me bro, I'M RIPPED). That, and Sceptile is best starter and Giratina is the best legendary.
(01-24-2014, 07:52 AM)Gors Wrote: those are really fucking classy surnames you've got there

[Image: tumblr_npvw95As6k1tzzv2wo1_540.gif]
Gen 1, 2, and 5, because I like cute and silly looking Pokemon.