Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
.data file (Shantae and the Pirate's Curse)
Anyone know how to extract a .data file? And looking at a hex editor, everything inside are .vol files.
Thanked by:
Someone might already know this, but just in case they don't can you upload it?
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by:
Here it is.

I'm kind of in a hurry, so it might not be fully uploaded for a while.
Thanked by:
I'm currently working on the .data file format (from both Shantae and Mighty Switch Force HD). Suffice it to say it's complicated, hence no real results after a few days of hacking on it.

Inside the (compressed) .data file is a bunch of (uncompressed) .vol files; I found a BMS script for extracting those; fairly simple.
Inside the .vol files are a bunch of other files; some of them are .anim files that contain animation data for each sprite, there's a few other formats as well.
Inside the .anim files are a few images, in a completely wonderful format:

[Image: Bomb_11.png]

It looks similar to the image piecing and splicing used in other WayForward titles; it's not. Those formats were positively sane in comparison. Sad

I haven't had a TON of time to work on this yet, this was after a couple days, and I was trying to crack the rest of the .anim format before announcing I was working on it. Particularly since I'm crazy busy with school and work right now; not a lot of free time for ripping.

I can give (C++) source code for what I have so far if anyone is interested; I was just working on it and didn't have anything to release yet.
Thanked by:
Wasn't Ploaj working on the format?
Thanked by:
I had PM'd him part of a .data fie before I found the BMS script; I'm not sure if he got anywhere with it or not.
Thanked by:
Upload some of the anims.
I've already figured out this format for the 3DS Shantae, maybe it's similar?

And yes, it's unusually complicated for some reason :p
Thanked by:
Here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3181...mfiles.zip

There's some .image files that have image data as well (pieced up similarly, I think), so I included a few of those also.
Thanked by:
Any luck with this so far, Ploaj? I haven't had a chance to look at it recently, myself.
Thanked by:
That one took a while. This format is pretty complex! Thanks to Ploaj for pointing out how source image coordinates are stored.

You can download the program(s) here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3181...SFHDEx.zip

Firstly, there's a scooby_looney.bms BMS script (which I found over at xentax) that can be used to extract the .data file. Inside that is a bunch of .vol files, which can be extracted with the included volEx.exe. Once that's done, you'll have a bunch of different files. The .anim files you can extract with animEx.exe, I'll work on the .image format a little later. Most of the sprites and stuff of note seem to be in the .anim files, though.

A few anim files crash the program, I'll take a look at those later also.

(animEx extracts everything into subfolders, so extracting Bomb.anim gives you output/Bomb/[animation names] subfolders. These subfolders can be dragged into my Sprite Sheeter program for fast sheeting. Yay workflow!)

I'll be uploading Mighty Switch Force! HD sheets over the next few days; there's a few Shantae sheets missing (like bosses and NPCs) that I'll likely be making/uploading soon also.
Thanked by:
If you ever figure out .image or .wave, please let me know.
Thanked by:
Just figured out .image this morning, I'll let you know how .wave looks. I haven't worked with sound formats before (though the soundtrack is either cheap or free on virt's bandcamp iirc).
Thanked by:
I was more looking for sound effects than music, that's why I asked.
Thanked by:
There's an imageEx.exe in the same zip file now (download again) which extracts single-image .image files. There's a couple of corner cases that the tools crash on (which I'm working on), but about 95% or so of the time they work. It's enough for me to start uploading sheets of Mighty Switch Force HD, anyway!

I'm not really a sound guy (as I said before), but these .wave files *might* be uncompressed audio? I've tried importing as raw audio with various settings, and I've gotten out some super-staticky stuff with a little bit of correct voiceovers in the first second or so. I'm afraid I can't help much beyond that.
Thanked by:
For the wave files, can I convert 'em for you?
They play in any if the Nero software I have.
[Image: 3oEduVuAsde9E8A716.gif][Image: ness_stamp_by_yukidarkfan.png]
3DS Friend Code: 4098-7082-7654
Add me sometime. I've got Smash, Mario Kart, and a few others!
Thanked by: