The VG Resource

Full Version: .data file (Shantae and the Pirate's Curse)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Anyone know how to extract a .data file? And looking at a hex editor, everything inside are .vol files.
Someone might already know this, but just in case they don't can you upload it?
Here it is.

I'm kind of in a hurry, so it might not be fully uploaded for a while.
I'm currently working on the .data file format (from both Shantae and Mighty Switch Force HD). Suffice it to say it's complicated, hence no real results after a few days of hacking on it.

Inside the (compressed) .data file is a bunch of (uncompressed) .vol files; I found a BMS script for extracting those; fairly simple.
Inside the .vol files are a bunch of other files; some of them are .anim files that contain animation data for each sprite, there's a few other formats as well.
Inside the .anim files are a few images, in a completely wonderful format:

[Image: Bomb_11.png]

It looks similar to the image piecing and splicing used in other WayForward titles; it's not. Those formats were positively sane in comparison. Sad

I haven't had a TON of time to work on this yet, this was after a couple days, and I was trying to crack the rest of the .anim format before announcing I was working on it. Particularly since I'm crazy busy with school and work right now; not a lot of free time for ripping.

I can give (C++) source code for what I have so far if anyone is interested; I was just working on it and didn't have anything to release yet.
Wasn't Ploaj working on the format?
I had PM'd him part of a .data fie before I found the BMS script; I'm not sure if he got anywhere with it or not.
Upload some of the anims.
I've already figured out this format for the 3DS Shantae, maybe it's similar?

And yes, it's unusually complicated for some reason :p
Here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3181...mfiles.zip

There's some .image files that have image data as well (pieced up similarly, I think), so I included a few of those also.
Any luck with this so far, Ploaj? I haven't had a chance to look at it recently, myself.
That one took a while. This format is pretty complex! Thanks to Ploaj for pointing out how source image coordinates are stored.

You can download the program(s) here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3181...SFHDEx.zip

Firstly, there's a scooby_looney.bms BMS script (which I found over at xentax) that can be used to extract the .data file. Inside that is a bunch of .vol files, which can be extracted with the included volEx.exe. Once that's done, you'll have a bunch of different files. The .anim files you can extract with animEx.exe, I'll work on the .image format a little later. Most of the sprites and stuff of note seem to be in the .anim files, though.

A few anim files crash the program, I'll take a look at those later also.

(animEx extracts everything into subfolders, so extracting Bomb.anim gives you output/Bomb/[animation names] subfolders. These subfolders can be dragged into my Sprite Sheeter program for fast sheeting. Yay workflow!)

I'll be uploading Mighty Switch Force! HD sheets over the next few days; there's a few Shantae sheets missing (like bosses and NPCs) that I'll likely be making/uploading soon also.
If you ever figure out .image or .wave, please let me know.
Just figured out .image this morning, I'll let you know how .wave looks. I haven't worked with sound formats before (though the soundtrack is either cheap or free on virt's bandcamp iirc).
I was more looking for sound effects than music, that's why I asked.
There's an imageEx.exe in the same zip file now (download again) which extracts single-image .image files. There's a couple of corner cases that the tools crash on (which I'm working on), but about 95% or so of the time they work. It's enough for me to start uploading sheets of Mighty Switch Force HD, anyway!

I'm not really a sound guy (as I said before), but these .wave files *might* be uncompressed audio? I've tried importing as raw audio with various settings, and I've gotten out some super-staticky stuff with a little bit of correct voiceovers in the first second or so. I'm afraid I can't help much beyond that.
For the wave files, can I convert 'em for you?
They play in any if the Nero software I have.
Pages: 1 2