Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
SPLATOON (aka PHBBTBBHT aka FART NOISES: THE GAME)
How has there not been a Splatoon thread. I mean people were talking about it in another topic but no Splatoon thread wth
Am I the only person on VGR now who's excited about Splatoon??

In case you live under a rock, here's the latest Nintendo Direct focused entirely on Splatoon.

At the end of the Direct, though they mention the Global Testfire (which was more or less a stress-test on the servers, and gameplay seemed fine, despite the fact I was being matched with players all over the world.  There's going to be one more Global Testfire and it's set for this Saturday at 3PM PST (I THINK that's 6PM EST and midnight in the UK).

But yeah. Thoughts? Squids? Quick, start talking about this game b/c smash bros stinx this game rulzzz

Also, buying the game at Target in the US gets you a squirt gun

[Image: f3qPXm2.jpg]

I want this squirt gun but I also want the costumes from Gamestop. Help. Too many decisions.
[Image: 57d2BGH.png]
! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! refs
shoutouts to cutesu for the new av!
Thanked by: psychospacecow
YOU'RE A KID NOW
YOU'RE A SQUID NOW

(I played two of the demos for the testfire and loved it.)

(Paint roller for D a y z)
hey i havent had a signature for a while
hi my name is Davis or Ark Kuvis or Megaluigi4 (its been years since I gone by that one)
i talk about video games a lot and i mostly lurk vg resource
hey if you like my posts why not up rep me that'd be cool thanks =)
Thanked by: E-Man, psychospacecow
(05-18-2015, 11:50 AM)Ark Kuvis Wrote: YOU'RE A KID NOW
YOU'RE A SQUID NOW

YOU'RE A KID YOU'RE A SQUID YOU'RE A KID YOU'RE A SQUID YOU'RE A KID YOU'RE A SQUID YOU'RE A KID YOU'RE A SQUID YOU'RE A KID YOU'RE A SQUID YOU'RE A KID YOU'RE A SQUID YOU'RE A KID YOU'RE A SQUID YOU'RE A KID YOU'RE A SQUID YOU'RE A KID YOU'RE A SQUID YOU'RE A KID YOU'RE A SQUID YOU'RE A KID YOU'RE A SQUID YOU'RE A KID YOU'RE A SQUID YOU'RE A KID YOU'RE A SQUID YOU'RE A KID YOU'RE A SQUID YOU'RE A KID YOU'RE A SQUID YOU'RE A KID YOU'RE A SQUID YOU'RE A KID YOU'RE A SQUID YOU'RE A KID YOU'RE A SQUID YOU'RE A KID YOU'RE A SQUID YOU'RE A KID YOU'RE A SQUID YOU'RE A KID YOU'RE A SQUID YOU'RE A KID YOU'RE A SQUID YOU'RE A KID YOU'RE A SQUID YOU'RE A KID YOU'RE A SQUID 

I wish that song didn't exist but we've got those horrible commercials because that's who Nintendo's actually looking to target with this game - not a bunch of 30-year-olds.

It's like with Minecraft and what that's turned into - it started out as a game nerdy guys with some experience with basic networking would play around with. The kid demographic was completely on accident after the game was launched on consoles (and thus much more accessible) [Okay really, I think it's just because educators saw it and were like "We can do school things with this!"]. This is literally the other way around - Nintendo deliberately targeting kids while (young) adults are a secondary market. That terrible, catchy song is deliberately written to stick in your head...and sell more copies. Blank
Thanked by: E-Man
I don't have the console, so I can't play it. It does look interesting though. My utmost hope from this game is that it does extremely well, so it can encourage Nintendo to continue stepping out of their comfort zone, instead of sticking with the same old ideas over and over.
[Image: tamerkoh.gif?9][Image: DevBanner.png][Image: Youtube.gif]DLBROOKS33
Thanked by:
The same old ideas like Kappa's Trail and PushMo and Dillon's Rolling Western and Captain Toad and Xenoblade? Like that giant robot fighting game and the security camera game? Like Hyrule Warriors and Pokemon Conquest and the few other hybrid games they've come out with?

Those same old things?
[Image: Dexter.png]  [Image: Bubbles.png]  [Image: SNWzHvA.png]   [Image: SamuraiJack2.png] [Image: kQzhJLF.png]  [Image: Pikachu.png] [Image: tSCZnqw.png]
Thanked by: MrYoshbert, Cyberguy64
I'd just like to mention that Hyrule Warriors is not a Nintendo game, it's a 3rd party Musou game with Nintendo characters.
Yeah that's nitpicky but it's a distinction that needs to be made since Nintendo didn't develop it.
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]
Thanked by:
(05-18-2015, 02:34 PM)Kriven Wrote: The same old ideas like Kappa's Trail and PushMo and Dillon's Rolling Western and Captain Toad and Xenoblade?  Like Hyrule Warriors and Pokemon Conquest and the few other hybrid games they've come out with?

To be fair- for the first time in a long while, Nintendo's trying out a new idea for a major home console release. No help from Monolith Soft, or Intelligent Systems, or some third-party company, either.
Thanked by: E-Man, Gwen, Tellis
That too. No eShop release, no second party. This is a straight big-budget Nintendo IP.
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]
Thanked by: Cyberguy64, recme, Tellis, E-Man
I like that it's a competitive third person shooter. I've never enjoyed FPSes all that much because I prefer to see the character I'm controlling. It's a spatial awareness thing, I think. This game has that while still being effectively geared to shooter controls.

I just wish the local game was a little more viable. Nintendo is usually all about couch multiplayer, and to have such a limited local mode is odd to say the least.

I just hope this succeeds the way Nintendo is hoping it will. I'm already theorizing ways that an inkling could fight in Smash and have inking up the map be a viable mechanic without being totally broken one way or another.
Thanked by:
Actually, with all the PIZAZZ goin' on with this game and how aggressively Nintendo's backing it, I wonder if this is going to be Nintendo's foray into eSports; for some reason they seem a little ashamed that Smash Bros. is a competitive game, whereas this game has "Get good get rekt squid kid squid kid squid kid" written all over it. Like, I could legitimately see Nintendo having tournaments for this game across the country, making mall appearances and having tournaments done over LAN, with little prize pools and press coverage and whatnot. Like...shit, this could be Nintendo's true step into the 21st century. I mean, you guys HAVE noticed that they're stepping their social media game up by utilizing Tumblr and Vine as well as their go-to social network channels (YouTube, Facebook, Twitter) right?

Which, come to think of it, if some nerds manage to figure out how to set up a dummy/private network so LAN play is possible before August rolls around, that would absolutely be the bee's knees.
Like, c'mon - they've managed to spoof networks for use with MarioKart Wii and Smash Bros, I'm pretty sure someone could figure it out and whip up Splatoon private servers and get slammed with big fat C&Ds from Nintendo
Thanked by: Gwen, E-Man
Look forward to buying it next week. It's nice to see a shooter game that isn't the same old boring soldiers from today's shooters, including CoD.
Seriously, first person and third person shooters used to be creative and fun. Even fighting Romero-esque zombies is getting boring now.
At least there's a new DooM to be announced at E3. Sure we only have five seconds of teaser footage shown today.
But hey, demons of hell invading mars/earth is way better than what CoD has.

The character designs are great too. It's rare for sea anemone and horseshoe crabs to appear in any fiction as characters.
But one of my favorites has to be the prawn wearing tempura crumbs as clothing.
[Image: sonamy_animtitle_by_retrobunyip-dbg86ov.gif]
Thanked by: Gwen, Kriven, E-Man, Cyberguy64
haven't gotten a chance yet to play this game, downloaded the global test demo, but was too hung over to play last time lol

this Saturday i hope i'll get another chance if i'm not too busy. it looks a lot of fun and while i wasn't convinced for a long time; the direct totally won me over. the gameplay just looks smart and fun and i'm a sucker for clothing customization. 
friend of mine played it for a couple of hours at an event last year some time after E3, he called it ''the surprise game of the year''.
[Image: hnMDWvN.png]
Thanked by:
(05-20-2015, 03:37 AM)Darky Wrote: i'm a sucker for clothing customization

RIGHT??????? i don't know why, and it's the stupidest thing, but when I can customize my appearance in a nintenda game, THAT'S IT I'm sold

Like the game looked fun enough but now it's exponentially fun

Also I really like how Spyke, the back alley dealer character is influenced by British Jamaican culture and speaks in rudeboy slang that you'd hear on UK pirate radio and none of the advance-copy reviewers in the US are picking up on that at all. I'll absolutely die if Spyke says something along the lines of "love, dis upgrade is straight MASSIVE"
(05-18-2015, 08:21 PM)Vipershark Wrote: That too. No eShop release, no second party. This is a straight big-budget Nintendo IP.

I still wish Nintendo would give those games SOME attention. It seems like they pick and choose which games to promote. Code Name S.T.E.A.M. got little to no adverts, same with things like Rhythm Heaven, and the list goes on.

Thanked by:
Uhh, Codename Steam got advertising. Maybe not a full direct, but it DID appear in Directs before release, and I had a shitload of youtube ads before it released. I even saw a couple on TV, and i barely watch regular tv.
Thanked by: Gwen, Kriven