Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
BLOODSTAINED - Koji Igarashi's Newest Project Unveiled
NeoGAF link to speculation thread, so take this with a grain of salt

So, apparently some Castlevania fans have been piecing together some new facts regarding IGA's latest project.  The tl;dr is that an image was circulating around PAX back in September that hinted at this new project, and an account that was linked to the picture (Quarterwomann) kicked up a few days ago and posted some cryptic shit to the Castlevania Dungeon and the Chapel of Resonance under the name of "IGAVANIA".

Today's supposed to be a full moon, and the twitter account made a mention of "lots to report" regarding the moon earlier yesterday.  If the speculation's right, we may be seeing a new successor to Metroidvania.

Again, I don't know how much of this is going to be true, seeing as how this is all still speculation, but frankly I've been dying for a new IGA Castlevania game since OoE and I'm willing to sit here and hype this up.  From the looks of things, this is very likely going to be a pixelart game, so we might be back to the 2D formula once again.  I'm hoping this is all true and not one giant hoax.

EDIT:  http://swordorwhip.com/

It's all true, apparently!  New game being announced next week!

EDIT 2:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/iga...-the-night

Game has been confirmed.  New Igavania of a different title.  Game broke through almost all its stretch goals at the time of writing.  David Hayter to contribute voice work.  Fucking hype.
HAVE I BEEN MISLEAD?? [Image: TeamStory.gif] THE DREAM ISN'T DEAD???

Thanked by:
It's real funny that kickstarter is the only way were gonna get new games in genres and series we want again.

I would not be surprised if kojima went to kickstarter for a Steel automation liquid stealth game.
[Image: JSW7XoM.png][Image: M9AUckK.png]
Thanked by: E-Man, Marth, Omegajak
(05-04-2015, 05:06 AM)Omega Wrote: It's real funny that kickstarter is the only way were gonna get new games in genres and series we want again.

well yeah, it's like

you see

for the companies it's like preorders but for the second they finish the post
and the money isn't divvied up to the retailer it just goes straight to the developer

can't wait till a mario game finally goes up on kickstarter and miyamoto is in a video for it
"i am too old, please make a good game in my abscence. arrivederci, super mario club" *is literally just talking to the actual super mario club and no one else while the internet speculates they're talking to the collective of mario fans*
[Image: 57d2BGH.png]
! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! refs
shoutouts to cutesu for the new av!
Thanked by: Omega, recme
http://swordorwhip.com/

YEP, IGARASHI'S ANNOUNCING SOMETHING NEXT WEEK
HAVE I BEEN MISLEAD?? [Image: TeamStory.gif] THE DREAM ISN'T DEAD???

Thanked by: Shade, Sevenstitch
Lemme just say...I hope the game isn't going to look like that. That art style is kinda bland looking, even for pixel art. No hue-shifting, and nothing that really stands out. But I do look forward to a new Metroidvania.
[Image: tamerkoh.gif?9][Image: DevBanner.png][Image: Youtube.gif]DLBROOKS33
actually I want a new Castlevania

not Metroidvania
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Only if it controls like Super Castlevania IV. Total control, and no cheap deaths because of stiff controls.
Thanked by:
I prefer stiff controls though, but well, preference

For me, a new Castlevania could have slightly limited air movement (not fixed air movement) and being able to whip in front and 45º upwards only. No whipping everywhere. Up and down whipping made the game a little too easy as you could foresee the upper/lower areas and kill them even before you arrived there

Sub-weapon could be its own button instead of up+attack though. Controllers now have more than 2 buttons.

The reason I want a new Castlevania instead of a new Metroidvania is that Metroidvanias feel like a chore. Games like Aria of Sorrow and SoTN are great on its own, yes, but most of the times the enemies are a pushover (especially with the level up system that makes you even stronger). Combat in the older games were more challenging because the enemies were placed according to the level design and thus required some thought to advance. It's thrilling to win the level with 2 blocks of life remaining in your HP bar, and I wish I could relive that.
Thanked by: Rosencrantz
My phone is too slow, could someone give me some context? Is Iga responsible only for the 2D style games? Or is there a chance this is going to be a another in the 3D series. I wouldn't mind either, but I'd be more excited for 2D.

I also would love a throwback to the classic formula. There was that WiiWare game that reimagined one of the Gameboy games, I think, and even though the graphics are a little weird sometimes I definitely enjoyed it.

Of course I'm a big Metroidvania fan too. Symphony of the Night and Order of Ecclesia are two of my favorite games ever. I also love that mash-up game on Xbox Arcade, but none of my friends have it and I'd have more fun co-oping with friends.
Thanked by:
(05-06-2015, 07:55 AM)Gors Wrote: I prefer stiff controls though, but well, preference

For me, a new Castlevania could have slightly limited air movement (not fixed air movement) and being able to whip in front and 45º upwards only. No whipping everywhere. Up and down whipping made the game a little too easy as you could foresee the upper/lower areas and kill them even before you arrived there

Sub-weapon could be its own button instead of up+attack though. Controllers now have more than 2 buttons.

The reason I want a new Castlevania instead of a new Metroidvania is that Metroidvanias feel like a chore. Games like Aria of Sorrow and SoTN are great on its own, yes, but most of the times the enemies are a pushover (especially with the level up system that makes you even stronger). Combat in the older games were more challenging because the enemies were placed according to the level design and thus required some thought to advance. It's thrilling to win the level with 2 blocks of life remaining in your HP bar, and I wish I could relive that.
Egoraptor covered this in his Sequelitis on Castlevania 4.  Long story short, the control scheme is perfect, but they didn't design the game according to the control scheme, and designed based on the old control scheme.  They easily could've just designed the levels with the idea in mind that you could whip in all directions, and put some things out of reach if they really didn't intend for you to just whip it so easily.

Stiff controls should never be praised, as it's literally a form of fake difficulty.  I should note tight controls aren't the same as stiff controls.  Stiff controls make the game feel like it's denying you the most basic thing any person should be able to do by concept, like ducking, being able to defend yourself in mid air,  being able to defend yourself in any scenario with your basic attack (not to be read as kill any boss with your basic attack, just able to defend yourself), or just the ability to move freely because they locked you down on a grid (Zelda 1, Startropics 1, which makes the controls feel slippery and stiff because they always try to stay on their little sidewalk, and end up walking into things they normally shouldn't have).  Tight controls make the game feel extremely polished, and like you're in total CONTROL of what's going on.  If you end up dying, it's because you weren't skilled enough, not because you simply couldn't attack at an angle.  Kingdom Hearts II or even Secret of Mana would be some examples of games with tight controls.
Thanked by:
Some games do get better with limiting moves though - after all if the game is designed to be played this way, it isn't bad. Giving the player too much freedom can ruin the experience, and I believe Castlevania does that just fine.

You can crouch and attack, climb ladders up and down and attack while doing so. In newer games you can avoid some damage knockback by crouching, too, giving you some protection.

Basically it's like chess: it isn't a bad game just becuse the pieces are confined in a grid.
Thanked by:
i feel like the whole limited movement/free movement thing should be an option in-game. it shouldnt be that hard to implement. level design can just be based on the limited movement so that it can work for both versions
[Image: XeE6VeC.gif]
Thanked by:
I'm a player that firmly believes real-time games should be smooth, fluid and all about the player's skill, and not about mastering some backass control scheme and awkward physics. You could argue "Mastering the shitty controls is part of getting skilled," but you could pin that to anything, including those unlicensed Chinese games that almost always have broken physics. Why should you waste time playing a game that has terrible control when you can play a game that has much better control? When you're getting frustrated with the game's controls, you're obviously not having fun with them.

"Jump and run are both the same button; tapping the A button jumps, and holding the A button runs...WHY THE SAME FUCKIN' BUTTON!?"
- AVGN, The Simpsons
"When you're on the stairs, you're defenseless!" - AVGN, Castlevania Part 2
"The control is so stiff, you'll wonder if your fuckin' controller's broken!" - AVGN, Dragon's Lair
Thanked by: E-Man
Awkward physics is not necessarily synonymous with broken physics. Classic Castlevania is what I would describe as a more rigid control scheme, but definitely able to be mastered. The physics make sense in the realm they inhabit: Jumps are short and momentum can't be changed, getting hit knocks you back, but everything will respond in a solid way. An unlicensed Chinese game with terrible physics by comparison will have physics that make no sense and/or break the game to the point that it is completely unplayable.

You know what is the pinnacle example of a fantastic game with awkward controls? Shadow of the Colossus. The game is built around almost procedurally generated movement, reacting to mixtures of changes in height, turbulence, gravity, and so many other things that combat the player's control. Movement is clunky, and it is slower to respond than what you might expect from a more action oriented game. However, it all coincides with the gameplay, as you are an ordinary boy with the daunting task of literally climbing up enemies that tower stories above you, and realistically you can lose balance and fall.

Castlevania's classic physics aren't what I can classify as "shitty", but rather a deciding factor to the kinds of people who would enjoy playing them.
Thanked by: Shade
I'll be honest, I do like the classicvania games, and Rondo of Blood, but the controls definitely ruined the overall experience. The atmosphere of the games is awesome, but the gameplay is so stiff and frustrating, and it doesn't even have to be like that.
Thanked by: