Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
forgotten franchise revival
the smash thread is getting filled with ice climbers discussion, so i decided upon myself to make a topic to cater to such ideas.

in the sea of video games, there are the AAA games and forgotten IP's. while some forgotten IP's reach the branch of AAA games, (kid icarus, punch out, etc.) others dont. the question is quite simple, which forgotten franchise would you revive and how would you do it (game concept)?
[Image: XeE6VeC.gif]
Thanked by:
I'd love to be able to get a whole bunch of older jrpg character together in a dissidia style fighter or big-battle jrpg. Imagine a tale so daunting the it requires the collective power of every generation's heroes!

Get Chrono Cross, Wild Arms, Final Fantasy, Valkyria Chronicles, Dragon Quest, modern indie titles, etc. etc. etc.

Have them all branched off into different classes with renamed abilities and a relative skill set based around their era, affinity, based time period, etc.
[Image: k0OsVum.png][Image: NXpkf1V.gif][Image: psychicspacecow.png]
Thanked by:
I think we had a topic like this before too.

But yeah I totally wan to see a new Rampage. It needs a reboot after that horrible one for the Wii.

Thanked by:
i want a new commander keen
Thanked by:
To be honest, if I were in charge of some kind of revival project, the first thing I would do would be to release a "Nintendo All-Stars Arcade" type of game... essentially 3D/HD remakes of the basic old games, just to make them relevant again. I'm not talking big project like Kid Icarus, but Ice Climbers, Balloon Fight, Clu Clu Land, Donkey Kong Trilogy, Wrecking Crew, etc. After that I might elaborate on a specific franchise with a stand-alone release... I think I would most personally want to revive Balloon Fight in some way, although I haven't figured it out exactly. Definitely I would want the classic Balloon Fighter to take the lead role (I've been calling him Bob for a while), but Alice and her brother (from Balloon Kid) would make excellent alternate characters and multi-player options. The pseudo-platformer direction of Balloon Kid is pretty fun, and I could definitely see the franchise going in that direction... but I also like the Balloon Fight microgame in WarioWare: Smooth Moves, and I feel like that kind of StarFox perspective would do well for Balloon Fight... so I suppose I would go with a 3D Adventure Platformer where the main idea is to fly from one island to the next...

Thinking about it, I suppose it depends if I were to call it "Balloon Fight" or "Balloon Something". If I were to go with the "Fight" name, I would want to honor the concept there, which is to be the last balloonist standing. I think I like this more, now that I'm writing about it. So there are multiple arenas, some made up of different islands, and battles take place in a large 3D space. Like the NES title, the objective is to defeat every enemy in the arena by popping their balloons and then crashing into them. In the single player mode, Bob the Balloon Fighter is tasked with apprehending the Bird Bandits (what I'm calling the enemies from the first game). Controls are pretty much the same as always, with a single button for lift and the directional pad for movement. I suppose the shoulder buttons could be used to help players make sharp turns. The main attraction would be the multiplayer battle mode (although a multiplayer co-op campaign could be included).

As a player character, you are not defeated when both of your balloons pop (unlike Balloon Fight). Instead this causes you to plummet to the surface, where you are extremely vulnerable to attack. If you can surive long enough to inflate your balloons (which is done by either blowing into the microphone or rapidly tapping down on the control stick), you can put yourself back in the game!

Right now I'm seeing two arenas: a series of islands scattered around an ocean. Each island shares a resemblance to a different arrangement from the original game. The other arena is a city styled after the first world of Balloon Kid, with lots of buildings to bounce to.

Initial Playable Characters:

Bob the Balloonist (Balloon Fight)
Alice (Balloon Kid)
Samm (Balloon Kid)
Jim (Balloon Kid)

Unlockable Playable Characters:

Bird Bandit (Balloon Fight) - Unlocked by clearing the campaign
Tingle (Tingle's Balloon Fight DS) - Unlocked by playing for 05:40:00
Bubble Monkey (EarthBound) - Unlocked by playing ten versus rounds
Hello Kitty (Guest Character -- Hello Kitty World is a reskin of Balloon Kid for the Famicom) - Unlocked by playing Survival Mode with all other characters.

Survival Mode: Simply put, Survival Mode is an endless-battle mode where enemies spawn rapidly and frequently as players attempt to survive and set a high score.
[Image: Dexter.png]  [Image: Bubbles.png]  [Image: SNWzHvA.png]   [Image: SamuraiJack2.png] [Image: kQzhJLF.png]  [Image: Pikachu.png] [Image: tSCZnqw.png]
Thanked by:
I want to give some love to Nintendo's truly obscure and forgotten. Imagine a new Famicom Detective Club... It would have to be called something different . Or a new Shin Onigashima?

What about Mole Mania for the 3DS, that game would make great use of the two screens. The top screen shows everything above ground, the bottom screen shows everything bellow ground.

Thanked by: E-Man, Kriven
some games suck if they use the same gameplay concept from the original game - see Ice Climbers.

Most NES launch games were quite simple and could never be AAA games - they would function better as small app games, for example. I would like a Wrecking Crew game, without those weird game design ideas - for example, putting a rival in that game was the worst shit ever; I would also make the bonus items not so cryptic to get and remove score: i think the game works better with a 'fastest time completion' table than getting points.
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Thanked by: psychospacecow
(03-24-2015, 11:31 PM)Koopaul Wrote: I think we had a topic like this before too.

nah, the other thread was the game idea thread iirc.

a gunstar heroes revamp on 3ds would be cool. i preferably would keep it at its action platformers root since it worked best that way.
Thanked by:
Anyone up for a reboot, remake, or sequel to Tomato Adventure?

[Image: latest?cb=20091104213619&path-prefix=en]

As much as I like the Mario & Luigi games as much as the next guy, this game has a lot of creative ideas and could give Alphadream another great RPG series under their belt if they invested the time to expand it.
(02-27-2014, 07:31 PM)Gors Wrote: DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SUCK. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SHOW YOUR SUCKY ART. I think this needs to go noticed to everyone, because sucking is not failing. Sucking is part of the fun of learning and if you don't suck, then you won't own at pixelart

it's ok to suck, sucking is not bad, just try and aim to always do your best!
Thanked by:
Honestly, I'd kinda like to see a new Blinx game. Something more open-world adventure style than linear-level-collectathons, though. Unlocking, using, and combining time powers to solve more complex puzzles. I just feel like the series had such a good idea, but ended up wasting it.
[Image: StickerStageItems.png]
Check out this review blog thing I do! Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 for Nintendo Switch was the latest review!
Thanked by: recme
(03-25-2015, 03:45 PM)Zero Kirby Wrote: Honestly, I'd kinda like to see a new Blinx game. Something more open-world adventure style than linear-level-collectathons, though. Unlocking, using, and combining time powers to solve more complex puzzles. I just feel like the series had such a good idea, but ended up wasting it.

hell yes, i totally forgot about this hidden gem. a new game would be the coolest thing ever, maybe a game with a better camera
Thanked by: Zero Kirby
I'd love to see a new Game and Watch Gallery happen one of these days, for 3DS or whatever the next Nintendo handheld will be.

Technologically and visually faithful remakes of the classics + super-charged modern remakes featuring the Mario characters + a helluva lot of unlockable stuff + leaderboards or something + multiplayer + budget-title price + Mr. G&W's current Smash Bros. cred = a one-way trip back to relevancy for those old beepers and bloopers.
Thanked by:
Darkstalkers. People within Capcom have been trying to get a new one made since around the turn of the millennium, and producer Yoshinori Ono has been pushing for it ever since Street Fighter 4 became a success. All it needs is the same treatment Street Fighter got: A new installment that retains the classic gameplay plus a few new features and mechanics here and there, all rendered with some spiffy modern production values.
Thanked by: Dolphman
A new Eggerland but make it similair to Captain Toad.
Thanked by: E-Man, Kriven
I would make a Bomberman that is the best of everything from the series.
[Image: JSW7XoM.png][Image: M9AUckK.png]
Thanked by: