Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Thoughts on webcomics
So, I used to be big on webcomics when I was younger, and I kinda want to get back into them.
I'm interested in stuff with plot right now, but I've been feeling disappointed with what I've been finding. I wanted to know if anyone had similar or differing experiences, and if anyone might have something to share that I haven't seen yet.

Some examples of stuff I've tried and haven't liked (that I'm sure at least some people will know of) are below:

http://www.avasdemon.com/pages.php?page=0001
http://dresdencodak.com/2010/06/03/dark-science-01/
http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/cq/page-1/

My major issue with these types of comics is typically the characters. They often act strictly according to a stereotype, which is pretty thoughtless writing. When characters don't play with expectations, they're boring and flat outside of whatever "cute" appeal they have for the first few pages. And that's fine, until you realize how many pages these comics have.

I really can't care about characters who only seem to exist to move the plot along. I feel put off when the whole cast of characters don't have something resembling "genuine" internal workings (believable/dynamic emotions, thoughts, concerns, etc.), because then the only somewhat interesting thing about them is how they affect things externally. But what good is it to have some interesting things happen if I don't care about the people they're happening to?

It's not even that these comics are really "bad", it's that they're incredibly unremarkable. Ava's Demon gets some points for quirky visual stuff sometimes, but I feel no level of true engagement when I read it. I don't wanna open up a comic and then feel like I'm just going through the motions over and over again.

For an example of something I like, I was shown Gunnerkrigg Court not too long ago. I think it's great, but I know I'm going to catch up to the updates, so I want to find other stuff to read too.
Gunnerkrigg's characters are a little more human and a little less like bland cartoons. The characters form actual relationships, too. Another thing I don't like in comics is when everyone feels incredibly alienated from each other, which I think is a problem in each of the three comics I listed above.

If you want to see it, you can take a peek here (though do note that it has quite the art evolution):
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1

Viper and I used to read this other one that I might pick back up called Zelda: El Rey. It doesn't even really try to be Zelda, it just takes some of the characters and lore and such and does its own thing. Nothing groundbreaking, but it's fun enough:
http://comiz-inc.deviantart.com/art/Zeld...95723&qo=3

So, what's been your experience with webcomics? What about them appeal (or don't appeal) to you? Do you think the characters in the comics I complained about have something going for them that I'm missing? Do the characters not bother you so long as the plot goes somewhere? Does the art make it worthwhile? Have you read any that left an impact? Leave your thoughts and recommendations
[Image: sxv5uJR.gif]
Thanked by:
All the webcomics I read have died or ended Sad

even the ones I made, oops!
[Image: JSW7XoM.png][Image: M9AUckK.png]
Thanked by: recme, Iceman404
I was big into webcomics when I was younger, but they all went on hiatus... at that point I kind of forgot about most of them.

A few years ago I got into webcomics again, but I basically just found a handful I liked and stuck with them, mostly of the gag-a-day variety. Of course I read Brawl in the Family, but that's over now. At this point the only webcomic I read faithfully (and which updates daily) is Dumbing of Age by David Willis. It isn't anything overly quirky with art (I guess the art is best described as a hybrid of Archie Comics and Scott Pilgrim) or very fantastic/adventure plotwise... the story revolves around a group of not-closely-related college freshman as they evolve during that first year in college. It's all about character evolution and development. One girl handling the fact that she picked up some of the abusive behaviors her father had, another trying to grapple with religion and how it conflicts with the lifestyles of the best friends she's ever had, pretty much everybody trying to get a grasp on their sexuality without even a clue how to go about doing it... Oh, and a superhero. A campus-bound, frat-boy beating, superhero.
[Image: Dexter.png]  [Image: Bubbles.png]  [Image: SNWzHvA.png]   [Image: SamuraiJack2.png] [Image: kQzhJLF.png]  [Image: Pikachu.png] [Image: tSCZnqw.png]
Thanked by:
I only read Paranatural and Cucumber Quest, it was mostly because people recommended them. After a while I started to enjoy them though and now that I'm up-to-date I'm waiting for updates.

Paranatural is my favourite. I enjoy the art style (sharp, detailed, etc) and the story is up my alley. That is, fantasy (slighty science-fictiony even) in a real-life world. Ghosts and spectral stuff that most people are oblivious to, that sort of thing. The actual plot itself is quite interesting as well. I also love the humour, personally humour is a big thing for me.

Cucumber Quest is also pretty nice. The art is pretty different and I don't prefer is quite as much, but it's still really good. The story is pretty neat too, it feels a bit like an enhanced version of a video game plot. I like the humour too, it's a bit different but still enjoyable.

Also Dilbert if that counts. Because, y'know. Dilbert.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by:
Read It Hurts!!

Trust me. It's something you need to read from the beginning. It's written a lot better than it lets on at first, and that's all I'll say on that end.
Thanked by: Virt, Phantom Killah
I remember It Hurts!! being recommended in the last version of this thread, and how someone pointed out that the dad looks like my ref. I gave it a shot but it didn't really seem like my cup of tea, what with all the swearing and the general atmosphere it seemed to have.

I might give it another shot though, since people say that it gets better later on.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by:
(01-04-2015, 06:51 AM)puggsoy Wrote: I remember It Hurts!! being recommended in the last version of this thread, and how someone pointed out that the dad looks like my ref. I gave it a shot but it didn't really seem like my cup of tea, what with all the swearing and the general atmosphere it seemed to have.

I might give it another shot though, since people say that it gets better later on.

oh yeah i recommended it in the last thread too didn't i

Thanked by:
(01-03-2015, 10:45 PM)StarSock64 Wrote: My major issue with these types of comics is typically the characters. They often act strictly according to a stereotype, which is pretty thoughtless writing. When characters don't play with expectations, they're boring and flat outside of whatever "cute" appeal they have for the first few pages. And that's fine, until you realize how many pages these comics have.

I really can't care about characters who only seem to exist to move the plot along. I feel put off when the whole cast of characters don't have something resembling "genuine" internal workings (believable/dynamic emotions, thoughts, concerns, etc.), because then the only somewhat interesting thing about them is how they affect things externally. But what good is it to have some interesting things happen if I don't care about the people they're happening to?

It's not even that these comics are really "bad", it's that they're incredibly unremarkable. Ava's Demon gets some points for quirky visual stuff sometimes, but I feel no level of true engagement when I read it. I don't wanna open up a comic and then feel like I'm just going through the motions over and over again.

Yeah, I feel this way about webcomics sometimes. Very Sad

It's especially grating when you can see the writer's lack of creativity poke out through its cast. Like, the chemistry between straight man and funny man is fine - but like, characters who exist solely as a punchline are painfully obvious, desperate grabs for a quick laugh. This is actually a real thing in comics, both webcomics and print, it kills the heck out of me, and it needs to stop.
I'm pretty sure Marmaduke (not a webcomic, sorry. but that's actually a good thing) is one giant, drooling punchline.
[Image: 57d2BGH.png]
! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! refs
shoutouts to cutesu for the new av!
Thanked by: StarSock64
When I first started actively browsing the web years ago, I not only read web comics, but also I wanted to start my own. When I saw the Adventure of Link and Friends, Zelda Comic, and Game Cheetz, I thought those were the most awesome things ever. Provided, they were all sprite comics (and I can easily make better looking sprite comcis myself without even trying), but when I was in my pre-teens/early teens, I thought the guys who created them were pretty much celebrities. I tried very hard to make a good sprite comic and post it online, but it never really came to pass. Sure, I did more or less get my dream when I found out about Smack Jeeves, but that's another story. Over the years, though, I became less enchanted with sprite comics due to various reasons and I'm less about web comics in general now. Besides the now ended  Brawl in the Family, the only major web comic I read anymore is the Adventures of Dr. McNinja.
(02-27-2014, 07:31 PM)Gors Wrote: DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SUCK. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SHOW YOUR SUCKY ART. I think this needs to go noticed to everyone, because sucking is not failing. Sucking is part of the fun of learning and if you don't suck, then you won't own at pixelart

it's ok to suck, sucking is not bad, just try and aim to always do your best!
Thanked by:
wow, im surprised nobody mentioned homestuck. i used to be into it, but now i feel like its not really worth my time to read.

also, awkwardzombie is a funny webcomic about vidya gaems. if u played most of the games the creator plays, youll enjoy all the comics.
[Image: XeE6VeC.gif]
Thanked by:
I tried to give homestuck a shot, but it's hard to get to the "good parts" when it's soooo looong

for some reason I didn't really stick with paranatural for too long either but maybe i'll give it another try 'cause it seems pretty okay (and also I'll look at this other stuff people sent)

Though, I'm starting to feel like all webcomics have the same sense of humor...Funny is fine (I mean, especially if it's a gag comic, obviously) but sometimes I just wanna read something that doesn't have a recycled punchline at the end of every page

It's not, like, bad, per se, but I'm feeling a lack of variety in tone, and "xD isn't this wacky??" isn't necessarily what I'm looking for, or else I'd just read gag comics... I don't need something super serious but I want something I can actually get into, y'know?
[Image: sxv5uJR.gif]
Thanked by: recme, Phantom Killah
http://www.majhost.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=246114 a screenshot webcomic, high quality halo fan fiction.

Other than that I've read a couple of slightly nsfw webcomics so I'll keep it at this.
Thanked by:
I personally read World of Fizz, and it's still updating.
[Image: tamerkoh.gif?9][Image: DevBanner.png][Image: Youtube.gif]DLBROOKS33
Thanked by:
I usually just read those that are comedy oriented, like newspaper comics.

Stuff like Awkward Zombie, Brawl in the Family (ended), Fanboys OnlineChannelate, Bug Martini, etc.

EDIT: The term I was looking for was gag cartoon.
(01-24-2014, 07:52 AM)Gors Wrote: those are really fucking classy surnames you've got there

[Image: tumblr_npvw95As6k1tzzv2wo1_540.gif]
(01-04-2015, 06:40 PM)SchAlternate Wrote: I usually just read those that are comedy oriented, like newspaper comics.

Stuff like Awkward Zombie, Brawl in the Family (ended), Fanboys OnlineChannelate, Bug Martini, etc.

EDIT: The term I was looking for was gag cartoon.

Well, newspaper-styled webcomics actually exist-I know of one called Melonpool. That one was recently rebooted after years of sporadic updates.
Thanked by: