Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
How can I make Game Maker run other programs through command lines?
Hello again,
what I basically want is to do this:
I also want to do MUGEN fullgames, but since MUGEN has limits in terms of game modes, game menus, and the like, I want to do the interface through Game Maker, while the battles themselve would be handled through MUGEN.
However, I don't know, how I can make it like that, so Game Maker actually opens MUGEN just for the battles.
However, a friend of mine DID told me, that there ARE command lines, which will open just the battle part of MUGEN, and that even with specific settings.
However, how do I make it like that, so Game Maker opens MUGEN through these command lines? Thanks in advance!
Thanked by:
You should be able to quickly google the answer. I'm sure there are lots of resources to find out how to open a program through the command prompt with arguments.

Or is the issue that you don't know the arguments to start MUGEN in battle mode?
Animations - MFGG TKO (scrapped) - tFR
[Image: QUmE6.gif]
"It feels that time is better spent on original creations" - Konjak
Focus on the performance, the idea, not the technical bits or details - Milt Kahl
Thanked by:
(04-30-2014, 08:02 AM)TheShyGuy Wrote: You should be able to quickly google the answer. I'm sure there are lots of resources to find out how to open a program through the command prompt with arguments.

Or is the issue that you don't know the arguments to start MUGEN in battle mode?
Tried to google, but no success.
I just want that after the versus screen, Game Maker 8 opens the battle part of MUGEN with specific parameters (it is possible, someone already did that with Game Maker 7, but I sadly cannot contact that guy anymore). And I also want to make it like that, so if any of the two programs is closed, then the other is automatically closed as well.
In other news, could someone please suggest me a site, which could help me with modifiying a program through Hex Editor? Thanks in advance!
Thanked by:
Did you take a look at the link? A quick skim shows that you can set the set characters + stage from the command line.

I'm not sure how to check when MUGEN closes, unless it outputs to the console before it does. You'll have to do more research on that. You should be able to close MUGEN when GM closes, but again, you have to research that and I'm sure you'll find useful info.

Why do you need to modify a program through a Hex editor? Just find any Hex editor, open the file, and edit (as long as you know what you're doing)
Focus on the performance, the idea, not the technical bits or details - Milt Kahl
Thanked by:
(04-30-2014, 10:18 AM)TheShyGuy Wrote: Did you take a look at the link? A quick skim shows that you can set the set characters + stage from the command line.

I'm not sure how to check when MUGEN closes, unless it outputs to the console before it does. You'll have to do more research on that. You should be able to close MUGEN when GM closes, but again, you have to research that and I'm sure you'll find useful info.

Why do you need to modify a program through a Hex editor? Just find any Hex editor, open the file, and edit (as long as you know what you're doing)
Okay, first things first.
1. The link is basically the command lines, which that friend of mine was talking about. However, I don't know, how I should do that with Game Maker 8...
2. I would like to know, where I could find the info. I definitely cannot go ask at the Game Maker Community forum, because I'm already waiting for a month, until my account finally gets validated... >_>
3. I basically need that, because I want to change the way, how MUGEN closes. If you close MUGEN, you can briefly see the MUGEN menu, and I really don't want that to happen. Additionally, I want the ESC button to completely close the program instead of going to one of the menus. Sadly, just grabbing my hex editor wont work, since the source code of MUGEN was never released (not released, because the source code is appearantly a real mess), so I don't even have reference points...
Thanked by:
1) Sorry, I don't know anything about GameMaker. So this is as far as I can help you.

2) I assumed that you already had control over a command prompt in some form. I'm guessing you're saying that you'd like to get info on how to use a command prompt from GameMaker? You're going to have to research this question, I can't help you anymore than that.

3)Sooo you want to change the way a program works through hexing....? Uhh I have no clue how to do so, but I'm sure it's not a good idea. The best advice I can give is to just not do that and live with the limits if you can't find any other way.
Thanked by:
(04-30-2014, 11:55 AM)TheShyGuy Wrote: 2) I assumed that you already had control over a command prompt in some form. I'm guessing you're saying that you'd like to get info on how to use a command prompt from GameMaker? You're going to have to research this question, I can't help you anymore than that.

3)Sooo you want to change the way a program works through hexing....? Uhh I have no clue how to do so, but I'm sure it's not a good idea. The best advice I can give is to just not do that and live with the limits if you can't find any other way.
2. Tried to search, but no sucess, and the one, who did that, is inactive for...3 years, I think, and I cannot contact him anymore at Mugen Fighters Guild...
3. Sorry, but I can't. I want the game to look as much professional as possible.
Anyway, I just hope someone could help me with the hex editing...
Thanked by:
I found these commands in the GM:S help file, obsolete functions section.
Quote:execute_program Executes program "prog" with arguments "arg". "wait" indicates whether to wait for finishing.
execute_shell Executes the program (or file) in the shell.

So, sadly GM:S as-is can't deal with that. The option you have is to either find a dll that lets you do so, or write one of your own. Of course, that DLL has to let you pass your own arguments so that you don't need to do, like, some weird workaround to be able to select fighters and stages and anything else (?).

Salut!

EDIT: I fucking hate emoticons!
Thanked by: TheShyGuy
(05-01-2014, 01:15 PM)orochii Wrote: I found these commands in the GMUnsure help file, obsolete functions section.
Quote:execute_program Executes program "prog" with arguments "arg". "wait" indicates whether to wait for finishing.
execute_shell Executes the program (or file) in the shell.

So, sadly GMUnsure as-is can't deal with that. The option you have is to either find a dll that lets you do so, or write one of your own. Of course, that DLL has to let you pass your own arguments so that you don't need to do, like, some weird workaround to be able to select fighters and stages and anything else (?).

Salut!

EDIT: I fucking hate emoticons!
Thanks, but I don't use GM Studio. I use GM8. And I sure as hell will NOT switch to GM Studio.
Thanked by: Yoni Arousement