Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
What does it take?
I'm interested in learning how to make games. I've got a lot of ideas. I want to start out with 8-bit, then go to 16-bit, and the highest I want to go is N64. So, what does it take? What do I need to learn how to do? I'm trying to learn code from KhanAcademy, if that helps.
Thanked by:
Having ideas is cool and all, but everyone has ideas.
Unfortunately, ideas don't equal games.

You have to have a cohesive plan (it's possible to make a game without a plan, but that's a bad idea) and then the discipline to follow that plan and put it into practice. Learn to write Design Documents that plan out exactly how every facet of your game works and then stick to those documents, even on extremely simple games that you feel don't need them.

Start small, and once you have the basics, work from there.
You might want to make the world's biggest, best game someday, but assuming you even get to a point where you're able to create such a thing, it will take YEARS of work and practice and failures beforehand. Making games isn't easy, and you can't go into it thinking that you'll be able to create a masterpiece soon after you start.

Start off with something simple like a Pong clone, then work your way up through more advanced skills and techniques.

Of course, programming skills are necessary (unless you can get someone to program for you), as are art, music, etc. skills.
Personally, I recommend starting off with Game Maker as a starting point to get down simple concepts of how to put all of these things together into a small game since it allows you to quickly and easily make things.

I hope this post isn't too rambly, I'm kind of typing it quickly and I'll probably come back to edit it later
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]
So I need to learn code first?
Thanked by:
Not just how to code, but you have to have an idea, you need to know what you want to make, what you want the player to feel, either have the player critically think of his/her actions, or have the player get tense and hurry up to progress through the game, or the opposite, to take his or her time in the game. Then decided on the style of the game, it's genre, and the way you want it to look like. Knowing how to code is a factor yes, but you want more than that, you want a good story, a good motive, a good genre, memorable characters etc.
Thanked by:
Well I'd start out with like a Pong clone, and just go from there.
Thanked by:
Some good advice is to not be too ambitious and to be patient.
Of course, you can have lots of great ideas, but it will be hard, so aim for making simple things first.
[Image: sig.gif]
Thanked by: FinalSmash
(04-02-2014, 01:45 PM)FinalSmash Wrote: Well I'd start out with like a Pong clone, and just go from there.

Well yeah that sounds simple, specially if it's your first project, start with that, make sure you have the basics, a good way to control the game, an objective, a way to achieve that objective, and a way to lose. Then from that add new elements, new items, or power ups. Always think "How can I improve this?".
Thanked by:
(03-31-2014, 05:42 PM)FinalSmash Wrote: I've got a lot of ideas. So, what does it take? What do I need to learn how to do? I'm trying to learn code from KhanAcademy, if that helps.

Ideas are worthless. It's more about the execution of the idea than the idea itself.

What does it take to make a game? Simply the want. If you truly do, you'll find a way through the obstacles you'll face. Atleast, that's the way I see it.

To be a programmer, you gotta learn how to learn. Well you gotta do that with anything if you want to be serious. Learn how to learn independent of a class. Learn how to solve problems by yourself before asking questions. Learn how to research problems and new ideas. Pick up a book too if you want. You gotta be persistent and determined enough to push through the many obstacles you'll face as a programmer, like the many bugs you'll create.

Learning from Khan Academy is fine. But it wouldn't hurt to look for more sources of learning too. Before you start learning something, you have to know exactly what you want to learn haha. There are different programming languages you know =p. Its like you're saying you want to learn how to speak. -Well what language do you want to speak in? Do you want a simple one, or are you up to the challenge of a complex one? Viper referred to GameMaker, which I think is fine for your age.
Animations - MFGG TKO (scrapped) - tFR
[Image: QUmE6.gif]
"It feels that time is better spent on original creations" - Konjak
Focus on the performance, the idea, not the technical bits or details - Milt Kahl
Thanked by: Level 1, recme
Hang on to that idea, but like Paladin said, keep it short and sweet until you are confident enough to move to a bigger project.
Thanked by:
(04-02-2014, 02:01 PM)Level 1 Wrote: Hang on to that idea, but like Paladin said, keep it short and sweet until you are confident enough to move to a bigger project.

Yes, that's what I'm going to do. I'm going to get GameMaker today, see what I can do, if anything at all.
Thanked by:
What does it take to make a game?

Well, it depends. On a lot of different factors.

Do you want to create your own Game Engine? Or just make your own game using an existing game engine?

I've been writing my own game engines (and still learning as well lol), in C++ with DirectX and OpenGL, and it took me years to learn how to do it, and also, it is hard. REALLY frickin hard. I mean sure, once you learn how to do it, then it's not so hard. But the learning curve is attrocious!

It sounds to me like from where you are starting, you should consider trying to make a game with a game engine rather than without.

If you are just starting out, I would reccomend something simple like Flash AS2, then move up to Flash AS3 Cute.

I don't know about game maker though. I used to use game maker a lot in the past, but it has changed back then I believe.

Either way, if you want to make games, you've got to learn how to program. I would reccomend buying a book or looking at tutorials online on how to code in C++, just to give yourself some grounding, or take a college course Cute.
Check out my progress with my custom game engine: http://solidspy24.deviantart.com/art/3d-...-545630172
Or listen to my music here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmey7fqtfDc

Thanked by:
Well, if I take a college course, it'll be 4 1/2 years. I think I'll try to learn basic code, and then go from there.
Thanked by:
(04-24-2014, 08:03 PM)FinalSmash Wrote: Well, if I take a college course, it'll be 4 1/2 years. I think I'll try to learn basic code, and then go from there.

Ah no, I mean general college courses in general programming. I have actually only taken two college courses. The rest of the programming i learned on my own. College course loads. can be hefty, which is why I would recommend you only take college part time and dedicate most of your studying personally.
Check out my progress with my custom game engine: http://solidspy24.deviantart.com/art/3d-...-545630172
Or listen to my music here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmey7fqtfDc

Thanked by:
FinalSmash is only 14 though. FinalSmash, you should just pick up whatever you want (Game Maker, Construct, Flash, whatever) and just start playing with it. I mentioned the three only because they should be easy to get into.
Animations - MFGG TKO (scrapped) - tFR
[Image: QUmE6.gif]
"It feels that time is better spent on original creations" - Konjak
Focus on the performance, the idea, not the technical bits or details - Milt Kahl
Thanked by: FinalSmash
Alright thanks guys. I'll see what I can do!
Thanked by: