Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
DK RPG need advice.
So I'm trying to do something simple in order to get back into spriting. Simple as RPG sprites and tiles... Well I stink even at that. It's been a while so I was wondering if you could give me some guidance and tips?

[Image: 0bfg.png]

Just some starting materials but I'd like some critique. Thanks a bunch.

Diddy's jaw area looks too big, specifically in the side view.

and maybe it's just me, but DK's head seems a lot bigger in profile than it does straight on
pkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
Thanked by: Koopaul
No I definitely see that too. I think it's the body. Seeing the compact body from the side makes his head poke out like a big bobble head. I tried shrinking the head but it doesn't match up right with the front view. Perhaps I should change up the body?

Thanked by:
the line between dixie's hat and her hair looks weird on the side views, there shouldn't be a bright pink pixel next to a yellow one (the front view is good)
and on the back view her hat's shading makes no sense at all

also on the side views she looks like she has a bit of an underbite, and sure she's monkey/gorilla/whatever but it isnt very feminine i guess ??

the roof of the KONG house doesn't look right, considering the camera angle we're at

and that's about all i have to say, pretty good stuff for a geriatric koopa
[Image: E3DU8rS.png]
Reference
♥ ♥ ♥ LOVE ♥ ♥ ♥
Omega ; Phant Mmkay ; Baegal ; Gorsal ; Drakocat ; Chaoxys ; TomGuyCott ; Chris2balls ; Mighty Jetters ; Blueblur97 ; NICKtendo DS ;
Kachua (Secret Santa) ; and some more that i need to locate, save and link onto here
I think the tiles could do with a bit more saturation, especially the trees!
[Image: x1aIZ2e.gif]
YOU HAVE TO FEEL WHAT YOU DRAW, FEEL
[Image: shrine.gif]

Getting a Mother 3 vibe from these (which is no bad thing). Though I'd tone the black outline down a bit so it's less perfect black.
[Image: randomimage.cgi]
Thanked by: E-Man, Koopaul
[Image: s6qu.png]

I tried upping the saturation a little bit. I also edited the jaws of Diddy and Dixie. Resized DK's head. And tried to fix the roof a bit.

Thanked by: Paladin
These are all very nice sprites, but are you attempting to emulate the Mario & Luigi style for these sprites?
(02-27-2014, 07:31 PM)Gors Wrote: DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SUCK. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SHOW YOUR SUCKY ART. I think this needs to go noticed to everyone, because sucking is not failing. Sucking is part of the fun of learning and if you don't suck, then you won't own at pixelart

it's ok to suck, sucking is not bad, just try and aim to always do your best!
Thanked by:
Not really. I'm trying to come up with my own style based on some other sources.

Thanked by: E-Man
I like that, Koopaul! Considering that's what you're aiming for, might I suggest you do a little tweak here and there to make it even more distant from M&L sprites? They're fine as they are, but the sprites are more or less leaning in that general direction.

Also, what would you say about applying a little more contrast and a little more hue shifting?
(02-27-2014, 07:31 PM)Gors Wrote: DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SUCK. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SHOW YOUR SUCKY ART. I think this needs to go noticed to everyone, because sucking is not failing. Sucking is part of the fun of learning and if you don't suck, then you won't own at pixelart

it's ok to suck, sucking is not bad, just try and aim to always do your best!
Thanked by: Koopaul, Paladin, SmithyGCN
So I'm making the battle sprites which is clearly inspired by Mother series.
[Image: tmp3.png]

Yes yes I know, the Crystal Coconut and wood back are just modified from King of Swing. I might replace them later, but custom wood is pretty hard.

Oh and Dixie looks freaking weird. Any ideas?

Thanked by:
I feel like Diddy and Dixie both look kinda brainless/personality-less. They both kinda have a blank stare going on lol. I also feel like you can do a lot more if you orient everyone so they're not directly facing forward.
Animations - MFGG TKO (scrapped) - tFR
[Image: QUmE6.gif]
"It feels that time is better spent on original creations" - Konjak
Focus on the performance, the idea, not the technical bits or details - Milt Kahl
I'd suggest giving them bigger pupils(ior to better explain, as dixie has blue eyes, show more of the blue portion, more of that bluegh) and more lively expressions, looks good otherwise though.
[Image: b6Bqjzn.gif]
Thanked by:
I'd recommend putting at least Diddy and Dixie into a quarter view (inbetween full front and profile).
Thanked by: E-Man
I kinda want them to face the player when it says "What will Donkey Kong do?" like DK is waiting for a command from you. Then when it's time to fight, the Kongs face away from the player.

Thanked by: