Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
The Cards Resource
So I had an idea that it would be cool, to make an entire Yu-Gi-Oh! deck, using TSR member refs. I would want to make this not only for fun, but as a proper deck that you would actually be able to print off and use in a duel, merge with other decks, or whatever.
I'll be making these using the Yu-Gi-Oh! Card Maker website. I will need your guys' help though. I need some discussion on these things:
  • Who to use. Should I add people and let them ask for their names to be removed, or should I only use people who expressly say they want to be included?
  • Should there be "Admin", "Mod", and "Member" types? Or should they just be organised into the normal types (Warrior, Beast, Mechanical, etc)?
  • Should I try and keep the art consistent or shouldn't that matter? As a sub-question, should I make all the art myself or let others make art if they like?
  • Everything else! This is based on the community so I want the community to get involved. Suggestions on card effects, strengths, designs, anything!

Here are some kind of "rules" or "restrictions" that I have in mind:
  • Due to my lack of knowledge on the current Yu-Gi-Oh! shows and card game, the mechanics of the cards will be restricted to those of the original Duel Monsters series. This means no Synchro cards, Xyz cards, or any other new things that were introduced from GX onwards.
  • The deck will not be overpowered. There will be some uniquely strong or useful cards, but I want this to actually be usable in games with official cards, so that it has a use beyond simply being cool to look at.
  • Most cards will be aimed to form a Main Deck. They might be a couple of Fusion Monsters, and some card effects may require Token Monsters, but most cards should just be your standard Monster, Spell, or Trap cards.
  • As I said, I want this to be usable in an actual game, so some cards will have to be relatively weak as a source of tributes. Please don't be offended if people suggest your ref as such a card! They are needed and are just as important as all other cards, so don't feel undermined or devalued, all of you are awesome. I will probably ask for most members' consent before such decisions are finalised, anyway.

I think that's all for now. Here are a couple of card ideas I've already had:

Dazz: 4500 ATK and 3000 DEF. Requires 3 tributes (if the above thing about "Member" types becomes a thing, then these 3 must be Member type monsters). When attacking a monster, that's monster's ATK (when it is in attack position) or DEF (when it is in defence position) is reduced my this card's ATK. When this card is attacked, the attacking monster's ATK is reduced by this card's ATK (if this card is in attack position) or DEF (if this card is in defence position).

Kevin Triebel: 1300 ATK, 1500 DEF. Description: Don't use the green guy!!!

Green Guy: Equip Spell Card. This card can only be equipped to "Kevin Triebel" on your side of the field. When Equipped to "Kevin Triebel", a random face-up monster on either side of the field will be replace by a "Green Guy Token" each turn in the Standby Phase, as long as this card is active. If the randomly chosen monster is a "Green Guy Token", it will be replaced by an "Ultra Green Guy Token". If the chosen monster is already an "Ultra Green Guy Token", it will be turned back into a "Green Guy Token". If the chosen monster is the "Kevin Triebel" that this card is equipped to, it will be replaced with a "Green Guy Token" and this card is destroyed.

(I'm not exactly sure how to choose a random monster, need suggestions on this.)

Green Guy Token: 200 ATK, 100 DEF. Description: Don't use him!!!

Ultra Green Guy Token: 2500 ATK, 2400 DEF. Description: Use him!!!

ZeldaClassicEXPERT: 1300 ATK, 900 DEF. Effect: This card cannot by destroyed by the effect of any Spell Card, Trap Card, or Monster Effect.

So yeah, that's what I have so far. Discussion about the above points, card ideas, and anything else is welcome and encouraged!
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
I am a really big Yu-Gi-Oh! player if you want some help on this.

From what I'm seeing here, these are my initial pointers.
First off, to work in the modern game, xyz are more or less required. We could use a system of contact fusion like the neo spacians if that makes you happy but it really is more or less the same thing.

Second, there is a system called "archetypes". If you look at most modern decks, or some older ones like Elemental Heroes, they all have 1 word in common, like Elemental Hero Bubbleman, Elemental Hero Stratos, Elemental Hero Neos, etc.
These are used so your cards can be affected by the same card effects. For reference, see http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/HERO%27s_Bond
I'd suggest Resource as the common name.
I'd put the archetype's focus around a similar system to masked heroes, where a card upgrades another into a fusion monster, in this case referring to the sprite ripping and such.

The primary things we would need to address are
-the searcher card
-the win condition
-the method of reaching said win condition
-boss monsters? (generally, boss monsters are terrible as time goes by so I would advice not having Dazz as a hulking behemoth which is quite unlikely to be summoned, and just as likely to be struck down)
[Image: k0OsVum.png][Image: NXpkf1V.gif][Image: psychicspacecow.png]
Thanked by: puggsoy
The XYZ thing wouldn't be too hard, especially since there's a good number of members with mechanical refs
[Image: 803ce84258.gif]
Thanked by: puggsoy
For the win condition, I'm just thinking of the typical Life Points system: you have a set amount of Life Points (8000 and 4000 are the original ones used iirc, although the players can agree on whatever they want), and you can deduct them by monster battle, card effects, and so forth. First who reaches 0 loses.

I read up on Xyz Monsters and I suppose they can be included. I do agree that they might be sort of essential in modern matches. Are they typically mechanical?

I'm not sure whether archetypes are really necessary, I mean it seems more like an optional preference than something each deck should contain. Maybe we can have a "Mod" archetypes for the moderators, and one or two cards affecting them, but I don't think it's really a large issue.

I suppose I'll lay off the boss monsters, yeah. I still do want some cool effect for Dazz though, maybe forcing all the opponent's monsters in defence position for 3 or 4 turns.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by:
can i be exodia
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]
Thanked by: psychospacecow, recme
(12-14-2013, 11:40 PM)puggsoy Wrote: For the win condition, I'm just thinking of the typical Life Points system: you have a set amount of Life Points (8000 and 4000 are the original ones used iirc, although the players can agree on whatever they want), and you can deduct them by monster battle, card effects, and so forth. First who reaches 0 loses.

I read up on Xyz Monsters and I suppose they can be included. I do agree that they might be sort of essential in modern matches. Are they typically mechanical?

I'm not sure whether archetypes are really necessary, I mean it seems more like an optional preference than something each deck should contain. Maybe we can have a "Mod" archetypes for the moderators, and one or two cards affecting them, but I don't think it's really a large issue.

I suppose I'll lay off the boss monsters, yeah. I still do want some cool effect for Dazz though, maybe forcing all the opponent's monsters in defence position for 3 or 4 turns.

Reducing the other player's life points isn't specific enough.
For Heroes, the win condition is using super polymerization, miracle fusion, and gemini spark to bolster your field presence while denying your opponent a spot on the field.
For Gravekeepers, graveyard denial and controlling the field to where you can peck at the opponent.

Also, yes, archetypes are essential.
XYZ are not restricted to any one type. They can be Machine, Warrior, Psychic (that's a thing now btw), etc.

Suggestion:
We have three tiers of monsters.

1: Resource
Focuses on searching out stronger resource monsters.

2.Resource Veteran
Focused on protecting weaker Resource monsters, somewhat tankish.

3. Resource Mod
We could use this as a boss monster, but use it as an xyz monster. A lot of modern decks do this and it can prove very effective.

Also, keep in mind that there was recently a new Yu-Gi-Oh! anime announced.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/201...ext-spring
It should also be fine if we diversify the types or attributes so long as there is a commonality.

I can definitely see a Dazz XYZ though.
Resource Mod Dazz
2400 ATK/1200 DEF/Type Warrior/Attribute Earth
3 level 4 Resource monsters
Once per turn, you can detach 3 xyz materials from this monster to select and change the position of your opponent's monsters to defense position. The selected monsters cannot change their battle position until the 3rd turn of your opponent's end phase unless affected by another card effect.

This could be a primer for Vipershark or someone else.
So,
Resource Mod ViperShark
1900 ATK/2000 DEF/Type Fish/Attribute Earth
2 level 4 Resource monsters
Once per turn, you can detach 1 xyz material from this monster to reduce a defense position monster's defense to 0. This card inflicts piercing damage.
Thanked by:
In the original Duel Monsters, you could deplete the opponent's Life Points in a number of ways:
  • By destroying an opponent's monster in attack position. The difference between the two ATK values is subtracted from the opponent's Life Points.
  • If you attack an opponent's monster in that is in face-down defence position and it has a higher DEF than your monster's ATK, your monster remains on the field, but the difference is subtracted from your Life Points.
  • If your opponent has no monsters on the field then your monsters can attack their Life Points directly, which simply subtracts the monster's ATK value from it.
  • Various Spell Cards, Trap Cards, and Effect Monsters have effects that can reduce Life Points.

Has this changed? If so then I might have to learn the game all over again, I really assumed that it would have remained the same, with only minor changes such as extra card types.

Could you explain why archetypes are essential? Is it something to do with Xyz Monsters? I think having "Resource" on every monsters seems a bit repetitive. And what do you mean by "searching out"?
Thanked by:
(12-15-2013, 05:26 AM)Vipershark Wrote: can i be exodia

"place all 5 of vipers anime panties in the field and you win the duel"
[Image: XeE6VeC.gif]
i was gonna say "assemble all 5 anime figurines from this limited edition set" or "acquire all 5 volumes of the blu-ray collector's edition of this anime series" in order to show your anime superiority and automatically win by default but i guess that works too
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]
(12-15-2013, 05:29 PM)puggsoy Wrote: In the original Duel Monsters, you could deplete the opponent's Life Points in a number of ways:
  • By destroying an opponent's monster in attack position. The difference between the two ATK values is subtracted from the opponent's Life Points.
  • If you attack an opponent's monster in that is in face-down defence position and it has a higher DEF than your monster's ATK, your monster remains on the field, but the difference is subtracted from your Life Points.
  • If your opponent has no monsters on the field then your monsters can attack their Life Points directly, which simply subtracts the monster's ATK value from it.
  • Various Spell Cards, Trap Cards, and Effect Monsters have effects that can reduce Life Points.

Has this changed? If so then I might have to learn the game all over again, I really assumed that it would have remained the same, with only minor changes such as extra card types.

Could you explain why archetypes are essential? Is it something to do with Xyz Monsters? I think having "Resource" on every monsters seems a bit repetitive. And what do you mean by "searching out"?

No, it hasn't changed, it just requires that you focus your efforts more intensely. A deck with many outs isn't necessarily good at any of them.
What I mean by searching out, to search through one's deck and add a card to one's hand. Searcher is a generally used term.
Archetypes are needed to fit each monster under a common label, and it used so certain decks cannot exploit the effects of other archetypes. Imagine how broken all the burn decks or deck outs would be if they had the power of defense decks.

The game has sped up a lot since GX, the days of making a deck based on what looks cool are gone.
Thanked by:
No offence, but this is starting to sound like Dota 2. There's a standard, efficient way to do things, if you don't do it that way you're losing the match for sure. I remember when you could just make a deck with whatever cards you wanted, as long as you have a reasonable amount of Spell/Trap cards and enough Level 4 or lower monsters, you could play a duel and have fun.

(12-15-2013, 10:48 PM)psychospacecow Wrote: Archetypes are needed to fit each monster under a common label, and it used so certain decks cannot exploit the effects of other archetypes. Imagine how broken all the burn decks or deck outs would be if they had the power of defense decks.

Sorry, I'm not understanding this. "Burn decks"? "Deck outs"? "Defense decks"? Can you explain how would my deck suffer or break if I were to have no archetypes?
Thanked by:
Archetype are basically a synergy or combo that you exploit through many cards in your decks. For example, in a burn deck, the goal is do direct damage with spells and generally without attacking. Theres a card that deal 300 dmg each time a spell or trap card deals direct dmg, so every card you play deal more damage.
Its not completly necesseray if your making the cards for fun. But the synergy could just be that the deck is summoning creature of the "Ressource" type. The "Ressource - Mods" creature could get stronger for each "Ressource-Member" in the graveyard or in-play. There could be spell cards that affect only "Ressource" creature and things like that.
For example:

Ressource Mod - Dazz - Level 8 - Faerie type - Atk 2500 - Def 2000
Sacrifice a "Ressource Member" to negate the effect of target spell or trap.

Ban Hammer - Spell Equip - Can only be equipped to a "Ressource Mod" creature. Equipped Creature get +1000 Atk.

Ressource Member -Add Bot - Creature - Level 2 - Atk 1400 - Def 500 - At the start of your turn, if there no "Ressource - Mod" into play and "Add-Bot" is in your graveyard, special summon "AddBot" into play in Attack pos.
[Image: w5xqva2wqod7ni6zg.jpg]
Thanked by: psychospacecow, puggsoy
In terms of more advanced gameplay, I think a decision would have to be made regarding whether these are meant to be sort of stand alone or whether you intend to play them with official cards. If combining both, not having the advantages normal cards have can make the collection underpowered.
Thanked by: psychospacecow
(12-14-2013, 11:40 PM)puggsoy Wrote: I suppose I'll lay off the boss monsters, yeah. I still do want some cool effect for Dazz though, maybe forcing all the opponent's monsters in defence position for 3 or 4 turns.

if you're going to give Super Cool God Entity Powers for Dazz, don't.

save the Super Cool God Powers for Raz, the person who owns the servers that TSR's hosted on (yes, he posts here but you usually never see him, hence his 'god entity') as he literally has the power to close TSR on a whim

I mean by all means I'd still give Dazz a really neat powerful power but i'd say from experience, uh, how do i put this in first-gen pokemon terms

dazz is charizard
gors is venusaur

raz is like mewtwo when he has the armored suit in the first pokemon movie

charizard is a pretty badass pokemon but if you think a little bit about it venusaur is pretty legit too

though if we're gonna debate the power spectrum, where does tigerlily fall
[Image: 57d2BGH.png]
! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! refs
shoutouts to cutesu for the new av!
Yeah but Dazz is the original creator of the site/mascot, he's the de-facto head of tSR/VGR
Im guessing you have some personal opinions on Dazz stuff but let's leave those out of a for-fun silly card game please.
[Image: Little_lamp_in_dark_room.jpg]

Thanked by: