Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
3D Model file HELP!
Exclamation 
I am struggling to get the models off your website. I just did the "Belle" download off of Kingdom Hearts. I try opening it with 3DS Max and it didn't work. I tried importing it into 3DS Max and that didn't work.

I've used the search in this forum I don't know how many times to search for this answer. I looked at pretty much every page on Google I can possibly find, no bueno.

So, my question is, what do I need to do to make your models from your website work on 3DS Max?
Thanked by:
It would help if you would post the error message you get when attempting to open the file. Also a link to the file couldn't hurt either.

(Note: I don't have 3DS Max)
Animations - MFGG TKO (scrapped) - tFR
[Image: QUmE6.gif]
"It feels that time is better spent on original creations" - Konjak
Focus on the performance, the idea, not the technical bits or details - Milt Kahl
Thanked by:
Ok, well, when I just try to put the file in as it is when downloaded, I don't get an error, however I get a bunch of shapes going all over the place instead of it just looking like Bell.

So, what I did was I searched on Youtube, and I downloaded this program called Noesis...I think that's what it's called. Anyways, so I downloaded that and converted the file to .psk. I also downloaded the ActorX plug-in so the model could come out ok.

Well, the model came out ok (there are a few spots that look weird, but it didn't affect the model soo much that it looks terrible, just a few spots would need to be fixed). But, the problem is, when I import it as a .psk file, it only imports the model itself, not the color or anything, just a grey looking model. I've tried converting the .obj file into .psk, and that seems to help with adding color to the model, but the colors are everywhere and they seem to go in a bunch of different directions, and there are some spots where the model is grey.

Just, can someone please tell me how to import the whole model (colors and everything) into 3DS Max without it looking horrible?

*Edit: I use 3DS Max 2014, and I'm pretty sure I downloaded the correct ActorX plug-in, since in forum they were talking about changes made to ActorX and how it should be compatible with 3DS Max 2014. I really hope I can get this working!
Thanked by:
Upon importing the .obj, I got the same error.
However, the archive file has a .smd file included, which I used Noesis to convert into a .FBX file(autodesk's native export file) and imported it into 3dsmax.
here's a .zip file containing a .max file, with the textures and materials included.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53550883/Bell.zip
Thanked by:
(08-31-2013, 03:00 PM)alexmach1 Wrote: Upon importing the .obj, I got the same error.
However, the archive file has a .smd file included, which I used Noesis to convert into a .FBX file(autodesk's native export file) and imported it into 3dsmax.
here's a .zip file containing a .max file, with the textures and materials included.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53550883/Bell.zip

Ok, well, we're getting there, but I'm still struggling.

When I opened the model (the .max file), the model seemed a lot prettier regarding the way it looks. It definitely made a difference on her dress (because it looks a lot smoother and not wrinkly).

But, I'm still having the same problem with color (or I guess you could say texture). Maybe I wasn't being so clear as to what the problem really is. Whenever I loaded it before, using Noesis, I would get an error message saying that all texture files are missing. Well, when I loaded the model up using your link, I got probably the best results regarding how nice it looks, but there isn't any texture or color. It's still completely grey.

Any ideas as to why this is, or what it is that I'm still missing?

Well, whatever the problem is, we're getting close, because the model looks way more clean cut. Which...I guess that would be my next question, how did you make the model look just like it does on Model's Resource? Was converting the .smd file to a .fbx file was what made it look that nice?

*Edit: What I mean't to say in the 3rd paragraph was, I'm still getting the same error, that all texture files are missing. What do I do?

**Edit: Here's a comparison of my model and the .max model:

http://www.picpaste.com/My_Belle-rE5nQgEu.jpg <----My Model http://www.picpaste.com/Better_Belle-fGwzOfbL.jpg <------------------.Max File Model

And, as you can see, both have no texture!
Thanked by:
the .max file I sent referenced the textures that I placed on my desktop, so when you open it 3dsmax can't find the folder because it only exists on my PC.

click on Customize at the top toolbar, select "configure user paths", select "external files", click "add" and navigate to the folder where you stored the textures. 3dsmax will then refresh the materials and add any files found that matches the materials.

additional info can be found in the 3dsmax Help documentation, under "Material Editor, Materials, and Maps"
Thanked by:
Ok, well I just wanted to say, first off, thank you to everyone who has been trying to help me thus far. As you can probably tell, I'm a noob at this whole 3D thing, and I really am trying my hardest. So, I thank you for the patience.

However, I am still having a problem. I think what it is, more or less, is I am just not understanding what the 3DS Max documentation is telling me. I did what you told me and I'm on the part in the User's Manual that says: "External Path Configuration." So, before I go on, I'm on the right part of the manual right? Alex, you use 3DS Max 2014 right? I'm not completely stupid when I say I'm in the right part of the manual right? Lol, ugh!

Ok, so anyways, I really tried to follow the manual and I'm just lost. I'm sure that what it's telling me is right, but for whatever reason I can't understand what it's trying to say. And everytime I try to make it work...it doesn't...so obviously I'm still doing something wrong, but what is it?

Again, thank you for being patient, but let's imagine that I'm an alien that comes from an entirely different galaxy, and you attach a translator to me so you can understand what I'm saying and there's a translator attached to you so I can understand what you're saying. Say you are trying to teach me fundamental things about 3DS Max. How would you phrase things so that I can better understand them? In other words, speak down to me, I don't care if you do. I don't understand how this works, so talk to me in Lamen's terms how this all works.

But, I promise I really am trying. I tried Google, I've tried 3DS Documentation, I've tried I think just about anything. All I need is a "3DS Max for Dummies" version of my problem.

Thank you!
Thanked by: