Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Ripping sprites from DirectX games
Hey so I've been wanting to see if I can rip sprites from Bastion but I can't find much on the topic. Nobody's been able to unpack the game files directly, which sucks, but since the game uses DirectX I was wondering if there's some program like 3D Ripper DX, but for sprites.

So far the only slightly helpful thing I've been able to find is a tumblr blog by icetigris who's managed to rip a fair bit of stuff from Bastion themselves, like these Ura soldiers. Apparently icetigris uses PIX, which is a program that can do a variety of stuff with DirectX games, which is included within the DirectX SDK. However I'd rather not download a whole SDK for just one tool.

So I wanna know if anybody knows of anything I could try. If there's no alternative I'll probably see how PIX goes, but if I don't want to if I don't have to.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by:
Well, those sprites are on a black background which their alpha-aliasing (transparent AA) blends into, so unless Icetigris did that by accident, PIX must have done it and therefore you couldn't use it even as a last resort.
[Image: sweet-capn-cakes-deltarune.gif]
Thanked by:
I don't think icetigris is a proper sprite-ripper like us Cool She isn't submitting it on an official sprite website, maybe just because people might want to check them out. Or maybe she just doesn't know that using a black background is bad practice.

You could be right though, there are a few animated GIFs she made out of sprites like this one that look pretty messed up without a black background.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
Thanked by:
That's also a possibility, yeah. Though I gotta say that sprite doesn't look too bad. Maybe that one doesn't use alpha blending, but it also could, I don't know anything about that game. Tongue
Either way I hope you find another way to rip the sprites! Wish I could be of more help.
Thanked by: puggsoy
DirectX SDK Wrote:PIX is a debugging and analysis tool that captures detailed information from a Direct3D application as it executes. PIX can be configured to gather data, such as the list of Direct3D APIs called, timing information, mesh vertices before and after transformations, screenshots, and select statistics. PIX can also be used for debugging vertex and pixel shaders, including setting breakpoints and stepping through shader code.

Im learning sharpdx, a wrapper around DirectX, but i havent used PIX yet so i dont know much about it. From the documentation, it sounds like you might be able to do what you need with screenshots. I've never ripped sprites from anything before, so i may be wrong.

Animations - MFGG TKO (scrapped) - tFR
[Image: QUmE6.gif]
"It feels that time is better spent on original creations" - Konjak
Focus on the performance, the idea, not the technical bits or details - Milt Kahl
Thanked by:
(08-05-2012, 04:42 PM)TheShyGuy Wrote: seeing as how bastion is also on the pc,.....you maybe be able to "look" at its resources.....

(08-05-2012, 02:53 PM)puggsoy Wrote: Nobody's been able to unpack the game files directly, which sucks

Rolleyes

But yeah, I will look at doing it with screenshots via PIX, if there is no other way.
Thanked by:
Although the chance of getting a useful reply is slim you could try contacting icetigris (why does that name ring a bell...) and check if she put them on a black background or not - could save you a download.
[Image: randomimage.cgi]
I already asked her via her tumblr blog (although that was about her ripping method before I figured it out), no reply. I doubt I'll get a reply if I ask about the black backgrounds but I may as well give it a shot.
Thanked by:
The dump looks like it hasn't been organised which makes me fear it might be a "this is what you get and that's it" situation. Hopefully I'm wrong, or there's some magical setting to bring everyone's favourite colour bleeding eye pink into it, but from it doesn't look very promising to me personally.
[Image: randomimage.cgi]
Thanked by:
Once again no reply. You'd think that the option would be removed if she can't be bothered to answer any questions.

As you said the organisation of the sheet hints somewhat to automated ripping, but from what I've read PIX is a general analysis program so I'm not so sure. And as I said she doesn't seem to rip sprites the same way we do, she makes graphics and such but I don't think sprite ripping is a main hobby of hers, maybe she just did it because she enjoyed Bastion.

Anyway I'll probably check out PIX and see how it goes.
Thanked by:
Oh yeah. Hell yeah. Heck yeah.

I finally did it. I really, finally, solved the puzzle. The pieces were harder to find than a piece of lint in a cornfield, but I got them. And they fit together wondefully.

Want the awesome result? WELL HERE IT IS.

This might not seem like a big deal or anything but you seriously have no idea how glad, proud, and overall good I'm feeling right now. This is seriously a big thing for me and it will be one of my milestones in my sprite ripping memories. Bastion is a fantastic game and it's just so cool to be ripping pure, clean sprites from it, let alone being the first to find out how.

Prepare yourself for some awesome stuff in my submission thread! Wink

*does a little jig*
Thanked by: Garamonde, alexmach1
WELL CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU FINE SIR. I'm stoked to see that for once I see someone able to to rip from something that they love so much. It really fills my heart with joy as it's certainly not something I've been able to achieve very often.
Again wonderful job and I look forward to uploading your hard-earned submissions.
Thanks MJ Genki ^_^ Yeah it's not often that I get this hyped about anything really, I think the fact that it was so difficult to get to this point amplified the satisfaction.

Plus, something just happened that sunk my heart slightly and then set it afloat straight away. I tried ripping the loading screen graphics, and I got a file like this:

Looks a lot like what icetigris got. But again, when I opened it in GIMP:

I was expecting the black to go away, but just look at the other differences. Those weird glitchy colours by his hair are all gone, and just look at that glow on the feather. Seriously I don't know how this is happening but I'm loving it.
Thanked by: Garamonde
Yeah, Windows Picture Viewer does not display transparency properly so don't worry about that. Wink
I was about to say something about the transparency as well, but MJ said it.

Animations - MFGG TKO (scrapped) - tFR
[Image: QUmE6.gif]
"It feels that time is better spent on original creations" - Konjak
Focus on the performance, the idea, not the technical bits or details - Milt Kahl
Thanked by: