Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
and now, for something completely different
ok so i'm back and i want my return to be stronger than ever.

[Image: 6zwwnq.gif][Image: r6z5l3.gif]

[Image: 2ex6gev.gif]
[Image: jumpng.gif][Image: runm.gif][Image: combo.gif][Image: enemy.gif][Image: en2shoot.gif]

Animations: Char_Idle, Char_Jump, Char_Run, Char_Attack, En1_Idle

[Image: adventuretime.gif]

basically what i did was revamp an older sprite and animate it
[Image: 15698676.gif]
Now comes the tough part, I really need critique on this tileset.

[Image: stageo.png]

Not even sure if the character fits in the environment. Sorry if it's monotonous but I've never really been great with tiles. Any advice? Edits would be lovely too. Smile There are also a lot of missing tiles I haven't started working on (middleground and background tiles) I also wish for help with the palette.
Thanked by:
Is it supposed to be 8-bit ?
I mean the character isn't (NES megamans aren't exactly 8-bit btw)
Otherwise the tiles are to bright and saturated compared to the character, and they stand out more than him as a result.
[Image: E3DU8rS.png]
Reference
♥ ♥ ♥ LOVE ♥ ♥ ♥
Omega ; Phant Mmkay ; Baegal ; Gorsal ; Drakocat ; Chaoxys ; TomGuyCott ; Chris2balls ; Mighty Jetters ; Blueblur97 ; NICKtendo DS ;
Kachua (Secret Santa) ; and some more that i need to locate, save and link onto here
(05-11-2012, 09:40 AM)Lexou Duck Wrote: Is it supposed to be 8-bit ?
I mean the character isn't (NES megamans aren't exactly 8-bit btw)
Otherwise the tiles are to bright and saturated compared to the character, and they stand out more than him as a result.

Not really 8-bit but I wanted to make it simple. The character had 2 shades per color so I thought maybe the tiles should have 2 per color as well.

Do you think I should add more shades to the tiles and make them 3 shades per color? I wanted to make it simple so they would be easier to sprite and would be compatible with the character sprites.

[Image: stagep.png]

Toned down the colors
Thanked by:
Seeing how you have much larger surfaces in your tiles, a third shade might be a good choice.
awesome animations and character but your tiles are a bit boring and the styles dont match.
[Image: quicky.png] I changed the pallet slightly and tried spicing it up without messing with the forms too much.
Thanked by: Zadaben, Garamonde
[Image: stagem.png]

Still searching for a way to match the tiles with the sprite..

I want to make it look less monotonous.. How? I really want to learn how to make tiles to become a more overall type of pixel artist.
Thanked by: Gwen
maybe add bits that aren't white/green/brown? I dont know exactly what type of environment you're going for, but maybe some lights or something
Thanked by:
to make tiles interesting, Pattern, Pattern, Pattern.
you have nice form going on but there's not much pattern its just simple pipes, hence why in my mock up I used lines and dots.
of course you could use more colours but too many colours throws off the eyes, and too many shades would just plain be a waste, so pattern with what you have.
It can be used to show general tastey designs or more detailed shading (E.G. dithering) so to emphasise it,
Pattern! Pattern! Pattern!
Thanked by: Garamonde
check Contra's Stages 6 and 7.
that should give you an idea of how you can add a varierty of "industrial" based props into your tileset without having to overload it.
Thanked by:
@Bombshell93 - You just said Pattern like 10 times but never really gave a good example or an explanation.

@Meta - I don't see the tilesets for the stage ripped for this site yet but I'll take a look. Contra NES right?

Of course I'll add variety to the kinds of tiles that are available but I'm not really experienced with tiles yet. I'll do my best to learn. I'll probably animate him more first.
Thanked by:
well pattern is pattern, use it in different ways for different situations, to give a rough example lines in the shading to make the surface seem less glossy, dithering patterns to make the surface seem rough, dot and dash for a seem on the pipes, I used a particular pattern in my edit pic to make the horrizontal vertical grid look more like a threaded mesh than conjoined pipes.
To cut a long story short, pattern.
I can't really say specific ways to use it, I just mean in general introduce shapes and sequences of shapes to the shading and or form to make it seem more interesting, its up to you what shapes and sequences you make, typically with the tiles you have now you'd simply make edits to the shading so the pipes look imperfect or less glossy.
I'll get back on that after studying some more tiles from other games. I don't have much inspiration to do some enemies or attack animations yet (because I don't know what to do with the character i have no idea about any kind of theme for the concept yet)

[Image: adventuretime.gif]

What time is it?

Thanked by: Gwen
The color for Jake's outline just doesn't feel right for him.
Doofenshmirtz: This is a little bit awkward but have you seen my escape jet keys? (Perry nods) What, you have? Well that's great! So where are they? (Perry looks away) You won't tell me? Is this because you don't speak or are you just being a jerk?
~Phineas and Ferb, "One Good Scare Ought to Do It!" (2008)
Thanked by:
Is that better?
Thanked by: