Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Portal 2 is offensive! I want my money back!
http://kotaku.com/5802908/portal-2-finds...-to-offend

I'm so mad right now that i'm in a state of total calmness.

Watch the video.

Some guy is really butthurt that Wheatley makes jokes about adoption in Portal 2.

Also, ''People being mad about trivial shit in video games general thread'' i guess.
this is a sig

Thanked by:
Portal 2 is being marketed as an "educational" game? O-o
[Image: Dexter.png]  [Image: Bubbles.png]  [Image: SNWzHvA.png]   [Image: SamuraiJack2.png] [Image: kQzhJLF.png]  [Image: Pikachu.png] [Image: tSCZnqw.png]
Thanked by: Rakia, Marth
http://grandtheftauto.ign.com/articles/n...ar-Surfing

Old, I know, but honestly? Granted GTAIV had a lot more wrong with it than a lack of car-surfing, but nobody can tell me that wasn't fun.

Edit: And yeah, the Portal 2 abortion thing there is pretty dumb.
Thanked by:
(05-18-2011, 12:16 AM)Kriven Wrote: Portal 2 is being marketed as an "educational" game? O-o
Yes. People legitimately think that Portal 2 is supposed to teach science.

I wish I was joking.

Thanked by: Marth
I didn't think Valve was supporting this theory though. I don't see how anybody can call Portal 2 out about its "educational" value if the production company isn't saying anything in regards to education, and it's just common idiocy.

Then again there's the problem.
Common idiocy.

It's also almost like nobody has any idea about story telling these days. The idea is to capture aspects of reality, and well, reality makes fun of adoption sometimes. No need to get your panties in a bunch.
[Image: Dexter.png]  [Image: Bubbles.png]  [Image: SNWzHvA.png]   [Image: SamuraiJack2.png] [Image: kQzhJLF.png]  [Image: Pikachu.png] [Image: tSCZnqw.png]
In that defense of the educational bit, I can kinda see how kids could play Portal 2 and then want to be legitimate scientists and engineers when they hit college.

(these are also the kinds of people that drop these majors when they realize it's not what they thought)
HAVE I BEEN MISLEAD?? [Image: TeamStory.gif] THE DREAM ISN'T DEAD???

Portal is a puzzle game, not an EDUCATIONAL game in the sense that most think of education. That's like saying Tetris is an educational game. Sure, both are examples of things that hone your mind, but it's not really a TEACHING process.
Thanked by:
Well good, they should take offence. If I were CHell, I'd be angry at those comments!!

But seriously people need to lighten up.
Also this news contains spoilers it should be taken off tv and the internet okay
[Image: cIUPd.png]
Give me my own member group!
--
megazario Wrote:quite amazing good job make up more keep up the good work
plz dont give me a bad point plz for sounding a bit gay here
Thanked by:
I also love how the news contacted SONY first, not Valve. I can just imagine some poor sap at Sony rolling their eyes going "Ma'am.. Ma'am... Ma-- Ma'am, ma'am we don't make the games, we distribut--- ma'am--".

Granted, I understand how people can get offended, a lot of important people in my life are adopted too. However, I also must bring up the point that the robots are villains. I'm sure kids LOVED the psychologically chilling aspects of the first game. I haven't played the second one so I don't know what else there is like that.
Thanked by: Kitsu, Kakashifan
There's way more in the second.
[Image: cIUPd.png]
Give me my own member group!
--
megazario Wrote:quite amazing good job make up more keep up the good work
plz dont give me a bad point plz for sounding a bit gay here
Thanked by:
Meh, this robot wants to brutally murder this main character, whatever.

OH MY GOD they called her adopted!? That's horrible!!!

Wait, they just wanna murder her again, I'm bored now.
Thanked by: Shadowth117
Beh, why waste any time on this bullshit? I'm just as offended by the fact that they call it an educational game as they are offended by the "fact" that Valve "made fun" of adoption. I'm more offended by the fact that the caucasian anchorman couldn't even pronounce "insensitivity".
Big sigs are for scrubs.
Thanked by:
(05-18-2011, 12:56 PM)GaryCXJk Wrote: I'm more offended by the fact that the caucasian anchorman couldn't even pronounce "insensitivity".
What does race have to do with the ability to speak properly? :l
Honestly there were some problematic things said in-game; the comments about weight kinda rubbed me the wrong way, for one, and use of the word "moron" (which is used a lot) is actually p. problematic, since that's a slightly old word to refer to someone who's developmentally delayed. It's a similar problem to using the word "retarded" as a pejorative; it's making a value judgment about people with learning difficulties.

But it's not as if GladOS is actually characterised as a good character who you're really meant to like or sympathise with, so her saying nasty things is because, well, she's being fuckin' nasty. Even Wheatley is characterised as well-meaning but pretty ignorant, so for me, the problematic things are excusable because they're not meant to be taken as correct or good.

That said, for someone who is adopted that could bring up some unpleasant and raw emotions and that's in pretty poor taste, using something potentially personal just to characterise GladOS as an asshole. So, I'm not gonna start preaching about how someone's offense isn't valid. That'd be unfair, especially as I'm not someone who was adopted, so I'm pretty much speaking from a position of privilege.
Basically what I'm saying is: I can see both sides of the argument. I don't personally find much in the game offensive, but I think anyone who's personally affected who did find it offensive is perfectly justified, and it'd be pretty shitty of me to yell them down about it.
[Image: 6WzBw.gif]
Thanked by: Garamonde
Best way to not offend people: don't make anything at all.

Second best: make everything HAPPY and don't say anything that is not HAPPY, because not HAPPY things can be offensive.

Besides, if the antagonist doesn't even attempt to offend (antagonize) the player, he can't really be called an antagonist.
Thanked by: