Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
BynineB's Sprite Salad Bowl
[Image: 2s97vxc.gif]

I wanted to make a submission to the Super Smash Bros Project, but it was very firmly stated that the ingame character list would not be changed. But there's still a character creator so neh.

Anyway, this is Genoseketu, Pokemon numero 649. These are only the frames for the (rather boring) idle stance; I didn't want to do much before recieving critique.

So, uh.. C+C please?
Thanked by:
Euhm.. Bump. I don't want to be rude, but it went off to the second page and I doubt anyone would look there. I do apologize.

[Image: 30u3de1.png]

So this post isn't pointless. It's a random plant caterpillar thing.. and yes, its head is meant to look flat.
Thanked by:
if its a caterpillar the least thing you want is to make it look flat
Thanked by: Iceman404
Well, it's a Fakemon; its main ability is blocking others attacking its partners in battle. With its head. I suppose it's more abstract than a caterpillar, but I had to describe it somehow.

Thank you for commenting!
Thanked by:
unlessits made of thin paper wich is clearly not the case here, you do want to give its head volume, so it wouldn't look like a racket. i'd asume it works like certain ants's defensive mechanism wich is basically blocking an entrance with their flat heads, in wich case you still need to make it look like a 3D object.
Hm, alright. Does this look more like you specified?

[Image: 30lp9qo.png]

I want it to look somewhat flat, and not very thick, but having actual width. Did I succeed?
Thanked by:
Sort out your lightsources. The light on the head is coming from directly above, on the body, it's from the left, and on the feet it's coming from everywhere.

Also, bump up the contrast of the green, and I don't like the way his nose is shaded, it makes it look like a button rather than a nose.
[Image: kuj9k.png]

Updated to Hoeloe's tips. It does look quite better than the original, but I'm not sure about the shading on the body segments..
Thanked by:
Shift the lightsource to the top left. That just means you need to shift the face shading and alter the body shading very slightly.
Thanked by:
[Image: ruwh9g.png]

Hmm.
Thanked by:
Lightsource is still directly above. Shift the highlight on the right side of his head.
Thanked by:
[Image: 21a0eic.png]
Thanked by:
just kinda scrolled through the thread and I'm barely seeing any changes between edits here

something most new spriters(and new artists in general) seem to have a problem with is making big changes to their work to fix a problem. if you want to make positive changes, you're going to have to do more than change 3 or 4 pixels at a time.
Thanked by:
Just trying to fix it to the specifications given. I don't really know what else to change.
Thanked by:
[Image: 1z53v4k.png]

Bump again. And again I'm sorry for bumping.

I would really appreciate C+C on the Genoseketo sprites in the OP though. That's my main concern.
Thanked by: