Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Poll: Whatcha think?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Awesome
26.92%
7 26.92%
good job/good luck
46.15%
12 46.15%
mite be cool
11.54%
3 11.54%
do something more productive
7.69%
2 7.69%
Bad idea
7.69%
2 7.69%
Total 26 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Pokemon Gen 1 remake
"Pokemon generation 1 remake?" you ask.
"That has already been done! Look at FireRed and LeafGreen!"

"But," I reply, "it wasn't remade the way I wanted it to be."

So what is this n00b's first post on these forums about?
Simple. I wish to recolor and vamp up the old generation sprites to the color palettes of the newer games.

"Oh boy, another of these guys... Just starting a project and leaving it to rust, never to actually get anything done."

Not true. You vastly underestimate this 19 year-old's sense of nostalgia. In fact, I have already begun.

Here is the wip for the in battle Pokemon sprites:
[Image: pokemonrecolorwipshot2.png]

throw animation (keep in mind it will be sliding, so despite minor mistakes, it may be fine. [AKA I don't feel like fixing it right now, but it is not out of the question])
[Image: throwanimationshadedfix.gif]

a walking sprite for our hero:
[Image: herowalkleft.gif]

EDIT: forgot the partysprites:[Image: partyspriteswip.png]

There are many mechanics that have to be considered, as in I will have to change the bag system, the old one was bad. Also, shininess, holding, etc need some thought before I make a decision.

I intend to code it myself, no ROM editing. I am a computer science student at a university, and I could definitely use the practice. What do you guys think?
this looks really nice, do you need any help with the sprites?
Thanked by:
At the moment, I would like to continue doing the 56x56 sprites myself, and have been going back and reshading the ones I started with, now that I am understanding color theory and how nintendo shades their newer sprites now.

HOWEVER, the partysprites (16x16, I believe) are tedious (to do in addition to all of the battle sprites). I am using the old GSC sprites as bases where possible (note caterpie, pidgey, and the starters). I am using the gen 3 remake sprites for color reference (FR/LG). I would love help on these.

I will probably take the Gen 2 sprites and recolor them for the backsprites, since it was so much work to up-resolution the backsprite for the trainer.

After I get some more done to show what I am going for, help with overworld sprites would be awesome, but right now, I want to try and establish the style for those before getting butthurt over someone trying to help...

Anything you have in mind?
If I get good enough/have enough time, I would like to animate them, similar to how crystal did theirs, but first things first, and I am not sure of it.

EDIT: noticing how wordy I just was, a tl;dr version:
Battle sprites: no
Overworld sprites: not yet
Party sprites: yes.

and if anyone has experience with Haaf's game engine, feel free to offer some pointers...
Thanked by:
the only problem I see with this is that the hero is using the frlg design, and not the design from the original game or ash.
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]
Thanked by:
(08-16-2010, 10:37 PM)Vipershark Wrote: the only problem I see with this is that the hero is using the frlg design, and not the design from the original game or ash.

I would be glad to change it if I had proper reference...

The FR/LG design is just what I had on me.

...and found this thanks to google: [Image: Red_Green_Red.png]

Like this?
Thanked by:
yeah
Thanked by:
Shouldn't Blastoise's lower jaw be the same color as the front of its shell?
[Image: 27348983yu7.png]
Thanked by: Neslug
(08-16-2010, 11:13 PM)A.J. Nitro Wrote: Shouldn't Blastoise's lower jaw be the same color as the front of its shell?

It should.

I would also be honored if you would join team GRP. There's a link in my sig.
[Image: teamgrpmember.png]

^Click to join the GameBoy REVAMP Forums!^
Thanked by:
craaaaap.

Oh well, I was in the middle of changing those sprites' shading anyway. See anymore errors, feel free to point them out!

also, on the subject of those forums... I may try posting some stuff there (particularly after I really have some stuff to show), but I am looking towards feedback, encouragement, and help (need somewhere a little more populated).
Thanked by:
Trainer's backpack changes size in that throwing motion
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Thanked by:
Whats up with Squirtles face? Otherwise these sprites are great
Thanked by:
well, they're just revamps from the original gameboy graphics
Spriter Gors】【Bandcamp】【Twitter】【YouTube】【Tumblr】【Portifolio
If you like my C+C, please rate me up. It helps me know I'm helping!
[Image: deT1vCJ.png]
Thanked by: DioShiba
(08-19-2010, 11:13 AM)The First Omega Wrote: Whats up with Squirtles face? Otherwise these sprites are great

nothing, that's how it looked in the original
the mouth is just red so it looks a bit awkward, but that's how it's supposed to look
Thanked by:
(08-19-2010, 10:29 PM)Gors Wrote: well, they're just revamps from the original gameboy graphics

This, and I don't see the point seeing the first gen has already been remade.

Although, Pokemon HD wouldn't be a bad idea.
Discord is Dioshiba#9513
Thanked by:
Hm, wow. o-o Are you still working on this?
Thanked by: