The VG Resource

Full Version: Pokemon Gen 1 remake
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
"Pokemon generation 1 remake?" you ask.
"That has already been done! Look at FireRed and LeafGreen!"

"But," I reply, "it wasn't remade the way I wanted it to be."

So what is this n00b's first post on these forums about?
Simple. I wish to recolor and vamp up the old generation sprites to the color palettes of the newer games.

"Oh boy, another of these guys... Just starting a project and leaving it to rust, never to actually get anything done."

Not true. You vastly underestimate this 19 year-old's sense of nostalgia. In fact, I have already begun.

Here is the wip for the in battle Pokemon sprites:
[Image: pokemonrecolorwipshot2.png]

throw animation (keep in mind it will be sliding, so despite minor mistakes, it may be fine. [AKA I don't feel like fixing it right now, but it is not out of the question])
[Image: throwanimationshadedfix.gif]

a walking sprite for our hero:
[Image: herowalkleft.gif]

EDIT: forgot the partysprites:[Image: partyspriteswip.png]

There are many mechanics that have to be considered, as in I will have to change the bag system, the old one was bad. Also, shininess, holding, etc need some thought before I make a decision.

I intend to code it myself, no ROM editing. I am a computer science student at a university, and I could definitely use the practice. What do you guys think?
this looks really nice, do you need any help with the sprites?
At the moment, I would like to continue doing the 56x56 sprites myself, and have been going back and reshading the ones I started with, now that I am understanding color theory and how nintendo shades their newer sprites now.

HOWEVER, the partysprites (16x16, I believe) are tedious (to do in addition to all of the battle sprites). I am using the old GSC sprites as bases where possible (note caterpie, pidgey, and the starters). I am using the gen 3 remake sprites for color reference (FR/LG). I would love help on these.

I will probably take the Gen 2 sprites and recolor them for the backsprites, since it was so much work to up-resolution the backsprite for the trainer.

After I get some more done to show what I am going for, help with overworld sprites would be awesome, but right now, I want to try and establish the style for those before getting butthurt over someone trying to help...

Anything you have in mind?
If I get good enough/have enough time, I would like to animate them, similar to how crystal did theirs, but first things first, and I am not sure of it.

EDIT: noticing how wordy I just was, a tl;dr version:
Battle sprites: no
Overworld sprites: not yet
Party sprites: yes.

and if anyone has experience with Haaf's game engine, feel free to offer some pointers...
the only problem I see with this is that the hero is using the frlg design, and not the design from the original game or ash.
(08-16-2010, 10:37 PM)Vipershark Wrote: [ -> ]the only problem I see with this is that the hero is using the frlg design, and not the design from the original game or ash.

I would be glad to change it if I had proper reference...

The FR/LG design is just what I had on me.

...and found this thanks to google: [Image: Red_Green_Red.png]

Like this?
yeah
Shouldn't Blastoise's lower jaw be the same color as the front of its shell?
(08-16-2010, 11:13 PM)A.J. Nitro Wrote: [ -> ]Shouldn't Blastoise's lower jaw be the same color as the front of its shell?

It should.

I would also be honored if you would join team GRP. There's a link in my sig.
craaaaap.

Oh well, I was in the middle of changing those sprites' shading anyway. See anymore errors, feel free to point them out!

also, on the subject of those forums... I may try posting some stuff there (particularly after I really have some stuff to show), but I am looking towards feedback, encouragement, and help (need somewhere a little more populated).
Trainer's backpack changes size in that throwing motion
Whats up with Squirtles face? Otherwise these sprites are great
well, they're just revamps from the original gameboy graphics
(08-19-2010, 11:13 AM)The First Omega Wrote: [ -> ]Whats up with Squirtles face? Otherwise these sprites are great

nothing, that's how it looked in the original
the mouth is just red so it looks a bit awkward, but that's how it's supposed to look
(08-19-2010, 10:29 PM)Gors Wrote: [ -> ]well, they're just revamps from the original gameboy graphics

This, and I don't see the point seeing the first gen has already been remade.

Although, Pokemon HD wouldn't be a bad idea.
Hm, wow. o-o Are you still working on this?
Pages: 1 2