Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Game Development Competition #1
I talked to Dex, and I have permission to post the first GameDev Comp for tSR. Before we start, I'd like to lay down some rules:

-You may use an existing engine, but it will disqualify you for the Code Warrior Badge. You may still enter for the Design Star Badge.
-You may work in groups of two or alone. This is for spriters who would like to learn how to program games and need a mentor.
-Custom sprites are not required, though it will make your game look prettier.
-Custom BGM or SFX are not required either, though it, too, will make you game much more attractive.
-Credits are required, whether it be an opening screen, ending credits, or just a button that displays the credits. You must credit you team member if you have one, whoever ripped/made the sprites, and whoever ripped/made the BGM/SFX.
-All languages are allowed.
-To submit your game for the Design Star Badge, post a link to the file-hosted executable in this thread and I will place it in the first post. TSR members will then vote for which game is the best in terms of design and graphics. BGM and SFX may help you here. This winner will be tSR's first Design Star.
-To submit your game for the Code Warrior Badge, PM both Kaikimi and I the game's code and we will both agree on who will be tSR's Code Warrior.

Two badges will be given out, one is the very pretty and very prestigious Code Warrior Badge that is determined by reviewing the coding techniques (thus it would not be an open voting because of code thieves, but it would be a judged by both you and I and we would have to agree on who gets it). The lesser but still pretty and prestigious Design Star Badge would be voted upon since it doesn't require seeing the code. Using an engine would disqualify you from Code Warrior, but you could still win Design Star. So one badge for the skilled and one badge for the creative.

Using a less advanced language will not decrease your chances for winning Code Warrior. The Code Warrior badge will be given to whoever uses their language best. Say a C++ dev made hella sloppy and inefficient code and a Small Basic dev was able to keep their code short and sweet while still being effective, the badge would go to the Small Basic dev.

That's all I can think of for now. The genre?

[Image: ipz4fd.jpg]
Genre: Inventive Puzzle Game
Due Date: March 31st
Quick Summary: You'll be making an inventive puzzle game. By "inventive", I mean no Tetris, Bubble Breaker, Puyo Pop, and the such. It has to be something creative. You have plenty of time so you won't feel rushed, and it's a pretty easy genre to tackle.

So go find someone to team with soon; participants must post the two names of the two team members by the 2nd so nobody will hop onto a winning project last minute.

Participants:
-robo9
-Vipershark/Sploder
-Mechant
-oB2Ko Mario
-TomGuycott
-Rags/Solarblade(TIGS)
-DeeY

I believe that's all. Be sure to sign up and do your best!
Thanked by: [robo9], Vipershark
robo9

Im guess Ill sign up, just me, no team for me
[Image: 803ce84258.gif]
Thanked by:
I'll sign up.

I'm fine with working alone, but if I was on a team, I'd prefer to be teamed with someone who has more GML/MMF2 experience than me. But heay, either way is fine.

Time to come up with some ideas.
[Image: ndsMEF0.gif][Image: sig.gif]
Thanked by:
I guess I'll enter this, then. I'm working solo.
メック
[Image: daftpunk.png]
ref
Thanked by:
ill enter this but i need a badass programmer(hey sengir!!) to help me out/ give me their knowledge!!!!

i got a cool puzzle idea alredy
Thanked by:
I'm in as me alone.
[Image: Dexter.png]  [Image: Bubbles.png]  [Image: SNWzHvA.png]   [Image: SamuraiJack2.png] [Image: kQzhJLF.png]  [Image: Pikachu.png] [Image: tSCZnqw.png]
Thanked by:
(02-28-2010, 03:25 PM)Layle Wrote: ill enter this but i need a badass programmer(hey sengir!!) to help me out/ give me their knowledge!!!!

I can't enter this and you know it.
Thanked by:
oh youre no fun. :C

then i quit cuz every programmer on tsr is total ass
Thanked by:
Maybe you can find somebody at the GM Forums?
[Image: Dexter.png]  [Image: Bubbles.png]  [Image: SNWzHvA.png]   [Image: SamuraiJack2.png] [Image: kQzhJLF.png]  [Image: Pikachu.png] [Image: tSCZnqw.png]
Thanked by:
You can also learn yourself or find someone else interested in learning the same language.

e: That's really why I picked such a simple genre: It shouldn't be too hard to learn.

e2: And you have a whole month, it's enough time to get a game done even if you're new to game development.
Thanked by: Alpha Six
I *think* I have an idea for this project

sign me up :>
HAVE I BEEN MISLEAD?? [Image: TeamStory.gif] THE DREAM ISN'T DEAD???

Thanked by:
I don't know EXACTLY what I want to do, but reading the contest rules has a few ideas floating around in my head already. I'll sign up too.
Thanked by:
OHMYGOSH YES!

I'm signing up.
Thanked by:
Before I get too far with my concepts, are we permitted to mix genres?
Thanked by:
Actually... I think the first rule is a little strict...

Most of the people on tsr don't really know how to program, let alone do a good job of it.

I think people should be able to use existing engines or modify them and make everything else on their own.

I think rather than having a game development competition it should be focused more on game design. That way people can let more of their creative side be presented rather than the programming behind the scenes.
[Image: IGBanner.png]
Thanked by: Rosencrantz, Kitsu, Iceman404