Users browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)
The Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past (SNES)
What I know about the palette system so far through experimentation and Hyrule Magic:

- Game uses split palette bars, which means one palette with 16 colour blocks is split into 2x7 with 2 dummies in front of each bar (deep black, light pink, etc.)
- Hit flash uses a certain palette order which has to be researched
- Different enemy, but also different enemy colour means a different palette cycle when hit, needs more research
- Hit flash always uses 8 different palettes (loop)
- Hit flash uses whatever is loaded into the VRAM, which means multi-area enemies like the blue Stalfos have different hit flash palettes
- Enemies use the first half of the palette bar (1 dummy for bg colour, sprite itself uses the rest, which is 7 colours), haven't seen enemies which use palette bar 2 so far (research)
- Palette bar 2 is used for example by blue bomb, destroying a bush sfx and other things I have to find out. Same system here, one dummy in front and the rest of the 7 colours form the actual palette according to Hyrule Magic

I have to revise everything I did so far. It also explains why so many palettes are similar, they're just like two trains tied to each other but being separate units.
Ripping Tutorial for PC Engine / TurboGrafx 16 / TurboGrafx CD
https://www.vg-resource.com/thread-41637.html
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past (SNES) - by Barack Obama - 04-27-2023, 10:45 AM