Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Need help confirming if vertex shading works right on my model export for approval
  • The model is huge. Importing it into Blender with default unit scale, I thought that the model was invisible until I rotated the camera and discovered Kazooie's feet.
    A unit scale of 0.01 seems more appropriate, though it's up to you (and maybe the game uses a specific model-to-environment scale like Crash Bandicoot which you could calculate.)
  • The 'vert' texture precaution is interesting. Which programs cannot render vertex colours correctly without a diffuse channel?
    Anyway, that texture is 32x32 when it could be 1x1.
  • Materials with alpha channels were improperly configured.
  • 32 vertices were doubled and can be removed.
  • The model has an incorrect transform of:
    Code:
    1 0 0 0 0 -1.62921e-7 -1 0 0 1 -1.62921e-7 0 0 0 0 1
    Which should be:
    Code:
    1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1
  • The model's up axis should be set to 'Y_UP'
  • The model is missing texture-UV fallback bindings.
  • The model is missing bones and weights, but that's not your fault. Hopefully that data can be exported in the future.

• I would recommend lambert over phong shading, since you don't need to include values like 'specular' or 'shininess'.
  • I would recommend the following texture name changes:
    • 'shorts_front' to 'shorts_crotch'
    • 'shorts1' to 'shorts_legs'
    • 'belt' to 'belt_buckle'
    • 'image_0004' to 'belt_back'
    • 'upper_shorts' to 'belt_front'
  • I would also recommend ordering the materials alphabetically.
  • Manual modifications are necessary. Specifically:
    • During import, in the 'Import COLLADA' menu, in the 'Import Data Options' section, select 'Import Units'
    • After import, in the 'Properties' editor:
      • In the 'Material' tab, for each material:
        • In the 'Shading' section, select 'Shadeless'
        • In the 'Options' section, select 'Vertex Color Paint'
      • In the Texture tab:
        • For each texture, in the 'Influence' section, set the Blend mode to 'Multiply'
        • For the 'banjo_eye' and 'kazooie_eye' textures, in the 'Image Mapping' section, from the 'Extension' drop-down list, select 'Extend'
        • For the 'kazooie_wing' and 'belt' textures, in the 'Influence' section, enable 'Alpha'
I've implemented the main critiques, as well as cleaning up the model's XML entries and compressing the textures slightly (a 2.73629% reduction overall).
No credit is necessary.

Attached Files
.zip   Nintendo 64 - Banjo Kazooie - Banjo Kazooie (Revision).zip (Size: 33.49 KB / Downloads: 192)
Thanked by: Filler

Messages In This Thread
RE: Need help confirming if vertex shading works right on my model export for approval - by Friedslick6 - 01-06-2018, 09:52 PM