The VG Resource

Full Version: Need help confirming if vertex shading works right on my model export for approval
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, I've finally ripped the Banjo model from the first BK. It was annoying to get right, but it looks like this:

[Image: MGUo530.png]

This model is in .dae format. And I've NEVER had good luck with dae. Either the textures are missing, or the vertex shading goes nuts.

Anyways, I've provided a download below for testing. I have no idea what the standards for vertex shaded models like these are for approval, but if it's in a state of being approved, then I'll upload it.

EDIT: And yes, texture clamping needs to be fixed manually, I think?

EDIT 2: Misnamed one of the textures, I'll fix this on the final upload

[attachment=7917]
  • The model is huge. Importing it into Blender with default unit scale, I thought that the model was invisible until I rotated the camera and discovered Kazooie's feet.
    A unit scale of 0.01 seems more appropriate, though it's up to you (and maybe the game uses a specific model-to-environment scale like Crash Bandicoot which you could calculate.)
  • The 'vert' texture precaution is interesting. Which programs cannot render vertex colours correctly without a diffuse channel?
    Anyway, that texture is 32x32 when it could be 1x1.
  • Materials with alpha channels were improperly configured.
  • 32 vertices were doubled and can be removed.
  • The model has an incorrect transform of:
    Code:
    1 0 0 0 0 -1.62921e-7 -1 0 0 1 -1.62921e-7 0 0 0 0 1
    Which should be:
    Code:
    1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1
  • The model's up axis should be set to 'Y_UP'
  • The model is missing texture-UV fallback bindings.
  • The model is missing bones and weights, but that's not your fault. Hopefully that data can be exported in the future.

• I would recommend lambert over phong shading, since you don't need to include values like 'specular' or 'shininess'.
  • I would recommend the following texture name changes:
    • 'shorts_front' to 'shorts_crotch'
    • 'shorts1' to 'shorts_legs'
    • 'belt' to 'belt_buckle'
    • 'image_0004' to 'belt_back'
    • 'upper_shorts' to 'belt_front'
  • I would also recommend ordering the materials alphabetically.
  • Manual modifications are necessary. Specifically:
    • During import, in the 'Import COLLADA' menu, in the 'Import Data Options' section, select 'Import Units'
    • After import, in the 'Properties' editor:
      • In the 'Material' tab, for each material:
        • In the 'Shading' section, select 'Shadeless'
        • In the 'Options' section, select 'Vertex Color Paint'
      • In the Texture tab:
        • For each texture, in the 'Influence' section, set the Blend mode to 'Multiply'
        • For the 'banjo_eye' and 'kazooie_eye' textures, in the 'Image Mapping' section, from the 'Extension' drop-down list, select 'Extend'
        • For the 'kazooie_wing' and 'belt' textures, in the 'Influence' section, enable 'Alpha'
I've implemented the main critiques, as well as cleaning up the model's XML entries and compressing the textures slightly (a 2.73629% reduction overall).
No credit is necessary.
Thank you oh-so much! Are you sure you don't want credit? As you did fix quite a lot of the issues.

I'll probably be getting it ready tonight, then. As it looks like it's perfect, now.
(01-06-2018, 10:05 PM)Filler Wrote: [ -> ]Are you sure you don't want credit?
Yeah, no worries. Thank you for your contribution.
I forgot to actually add the texture-UV fallback bindings properly, so I reuploaded the revision.

(01-06-2018, 09:52 PM)Friedslick6 Wrote: [ -> ]The 'vert' texture precaution is interesting. Which programs cannot render vertex colours correctly without a diffuse channel?
Also, something interesting I found. Your model correctly imports units while my Motorcycle Crash model doesn't, because Blender only correctly interprets 2 places of the unit scale's decimal value.
What software did you use? I used the most recent build of Blender.

Most of it is probably due to me not understanding how .dae works. Also, the weird issue with vertex shading happened on his model in the BK editor. Where the bottom of his pants are rendered pure black with no vertex shading.

[Image: K6VynJ7.png]

Also, some games like GoldenEye 64 tends to freak out if you don't have a texture assigned to a model (every model in that game will use a small texture to render vertex shading instead). I'd rather take a precaution in having it work right in most software than not.
(01-06-2018, 10:24 PM)Filler Wrote: [ -> ]What software did you use? I used the most recent build of Blender.
Most of it is probably due to me not understanding how .dae works.
Same. Blender and 3D Studio Max can render vertex colours without textures, but I'm not sure about others.
(01-06-2018, 10:24 PM)Filler Wrote: [ -> ]Also, the weird issue with vertex shading happened on his model in the BK editor. Where the bottom of his pants are rendered pure black with no vertex shading.
That's not the only problem, as it looks like the vertex colour mapping directions are flipped. But it looks fine in Blender at least.
(01-06-2018, 10:24 PM)Filler Wrote: [ -> ]...some games like GoldenEye 64 tends to freak out if you don't have a texture assigned to a model...
Fair enough, and it doesn't affect the model at all.