Users browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)
Paraemon's Comprehensive Ripping Project Thread [Expansion Station]
So, further on my weird stipulation regarding Transition palettes, guess what I've gone and figured out!

[Image: Transition.png]

So, the 21st "frame" (actually the 42nd when counting frame-by-frame, since each palette shift is every second frame) is full RGB: 0,0,0. To get to that point, though, relies on the existence of the RGB: 238,238,238 color in a palette line (see the top left square in each set). The rules for the darkening is rather simple. All explanations below rely on the use of the Full with S/H color schemes.

If the palette uses values in all RGB slots - for example, R:102, G:204, B:238 - then the red is the first color to go. Subtract values of 34 per shift until the R value is 0. Then start subtracting 34 from the G value per shift. Once the B value is left, then subtract 34 until you're left with RGB: 0,0,0.

However, if there is no B value, then red still goes first if it is mixed with a G value. If two of any value (for example, R:0, G:136, B:0) is 0, then just subtract values of 34 from the existing color until you reach RGB: 0,0,0.

This is why it takes 20 shifts from the 'white' (R:238, G:238, B:238) to get to the black color. And that's the "fade-out".

To get a fade-in, take the non-RGB: 0,0,0 palettes and flip them vertically, then place them immediately beneath to the 21st line, including the longest one that goes back towards RGB: 238,238,238. If the inevitably shorter columns don't reach the bottom like the longest one does, stretch the bottom-most color of each column until the lowest point aligns with that of the longest colum.

If you want to, you can include the first 20 lines that lead to RGB: 0,0,0 - but I intentionally don't so I don't repeat things, so I copy the middle 19 lines between the start and the zenith of the palette shifts.

Will I still include these in the final releases? Well, not as alternative palettes to full maps or backgrounds or anything like that, can you imagine the inane nightmare that would be? No, I feel as though this would be better left to simpler things like the monitor sprites that I'm intending to implement the transition palettes upon considering Sandopolis Zone's take on the way the transition works, and the individual shifts would be chalked up as alternate palettes on sheets for anyone wanting to animate their own mock-ups of fades.
[Image: WatSig.png]
Thanked by: Ton

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Observer's Comprehensive Ripping Project Thread [Sonic] - by Paraemon - 12-19-2018, 08:01 PM