Users browsing this thread: 6 Guest(s)
Paraemon's Comprehensive Ripping Project Thread [Expansion Station]
(10-29-2018, 12:04 AM)Dolphman Wrote: While I ripped all the parts and put them in their own sheet, you're doing a better job with the preassembled Eggman boss sprites than the current ones we have.
You should do the same for the preassembled STH2 Eggman boss sheets.

It's also interesting that this boss strangely changes the chalky black in Sonic's palette into a solid black.

Thank you! Though functionally the idea I have in mind is breaking the boss machines into "pieces", I probably ought to have clarified what might've already been evident on the WIP sheet. Each animated part of the boss is given an highlighted box as to what to put where, so it's simultaneously pieces and pre-assembled, so to speak. If that makes any sense?

But yeah, shall get onto the Sonic 2 bosses at some point. I still just don't feel any interest for that game and don't know why.

Agreed, it is interesting! What is more interesting, however, is that by using Gens GS r7's Palette Lock during the boss battle, the solid black reverts back to the chalky black.

(10-30-2018, 09:41 PM)Superjustinbros Wrote: This is going to be a great sheet, I wish you luck in finishing it.

Thank you! I can actually confirm that the Screw Mobile sheet is complete, but want to upload it with the rest of the bosses, once I've got them complete.

(10-31-2018, 01:09 PM)Ton Wrote: That palette stuff is awesome. Can't wait to see where it leads!

Thanks man!

I actually realised I missed a color adjustment on the Master Emerald flash work, so there's one row more than there should be; there are never more than 7 color adjustments until the full sprite reaches R:238, G:238, B:238 across all parts of its palette. But it's now fixed, and I just need to figure out frames 9 to 14!

Mid-November Update!

As I completed Screw Mobile, I turned my attention towards the Graviton Mobile. I should state now that I haven't touched this in a couple of weeks; between university classes, job searching and other commitments, back to the backburner has the project gone. I hopefully should have time around the holiday period, but likely once January 4th is here all bets are off and my time for the half-month after that is focused on finishing assignments.

But in the meantime, here's the WIP!

[Image: Graviton-Mobile.png]

While I'm still typing, I can now state something large scale for the project - just bare with me for the next bit! After looking over a comment made on the summer release of Hidden Palace Zone, I did a little bit of testing a couple of weeks ago and learnt how to apply the Shadow overlay without needing to directly rip it from the 0408/0517/0525 Prototypes. That was the good part. The utterly stupid part was that it took me until about 40 minutes ago to realise how to apply the Highlight overlay - it was just simple maths.

So, the Full with S/H palette's highest possible value without Shadow or Highlight overlay activated with Debug Mode is R:238, G:238, B:238 - the lightest grey on the gloves/socks/eyes/plain metal etc or that is otherwise most shines. With Shadow overlay applied, the values become R:119, G:119, B:119; half that of the original - R: 34, G: 34, B: 34, the lowest that isn't all zeroes in value, becomes the lowest possible in Shadow overlay - R:17, G:17, B:17.

Now, as I kind of explained in my previous post, the two overlays integrate every 17th value between the following: 0, 34, 68, 102, 136, 170, 204 & 238. The Shadow overlay goes no higher than R:119, G:119, B:119, whereas the Highlight overlay goes no lower than R:136, G:136, B:136. In essence, the 17 times table is used.

This brings me onto how the Highlight overlay functions! Half of 0 is still 0, so that solid black isn't getting changed anytime soon. As the aforementioned comment stated, the Highlight overlay adds #8 onto the color values. Take off the hash, and it just becomes 8. Then multiply 17 by 8, and it becomes 136. If the value of 136 is added onto a value that is 119 or higher, it becomes 255 regardless.

Hopefully that explanation made sense! But to simplify, the Shadow and Highlight overlays can now be applied to sheets which would otherwise lack it, such as Data Select or the Title Screen, including those of Sonic 1, CD or 3D origins. Doesn't that fondle your fancy?
[Image: WatSig.png]
Thanked by: Dolphman, Ton

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Observer's Comprehensive Ripping Project Thread [Sonic] - by Paraemon - 11-16-2018, 06:18 PM