Users browsing this thread: 12 Guest(s)
Paraemon's Comprehensive Ripping Project Thread [Expansion Station]
Oh hey! I have an update! I felt this was quite important enough considering what I've found out and didn't particularly want to wait around until Christmas to explain it.

In the midst of setting up the Knuckles sheet that I'm working on with Triangly, I decided to take a look at the already-acquired flash palette variations for Sonic and Knuckles.

[Image: FLash.png]

Since I've been working with the Full with S/H version of the palette, I never checked before today about the colors and how they operate; every 17 positions across the shadow and highlight overlays, but every 34 for the regular palette.

Looking at the above cycles for the flash (as seen in Launch Base, Mushroom Hill and Lava Reef), as I said, (at least mostly) each color shifts by 34, but never goes further then 238 (in Paint), which, as seen in the eighth frame, is the light grey. So this got me thinking, what happens if I apply this logic to the issue I've faced with trying to get the glowing Master Emerald to correlate with the flash palette?

So I had a play about, and it turned out to be at least fairly accurate! Well, for the second row, at least (the first row is the non-effected palette). See, in the regular gameplay during the final fight against Super Mecha Sonic, the third and fourth stages of the flash wind up causing the Master Emerald to have a messed up palette set that doesn't conform to the rest of the lightening shift as seen in the stage and on the characters. Trying to get the game equivalents for the third and fourth rows didn't work because, as I mentioned in a previous post, there were more (still an unknown amount of) palettes than there should've been considering there are only seven glow frames, and the "glows" at in that attempt were darker than standard.

Though this was done with an FwS/H style palette, I feel that this was what the developers were intending on originally but never finished implementing, for whatever reason. Of course, to see how far I could take this, relative to the Sonic and Knuckles flash variations above, I gave an extra four rows to account for how it'd look like if this version of the Master Emerald's glow was exposed to the full flash cycle as seen in LBZ, MHZ and LRZ (I'll work out the final six frames later).

[Image: Master-Emerald-Flash.png]

As such, it came to an odd conclusion unlike that seen with rad red and the speedy one. The green seen in the first and fourth glows on the eighth row is logically unable to be made grey with the rest of the Emerald when taking into account the jump-in-increments-of-34 between each color on each row. I simply perceive this to be the Master Emerald being superior to whatever's causing the flash, but find it interesting that this is the only thing left over that isn't bound to the common rule of the entire sprite becoming grey. I shall have another test later to see if such an instant would actually come to pass.

I should also mention that the glowing palettes for the main trio's super/hyper forms also neglect to overly conform with the flash cycles and have some odd palettes. As seen here with Super Sonic, the lower four palettes appear during the height of the flash cycle, and don't have a nominal place in comparison to what I currently have charted out. In honesty, I believe that it would be a nightmare to actually try and grab all the proper palettes since it'd require multiple stage restarts and timings to get everything accurate - that's not just the palettes we normally see with the super and hyper forms, but also that of the few light blue colors that Sonic has before actually attaining the super yellow color, so for now I won't be adding these palette extents to the character sheets but edited versions in line with what I've found (these will be noted on sheet).
[Image: WatSig.png]
Thanked by: Ton

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Observer's Comprehensive Ripping Project Thread [Sonic] - by Paraemon - 10-27-2018, 05:00 PM