Users browsing this thread: 6 Guest(s)
Paraemon's Comprehensive Ripping Project Thread [Expansion Station]
[Image: Special_Stage_8_BG.png]

Bigger than regular update!

Sonic 1

First up, I've begun progress on one of the tougher backgrounds of the original game. Green Hill seems to, based on what I've properly seen on Acts 1 and 3, have different layouts for the mountainous backdrop in each act, so each act will get individual sheets ala the indoor backgrounds for Marble Zone and the differing backdrops of Scrap Brain Zone.

[Image: S1_GHZ_A1_BG.png] 

As I mentioned previously, I've upgraded the Objects sheet for Labyrinth Zone; I'll do a similar thing for Scrap Brain Zone Act 3, since it has its own underwater palette. The enemy sheet is 99.75% done, I'm just missing two tiles. I'll release the updated collection in time, once I've got several more Sonic 1 collections finished.

[Image: S1_LZ_OBJ.png] 

Marble Zone Act 3's map is finally complete; it basically took a full day to do due to issues with tile alignment. Fun fact, there is a bit of extra content at the very end of the map that I found through plane explorer. Worry not, it's recolored to the standard the rest of the sheets are in.

[Image: S1_MZ_A3_FG.png]

Advice no longer required, I just did my own thing after waiting around. Star Light Zone's background is now broken down into parallax sections, and I'll add the notes for the stars later (ripping the individual tiles will be too time-consuming and amount to thousands upon thousands of the buggers). This now just leaves Scrap Brain Zone Act 1 and the Green Hill acts' backgrounds to finish ripping.

[Image: S1_SLZ_BG.png]

Sonic CD

So, after all my plight of not being able to rip certain parts of Sonic CD due to some weird stretching going on, something somehow changed and allowed me to get such parts.

And this is not one of those parts. Out of sheer bemusement, I decided to rip all the frames (since it's Sega CD and not Sega PC, the FMVs are sprite based) from the opening and ending FMVs for Sonic CD. I had planned on doing this a couple of weeks ago, but I figured I might as well do it while I was getting the Time Stones. Right now, I'm just working on the Bad Ending. Bizarrely, the FMVs crash in what I assume is the moment they're meant to fade out and return to the title screen, so I'm operating under the pure assumption that all the frames have ripped, and I don't intend to make a second run through of the rips.

[Image: SCD_BAD_EPILOGUE.png]

Special Stage 6 is one of the two more difficult stages to rip the backgrounds from, so for now, the buildings are the only thing I've managed to extract, as the endless motioned rainbow background is a frame by frame process.

[Image: SCD_SS_6_BG.png]

And voila, the Time Stones! This sheet won't take long to finish, but it'll be released in an eventual collection of all Special Stage content.

[Image: SCD_TIME.png]

I've finally decided to brave the Zone 1 Present background of Tidal Tempest. The volcanoes only appear in this act, and I need to explore the layout for Zone 2 Present's background. The Labyrinth Zone-esque brick backgrounds utilise the outdoors palette to a certain point, so I'm tackling that (about 5 out of 7 max) first before actually dealing with the volcano animations, the subsequent glowing shifts, and the underwater palette for the lower background.

[Image: SCD_TT_PRESENT_BG.png]

The 510 prototype background for Tidal Tempest Past. Most of the dry version is the same as the final, but I figured I should at least grab the Flubber-coated version.

[Image: SCD510_P_TT_PAST_BG.png]

And finally, from the 510 prototype, the Present background for Wacky Workbench (Zone 1?). The left image is a result of the bouncy floor triggering a light flash, which appears at certain positions, and the right image is the proper palette. Animations need to be observed since, like the flash, they operate when moving in debug to certain positions.

[Image: SCD510_P_WW_Z1_PRES_BG_FLASH.png] [Image: SCD510_P_WW_Z1_PRES_BG_PARALLAX.png]
[Image: WatSig.png]
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Observer's Comprehensive Ripping Project Thread [Sonic] - by Paraemon - 08-23-2018, 04:12 PM