Users browsing this thread: 26 Guest(s)
Paraemon's Comprehensive Ripping Project Thread [Expansion Station]
So Hidden Palace became a pain in the ass. Not quite sure how to tackle the foreground - I tried disassembling all the pieces, but that meant more work for those who would have wanted to construct a working area. I then took Divine Insect's idea of 256x256 size chunks, but that left some parts irreconcilably removed since they sat between floor and ceiling but adhered to neither in the 256x256 system. Right now, it's on pause until I can figure out a better way to tackle it. This is the same for Launch Base, though that might be easier to deal with. Time will tell.

Current Knuckles progress. I've tried to capture the dust animation when he slides along the floor at the end of a glide, but that seems to change each time with different initial dust cloud shapes. That requires more investigation. The Spin Dash has it's own little section because the original idea was to give all the varieties of the animation the dust trail, but left it to being two examples, the one on the right being the example for the other four frames when placing that particular dust trail; notes to follow.

A placeholder for work on the Hydrocity Act 2 background (you'll see the extent below). I figured I'd show this corner-piece off, as it takes the underwater palette for the red bar and text, but also showing that something else is coming.

[Image: Hydrocity_Act_2.png]

And finally, the current extent of work that I can show as an example. Some of it's covered, but those folders contain a few things I still need. Some are tagged "RAW" because they're a couple of weeks old and haven't felt like getting around to them. The Amy folders are there because I got bored and wanted to rip something not actually in the game, and I haven't got around to deleting the Bright folder yet (laziness). Badnik progress in particular is on pause as it takes a lot of time to work out which works where, how, and then trying to avoid them (FLYBOT767  Angry ) long enough to see if there can be a boss hit palette (Mushroom Hill is the worst so far). Those in red bubbles are of particular interest to me, because of the peculiarities they contain:

Hydrocity 2 Background: Truly, what will become a worthwhile endeavour in slicing up the Parallax. Unlike Launch Base and Hidden Palace, the Parallax has overlapping layers, so some n x n sections actually scroll two objects on the same level. Doesn't that fondle your interest?

Hydrocity 2 Program Background: Tried dicking around in the tunnel at the start of Act 2 to get the background, but like the blog NES Boy linked to, I found that text replaced the arcs and the background turned to numbers. Just something I ripped for fun, it wouldn't be overly practical to include it in the final sheet.

Ice Cap False Color (Sonic) Backgrounds: These go across Act 1 and Act 2, though some parts are still incomplete. But there are weird pockets, especially at the start of each act, that contain irregular palettes/palette animations. I need to make revisits with Tails and Knuckles, as they have access to some other pieces from what I saw when going Bright.

Lava Reef Glowing Boss Objects: the Hidden Palace/Sky Sanctuary teleporter appears in the Boss area and has a color-cycling animation. Sadly, no badniks exist in the debug data in this area, the furthest they can be taken to is Knuckles' boulder hijinks.

[Image: Work.png]
[Image: WatSig.png]
Thanked by: Ton

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Comprehensive Sonic 3 / & Knuckles Ripping Project - by Paraemon - 08-30-2017, 04:09 AM