Users browsing this thread: 12 Guest(s)
Paraemon's Comprehensive Ripping Project Thread [Expansion Station]
I'll be fair, I did expect some early resistance.

Quote:Hate to break it to you, but the brighter palette is completely incorrect. The white renders them useless because it's the same as MS Paint's.

Which is a problem.... how? If the background used is not white, then surely it should not be an issue? The biggest problem I've encountered is the black being the same as MS Paint's, making parts of the Death Egg mechs hard to accurately rip without the planet backdrop.

Quote:See this? It's from Taxman's port of Sonic CD. This is the correct palette.

Except the game in question isn't Sonic CD; I'm not interested in working with sprites from that game, so the evidence provided won't shore up for the purposes of this project. Yes, I could make a little rip from the original CD and compare to the evidence, but since I'm working with S3K, then surely a sample of the sprites altered accordingly for the PC would be more logical to test? I am aware that Taxman's work on S3K is a proof of concept video, and the sprites are not/may not be readily available, so maybe provide an example from the Sonic & Knuckles Collection?

While the subject of the PC port is brought up...

Quote:Whatever setting your emulators are using. You have the brightness up way too high.
My rips were done using GENS' and with its rendering set to RAW, which matches the palettes of the ports.

The only setting I have activated in GENS is the sound muted, I don't touch the graphic affectation settings for fear of screwing things up in the emulator when trying to rip; I've already twice encountered a problem in sudden JPEG quality cropping up in GENS for no discernible reason. But I think there may be miscommunication - I am not ripping the sprites to align with the ports. As I said earlier on in the questions, I am trying to achieve rips of quality like what Mister Man had done for the Get Blue Spheres sheet; the rips I have of the special stages thus far appear to match the palettes on his sheet.

Right now, the best consideration I have for the suggestion you're giving is a palette comparison between the palette I'm working with, and your 'RAW palette' in some corner of the sheets. Ripping the sprites is the harder work, but getting the colours is child's play once that harder part is out of the way - it's easier to identify their location/frames. That way the people can choose which palette they want to use when editing the sprites. Fair, no? "Completion + +", so to speak.

Also, I will admit that I am curious; the only reason I did not include the letter-lacking blue ball as seen in the background as a individual sprite for "Completion +" was because I could not locate an accompanying darker shade that would fit with it. Are you sure that the black shade is part of the sphere?
[Image: WatSig.png]
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Comprehensive Sonic 3 / & Knuckles Ripping Project - by Paraemon - 07-31-2017, 04:24 AM