Users browsing this thread: 5 Guest(s)
Is this acceptable? (Mario 3-style enemies)
(01-31-2018, 01:56 PM)Dolphman Wrote: I'm liking this new style you're going with. Also like that you have the thug Koopa that was only seen in Mario's Time Machine as well.

Thanks, that means a lot given you had previously stated how you felt that the SMAS SMB3-derived style was overused, so I suppose I'm heading in the right direction inĀ making it more unique and fluid. I'm also finally getting down the "turning" and "fluid, natural walking" animations that have vexed me for years. I'm going to try and minimize the amount of 2-frame animations, as I figured out I can see how spritesĀ animate by positioning them over each other at certain distances and scrolling, which shows me which are good and which are less so. Also, because SMB3 lacks sprite rotation, I'm going to make separate sprites for each frame of any rotating enemy...well, rotating, just as a matter of principal, and because that was always a thing that bugged me about the old sprite-based flash animations (aside from frequent mixing of styles...) I wish I'd remembered to show the "rolling giant spike ball" sprites I edited from the SMW2 Ball 'n' Chain, they're going to have like 24 unique frames when I'm done with them....also using that as an excuse to keep shading a consistent direction, so there isn't a reflection dot spinning around with it....

Oh, and as for the MTM Troopa thing, the NES MTM was one of the first games I ever emulated (about 10 years ago, a bit before I initially discovered the completely-different version of this place), and one of the first "official" Mario games I'd played in years at that point, so it's left a bit of a lasting impression on me. Back then, I thought they were off-model Hammer Bros. XD
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is this acceptable? (Mario 3-style enemies) - by Doc von Schmeltwick - 02-03-2018, 06:46 AM