Users browsing this thread: 4 Guest(s)
rev up the sonic cycle: Sonic Mania
I know that nobody plays Sonic for the story really (like Megaman and co.), but the story is so bad, it kinda scares you, since it's feeling more like a parody of a series you like before as a kid, rather than the series you remember.

At least Megaman and the other games mentioned are taking their world seriously and are not mocking them. You have occasionally here or there a little slip with a character that says "it's a videogame folks" or "world ends but let's make a joke while I can", but still, for the most part, you have a normal story, no blockbuster but still a story that can be called one and not this clowns fest in which Sonic keeps stating the obvious, he explains every bad joke in the most bland way possible and anything around him just goes with it, as he would be the coolest thing on earth, while he is directly mocking them during that.

Quote:but EVERY Sonic story kinda sucks.
Again, at least the story in the adventure games could be taken seriously. People didn't mock their own universe in it, villains were a real threat and each character had their own goals and better personalities, rather than being just cardboard. People are calling me probably again an adventure fanboy, but the problem here is, which sonic story was better here? Unleashed? Heros? 06? None of these were better in the slightest.

Heck, even the classic stories were better than most modern stories, despite having almost no story at all. But that's the catch. The classics concentrated on only the important story bits. "This guy bad, he does that, you encounter that guy, he seems bad, go and stop him" is way better than "Hehheehe baldy MC. Nosehair build again a robot that will turn against him that sucker. Mee teh best and I will always stop him, because that's how it will always be and how this game is".

Quote:If you want story, play Last of Us or well - anything else.
No, again. It's not that I want a blockbuster story or anything and I also don't play Sonic only for the story (that would be hell). I just want a story which I can endure and not have to hide in shame constantly (and I seem not to be the only one here) and characters would actually act believable. Telling me to play other games while staying to that concept will make them lose me at some point. A game can be sooo good, but if its story causes a headache to me, then I will think twice before getting into this torture.

I mean, why are people playing fantasy RPGs while others only play RPGs with sci-fi elements, even if both game are the same in terms of gameplay? Because of their setting, world, stories and characters. This is not only the case in RPGs. Plattformer, Action Adventure, even Puzzle games. There are so many similar Jump’n’Runs out there, but not everybody plays every single one of them, if the person has no interest in the games world and characters.

Just imagine, that one of your most favorite game universes is turned upside down and made into a parody, but is still part of the main series and this is now how the series will be… forever! This is what the new gen Sonic games are feeling to me like now (with new gen I mean anything after Heros, even though Heros started it all).

Quote:This game is about looking flashy and cool - like every 3D Sonic game has ever been.
Also this is wrong. Again, people will call me out on this, but even if the two adventure games were cheesy (especially Sonic), at least every character was aware of themselves, their world and what consequences their actions would have. While Adventure had here and there a stupid moral teaching that didn't make much sense ("don't stop following your dreams" - Amy), the characters and everything else was feeling like an alternative universe or world that could exist and not like a sitcom, a fake show or "videogame".

Sonic was always about the cool, but the way he was cool back then was not because he was a overpowered character that was making bad puns, but more about that he was like big bro to his friends and even to strangers, with which he became friends later and that he did everything to help people out of danger, while trying to stay "cool" in those dangerous, life risky situations (even if you could clearly see that he was not always staying cool everytime).

It was not only for the cool factor, but also it did make him more human than he is now. Now, he looks like a jerk that is only saving the world in order to impress his cardboard friends, which is the direct opposite of being "cool".
Thanked by: Gors

Messages In This Thread
rev up the sonic cycle: Sonic Mania - by Gors - 07-22-2016, 09:35 PM
RE: rev up the sonic cycle: Sonic Mania - by Gors - 07-22-2016, 09:57 PM
RE: rev up the sonic cycle: Sonic Mania - by Koh - 07-22-2016, 11:32 PM
RE: rev up the sonic cycle: Sonic Mania - by Ton - 07-23-2016, 10:04 AM
RE: rev up the sonic cycle: Sonic Mania - by Koh - 08-20-2016, 07:19 AM
RE: rev up the sonic cycle: Sonic Mania - by Koh - 08-20-2016, 10:49 AM
RE: rev up the sonic cycle: Sonic Mania - by Koh - 10-26-2016, 10:00 PM
RE: rev up the sonic cycle: Sonic Mania - by Koh - 10-27-2016, 01:25 PM
RE: rev up the sonic cycle: Sonic Mania - by Gors - 05-16-2017, 07:56 PM
RE: rev up the sonic cycle: Sonic Mania - by Gors - 05-24-2017, 08:17 AM