The VG Resource
rev up the sonic cycle: Sonic Mania - Printable Version

+- The VG Resource (https://www.vg-resource.com)
+-- Forum: Discussion Boards (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-133.html)
+--- Forum: Gaming Discussion (https://www.vg-resource.com/forum-135.html)
+--- Thread: rev up the sonic cycle: Sonic Mania (/thread-29596.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

rev up the sonic cycle: Sonic Mania - Gors - 07-22-2016

at least if this bombs like the rest, we'll have nice sprites to rip

RE: rev up the sonic cycle: Sonic Mania - Shade - 07-22-2016

*shows montage of actually decent sonic games of the past*

"But now"

"As we move forward"

Was seriously expecting a Sonic the Hedgehog: Nuts & Bolts announcement.

RE: rev up the sonic cycle: Sonic Mania - Jermungandr - 07-22-2016

I'm not really sure the Sonic Cycle could apply to this one. Most of the elements that cause said cycle to occur are already removed from the equation simply by proxy of the medium they've chosen to go with. We don't have to deal with bad story, bad voice acting, shitty new characters, poorly thought out new mechanics, and we already know how the game plays because we know the original Genesis titles. I'm no huge defender of Sonic or anything, but assuming that "the cycle" is going to apply to this game from the get go seems intensely cynical to me.

RE: rev up the sonic cycle: Sonic Mania - Gors - 07-22-2016

While you're right, we'll only know it'll be good only when it releases

until then I prefer not hyping it

RE: rev up the sonic cycle: Sonic Mania - BullockDS - 07-22-2016

The graphics are ridiculously buttery smooth, and overall look great, but methinks they're overdoing the mid-90s intense pastel hue-shifting in the new zones (at least the one they've shown off).

I doubt this will be the "major" anniversary game, however.

RE: rev up the sonic cycle: Sonic Mania - miyabi95_ - 07-22-2016

i honestly don't see any reason to not look forward to it, seeing as whitehead's leading the project (hopefully his sonic team superiors don't give any impossible release dates as they regularly do with sonic games). even though i'm not invested in sonic like i used to be, i like 2d sonic fan games, so my excitement for sonic mania isn't much different from my excitement for any recent fan game i've seen floating around the internet.

it looks like they're desperately trying to rebrand sonic back to what he used to be: no fluff, all fast-paced 2D platforming. if it ends up flopping again, they should just throw in the towel and return to shitposting on twitter.

...or a Monster World V perhaps?...maybe?

RE: rev up the sonic cycle: Sonic Mania - AkumaTh - 07-22-2016

I am definitely excited for this. I've seen his job on the Mobile ports and is very impressed. So I can't wait for the Sonic 2D Adventure.

RE: rev up the sonic cycle: Sonic Mania - Koh - 07-22-2016

Someone's gonna have to get their hand on those sprites. The hue-shifting is amazin'! Also, the animation is awesome. There's no excuse not to have smooth animations in 2D games anymore, and I'm glad they realized this. Hit us with all the careful attention to detail!

RE: rev up the sonic cycle: Sonic Mania - Omegajak - 07-22-2016

(07-22-2016, 09:35 PM)Gors Wrote: at least if this bombs like the rest, we'll have nice sprites to rip

Literally just watched the video had a moment read some comments and then realized I need to come here to say this and of course beat me to it! hueheuehueue!
Quote:
(07-22-2016, 09:45 PM)Jermungandr Wrote: I'm not really sure the Sonic Cycle could apply to this one. Most of the elements that cause said cycle to occur are already removed from the equation simply by proxy of the medium they've chosen to go with. We don't have to deal with bad story, bad voice acting, shitty new characters, poorly thought out new mechanics, and we already know how the game plays because we know the original Genesis titles. I'm no huge defender of Sonic or anything, but assuming that "the cycle" is going to apply to this game from the get go seems intensely cynical to me.

Jesus, Am I in the right forum? 

JC: *Pauses*....*Looks at URL* "Dude, I dunno..." 

RE: rev up the sonic cycle: Sonic Mania - SchAlternate - 07-23-2016

Holy shit everything in this game is beautiful.

That title screen animation made me gasp, seriously. *So smooth~*

RE: rev up the sonic cycle: Sonic Mania - NICKtendo DS - 07-23-2016

Oh wow.

Oh wow!

I'm actually hyped for this!

RE: rev up the sonic cycle: Sonic Mania - Dolphman - 07-23-2016

Oh my god, the sprite work looks beautiful! Looking forward for more. Is this going to be a retail game or digital? (Please don't be the latter)
Also can't get over how gorgeous the title screen animation is. So smooth and fluid, really on par with golden age cartoons.

If they were to add a fourth character. They could ask E-122 Psi permission to use his Amy Rose sprites.

The fact Christian Whitehead is developing this is the icing of the cake. He sure has come a long way.

In hindsight. His fan-game has pretty much become official.

RE: rev up the sonic cycle: Sonic Mania - Lemonray - 07-23-2016

Those Sonic sprites look incredible.

RE: rev up the sonic cycle: Sonic Mania - Ton - 07-23-2016

Whitehead. Yes.

If they add Amy, I wouldn't even be mad.

RE: rev up the sonic cycle: Sonic Mania - Goemar - 07-23-2016

Maybe Sonic Boom was a good thing. Like, maybe it's so shitty Sega now has to make sure the actual Sonic games aren't garbage.

It's early, but man, well done Sega, you actually seem to have made a smart decision.