Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
rev up the sonic cycle: Sonic Mania
Mixing gameplay elements is fine. I mean, you have to do it REALLY well for it too work, but it can work.
With Sonic, though - it didn't work.

Now don't get me wrong, when Sonic Adventure first came out - I was blown away. It looked so damn amazing, was super cool, great music. It was like the stuff of dreams. But only on face value. Without the nostalgia, without the Sonic name - it's just not great.

And in my opinion, Adventure 2 was worse. Maybe not as an actually worse game but it simply didn't build on the first enough and the other characters had way too many levels compared to Sonic.

Anyway, onto my actual point. Everything Sonic Adventure 2 does, it does 'ok'. But that's it. And having lots of different types of 'ok' doesn't make something good. The treasure hunting was pretty damn dull, the shooting was just not great at all (yes, it was different - but imagine a whole game of that? Exactly). And, the standard 3D Sonic levels still weren't great. They got nothing right but still kept trying to stick stuff onto it.

As for characters being there to give Sonic vulnerability and stuff - no. Like, I get some people want a Sonic game with a story and all that -
but what games have you been playing? The story in Sonic games is executed about as well as it is in Gears of War 2. Knuckles has always came off awkward as hell as if his lines are being passed to the guy as he speaks and then we have the infamous Tails stands perfectly still while the Chaos Emerald is stolen from him.

Basically, it's just bad.

Once 3D Sonic is actually a solid good game - then add some dude who does something different. Adding more broken stuff onto something already broken is just bad. It may make fans happy so they can write there fan-fiction and colour Sonic green and make a story where he's a terrible webhost or something but gamers, Sega - and Sonic - deserve a truly good 3D game. And as many times as Sega may say 'we're going back to Sonic's roots this time!' - they have yet to make a universally praised game that is seen as a classic.
[Image: randomimage.cgi]
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
rev up the sonic cycle: Sonic Mania - by Gors - 07-22-2016, 09:35 PM
RE: rev up the sonic cycle: Sonic Mania - by Gors - 07-22-2016, 09:57 PM
RE: rev up the sonic cycle: Sonic Mania - by Koh - 07-22-2016, 11:32 PM
RE: rev up the sonic cycle: Sonic Mania - by Ton - 07-23-2016, 10:04 AM
RE: rev up the sonic cycle: Sonic Mania - by Koh - 08-20-2016, 07:19 AM
RE: rev up the sonic cycle: Sonic Mania - by Koh - 08-20-2016, 10:49 AM
RE: rev up the sonic cycle: Sonic Mania - by Koh - 10-26-2016, 10:00 PM
RE: rev up the sonic cycle: Sonic Mania - by Koh - 10-27-2016, 01:25 PM
RE: rev up the sonic cycle: Sonic Mania - by Gors - 05-16-2017, 07:56 PM