Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Does the look of the DKC series match the gameplay?
(04-14-2015, 04:40 AM)Koopaul Wrote: I don't see Donkey Kong as a facet of Mario. I mean would you consider Batman a facet Superman?

This analogy is severely flawed... Mario and Donkey Kong were born in the same title, succeeded together, and have existed together since their very inception. Superman and Batman were created individually. DK and Mario's relationship is way more along the lines of Batman and Catwoman than it is Batman and Superman.

Comic books certainly make it trickier with the Mega Franchise concept, I'll admit. But even taking that into consideration, it would mean that Batman and Superman are facets of the DCU franchise... comparing franchises to comic book universes just doesn't work, which is specifically why I chose Friends despite being way more equipped to talk about comics.

Honestly, look at the facts here. Games DK has starred in without Mario:

Donkey Kong 3
Donkey Kong Jr. Math
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3
Donkey Kong Land
Donkey Kong Land 2
Donkey Kong Land 3
Diddy Kong Racing
Donkey Kong 64
Donkey Konga
Donkey Konga 2
Donkey Konga 3
Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
Donkey Kong Barrel Blast
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
DK King of Swing
DK Jungle Climber

So even including games where Donkey isn't even playable, we have
Total: 19

Now, games where DK and Mario are eqyally important entities:

Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Jr.
Donkey Kong '94
Mario vs. Donkey Kong (whole franchise, five games)

Total is eight. Looks good for DK's own identity so far... but...

Games where DK and his crew are supporting characters to the rest of the Mario cast:

Super Mario Kart (11 games)
Mario's Tennis (five games)
Mario Golf (4 games)
Mario Party (10 games)
Mario Hoops 3-on-3
Mario Sports Mix
Super Mario Strikers (Two games)
Mario Superstar Baseball (Two games)
Game & Watch Gallery (franchise is four games. Even more fun because it's Mr. G&W only non-Smash appearance)

That's forty... and I got bored...

The games where DK appears with Mario out number DK's own games by at least thirty, again even counting games where DK is not even playable. For about a decade the two only showed up together, with the exception of DK's two tail-end arcade games. Donkey Kong's solo outings barely outnumber Yoshi's or Wario's, and being totally honest, the Kongs are the only spinoff franchise to seriously influence Mario's side games (although at this point the majority of Mario's games are side games). Kamek hasn't been playable, I don't think any of Wario's posse has played even supporting roles in Mario Party/Kart/Sports... but Donkey, Diddy, Dixie, Tiny, K. Rool, Kremlings, and Funky have all made a place among the greater Mario cast.

The two characters are too intimately linked to ever claim they are distinct properties with a straight face.

Edit: Look at these photos

Do you see the common element? Even most of the Donkey Kong merchandise is labelled "Super Mario". Nintendo clearly thinks of them as the same property.
[Image: Dexter.png]  [Image: Bubbles.png]  [Image: SNWzHvA.png]   [Image: SamuraiJack2.png] [Image: kQzhJLF.png]  [Image: Pikachu.png] [Image: tSCZnqw.png]
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: Does the look of the DKC series match the gameplay? - by Kriven - 04-14-2015, 03:00 PM