Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Does the look of the DKC series match the gameplay?
I do have to agree with Koopaul that I really don't see how DKC is a spinoff of Mario, or why people view it that way. Donkey Kong does crossover with Mario often, but the country games are indeed, their own seperate franchise. The other two Mario spinoffs, Wario Land and Yoshi's Island, have borrowed elements and characters from the Mario games, while Donkey Kong more or less is its own self contained universe, not counting the Mario vs DK games.

I also wanted to comment on Recme's post- the Donkey Kong games were designed without Health Meters to keep you immersed in the level. There were no menus obstructing your view of any particular stage, it was designed so you can appreciate the level. Donkey Kong, similarly to Sonic, has a movepool that can dispatch most enemies without the need for Power Ups. Though there are usually barrels, animal buddies, etc littered thoughout a level that assist the player. But DK himself can go though a level speedy and with fluidity, almost comparable to Sonic.

I more or less think Nintendo didn't know what to DO with Donkey Kong in between 1999 when DK64 dropped and 2004 when Namco's Donkey Konga released. They were more or less stuck with this character and this franchise they had no idea what to do with. 5 years is a long time in gaming, and we definitely didn't think a giant doofy gorilla with bongo drums was "cool". Not to mention that Nintendo was already sort of shitting the bed with the Gamecube by that point, and the PS2 was crankin' out amazing titles. 10 years after Donkey Kong was revived as a character, Nintendo had no idea what to do with him! Just stick characters from his world in the Mario Sports Games, that'll work.

Tastes change, and it didn't help that Donkey Kong and his franchise were dormant for so long. But I definitely think there's future in Donkey Kong as a franchise in the future. He definitely does have appeal, I don't think people would've purchased DKC Returns if he wasn't likeable.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Does the look of the DKC series match the gameplay? - by Ark Kuvis - 04-14-2015, 12:03 PM