Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Taking a crack at game development
In terms of gameplay, even if it's basically like every other point-and-click adventure you've played, it's still important to make sure everybody understands exactly how it should work. Some people might not play many (or any) point-and-click adventure games, and in my personal experience they can actually differ a lot. For example, Strong Bad's Cool Game For Attractive People is quite different than The Neverhood. The former has an inventory that you can view and experiment with, while the latter only has a few key items that Klaymen uses automatically when he needs to. Also the dialogue system: once again in SBCGFAP you have some very simple dialogue choices ("nice" or "mean"), while in The Neverhood there's actually no dialogue at all.
Then you've got Myst which is first-person, and Gemini Rue in which you can choose interact with objects and people in 5 different ways: with your eyes, mouth, hands, feet, or any of the items in your inventory. You've also got a communicator which you use to call people and store important information.

Your experience of point-and-click games might to be a number of games of similar natures, but as I've just shown the genre is actually quite broad and as someone who hasn't played Monkey Island or Day of the Tentacle, I'm not really sure what your game is supposed to play or look like. And who knows, if you lay out the gameplay and share it, people might have some nifty suggestions to make it a bit unique.

As for the story, choose the one you think is better. It's your game, after all. "Better" can rely on a lot of factors though, so if I were you I'd sit and have a good think about it. Like I've said, think about the experience you want to give the player, which story can do that, and how that affects the gameplay.
Also, keep in mind that as development progresses you're bound to make changes to a number of things including the story, be it big or small, so you shouldn't expect everything to fall into place right away. This is no small project and things will need to be refined to fit together comfortably.
You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down. -Mary Pickford

Messages In This Thread
Taking a crack at game development - by E-Man - 07-19-2014, 07:58 AM
RE: Taking a crack at game development - by E-Man - 07-20-2014, 11:28 AM
RE: Taking a crack at game development - by E-Man - 07-22-2014, 05:05 PM
RE: Taking a crack at game development - by E-Man - 07-23-2014, 06:24 AM
RE: Taking a crack at game development - by E-Man - 07-23-2014, 12:19 PM
RE: Taking a crack at game development - by E-Man - 07-24-2014, 05:18 PM
RE: Taking a crack at game development - by E-Man - 07-27-2014, 05:38 PM
RE: Taking a crack at game development - by E-Man - 07-28-2014, 06:58 AM
RE: Taking a crack at game development - by puggsoy - 07-28-2014, 07:37 AM
RE: Taking a crack at game development - by E-Man - 07-28-2014, 06:07 PM
RE: Taking a crack at game development - by E-Man - 07-29-2014, 11:00 AM