Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Taking a crack at game development
You both raise a good point. The concept of doing the gameplay before the story is one Shigeru Miyamoto keeps closely to heart and what helped Capcom when they created the Oracle games. If I was working on a platforming game, this is what I would focus a lot of my energy into.

However, since this is a click and point adventure game, I feel like the rules are different this time around. You see, if you ever look at a few standard click and point adventure games, the overall gameplay is practically the same. The graphics and characters may be different and each one has its own story, but that's just it. A few other adventure games have a few exceptions (such as having more than one playable character in Day of the Tentacle), but that's more or less besides the point. There's not a whole lot I can do to change the core gameplay (unless I want to attempt to make it more like a platforming game), so I attempt to explain how the gameplay works, it would be irrelevant when anyone could just type "general gameplay of a click and point adventure games" on Google and get more readily available results. As a result, the story development gets a lot of attention. This is only what I speculated for a situation like this and I'm sorry if I sounded whiny.

Speaking of the story, though, I just had a talk with ShadeDBZ last night. He thought the story I had was fine, but the idea of mentioning those two users in the story like that left a bad taste in his mouth. Thankfully, I just so happen to have another story idea stashed around somewhere that doesn't involve anyone on this web site. I was originally going to do this with the buddy I am doing the RPG with, but why not develop it here?

Do you like it? I mentioned the idea to Shade and it appealed to him better.
(02-27-2014, 07:31 PM)Gors Wrote: DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SUCK. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SHOW YOUR SUCKY ART. I think this needs to go noticed to everyone, because sucking is not failing. Sucking is part of the fun of learning and if you don't suck, then you won't own at pixelart

it's ok to suck, sucking is not bad, just try and aim to always do your best!
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
Taking a crack at game development - by E-Man - 07-19-2014, 07:58 AM
RE: Taking a crack at game development - by E-Man - 07-20-2014, 11:28 AM
RE: Taking a crack at game development - by E-Man - 07-22-2014, 05:05 PM
RE: Taking a crack at game development - by E-Man - 07-23-2014, 06:24 AM
RE: Taking a crack at game development - by E-Man - 07-23-2014, 12:19 PM
RE: Taking a crack at game development - by E-Man - 07-24-2014, 05:18 PM
RE: Taking a crack at game development - by E-Man - 07-27-2014, 05:38 PM
RE: Taking a crack at game development - by E-Man - 07-28-2014, 06:58 AM
RE: Taking a crack at game development - by E-Man - 07-28-2014, 06:07 PM
RE: Taking a crack at game development - by E-Man - 07-29-2014, 11:00 AM