Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Sonic Advance 2 sprite re-rip thingy
Hello ladies and gentlemen. TF04 here

heres my first proper thread on this forum... heh. So over the past month or so I have been thinking about attempting to re-rip the sprites from the Sonic Advance trilogy as, as much as I hate to say it, the series' pages are severly disorganised compared to the ones for the MD/Genesis Sonic titles and there's a lot of inaccurate rips and such. But fear no more! I have come to the rescue... I think. My usual fare is NES/Famicom games (typically bootlegs like Somari for example) but I wanted to turn the tables this time round and do something else from another platform instead.

So to start off, I present to you... my re-rips of Cream, Cheese and Vanilla!!!! cuz y not lel

Now, Random Talking Bush did say back in 2016 he would go ahead and re-rip Cream's sprites along with the sprites from Advance 3 and the ending sprites from Rush, which IMO is a bad idea as there's a noticable difference with her eyelids on some of her sprites between Advance 2 and 3 and also would kinda defeat the purpose of the sprites being on Advance 3's page and Rush's page to a degree. But it's been well over 7 years since he said it and Cream's sheet on the Advance 2 page hasn't been updated, so I thought I'd go ahead and do it myself. I did this mostly because I plan on doing remakes (or rather demakes) of the Advance trilogy in the style of the Master System/Game Gear Sonic titles and I may use these sprites for reference and such.

But before I go ahead and submit a revision, I just want some feedback. I did try to organise everything and name every animation on the sheet, I didn't put all these sprites on the same sheet in case it got too big and I'm a little afraid that Cream's might have too much blank space, which I try to avoid with my sheets. Most of Cream and Cheese's sprites were initially ripped through BizHawk (via the European version of Advance 2), before I switched to mGBA (using the USA version) because I was too lazy to go find some cheat codes specifically for the European version of the game, and also because BizHawk, or at least the version I have, doesn't support Gameshark codes and I didn't want to play the game in its entirety to get their sprites. Vanilla's sprites were ripped entirely through mGBA.

All sprites use the BizHawk colour scheme, though if you prefer I can recolour everything to use the VBA scheme instead. Some sprites that may have been unused were ripped through YY-CHR and have been given pink backgrounds/borders because I'm not sure if they do show up in-game or if they're exclusive to the multiplayer modes. Sprites with dark backgrounds/borders are ones I have tried to centre properly, the animation marked "Gravity Reversal" I never saw either, I ripped it through YY-CHR cause I don't really know when it turns up in the game. Cream's sheet also includes some animations assembled with Cheese's sprites, though I'm not sure if I should keep it on the sheet.

I may go ahead and re-rip Amy's sprites, though I'll hold off on that for now as I'm a little exhausted after ripping hopefully all of Cream's sprites. If theres any feedback you have or if there are any sprites that I missed let me know... cause I'll be kinda annoyed if I did lol.

That's all I wanna say, see ya later - TFO04

Messages In This Thread
Sonic Advance 2 sprite re-rip thingy - by TheFireOshawott04 - 12-14-2023, 03:08 PM