The VG Resource

Full Version: Sonic Advance 2 sprite re-rip thingy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello ladies and gentlemen. TF04 here

heres my first proper thread on this forum... heh. So over the past month or so I have been thinking about attempting to re-rip the sprites from the Sonic Advance trilogy as, as much as I hate to say it, the series' pages are severly disorganised compared to the ones for the MD/Genesis Sonic titles and there's a lot of inaccurate rips and such. But fear no more! I have come to the rescue... I think. My usual fare is NES/Famicom games (typically bootlegs like Somari for example) but I wanted to turn the tables this time round and do something else from another platform instead.

So to start off, I present to you... my re-rips of Cream, Cheese and Vanilla!!!! cuz y not lel
[attachment=15568] [attachment=15569] [attachment=15570]
Now, Random Talking Bush did say back in 2016 he would go ahead and re-rip Cream's sprites along with the sprites from Advance 3 and the ending sprites from Rush, which IMO is a bad idea as there's a noticable difference with her eyelids on some of her sprites between Advance 2 and 3 and also would kinda defeat the purpose of the sprites being on Advance 3's page and Rush's page to a degree. But it's been well over 7 years since he said it and Cream's sheet on the Advance 2 page hasn't been updated, so I thought I'd go ahead and do it myself. I did this mostly because I plan on doing remakes (or rather demakes) of the Advance trilogy in the style of the Master System/Game Gear Sonic titles and I may use these sprites for reference and such.

But before I go ahead and submit a revision, I just want some feedback. I did try to organise everything and name every animation on the sheet, I didn't put all these sprites on the same sheet in case it got too big and I'm a little afraid that Cream's might have too much blank space, which I try to avoid with my sheets. Most of Cream and Cheese's sprites were initially ripped through BizHawk (via the European version of Advance 2), before I switched to mGBA (using the USA version) because I was too lazy to go find some cheat codes specifically for the European version of the game, and also because BizHawk, or at least the version I have, doesn't support Gameshark codes and I didn't want to play the game in its entirety to get their sprites. Vanilla's sprites were ripped entirely through mGBA.

All sprites use the BizHawk colour scheme, though if you prefer I can recolour everything to use the VBA scheme instead. Some sprites that may have been unused were ripped through YY-CHR and have been given pink backgrounds/borders because I'm not sure if they do show up in-game or if they're exclusive to the multiplayer modes. Sprites with dark backgrounds/borders are ones I have tried to centre properly, the animation marked "Gravity Reversal" I never saw either, I ripped it through YY-CHR cause I don't really know when it turns up in the game. Cream's sheet also includes some animations assembled with Cheese's sprites, though I'm not sure if I should keep it on the sheet.

I may go ahead and re-rip Amy's sprites, though I'll hold off on that for now as I'm a little exhausted after ripping hopefully all of Cream's sprites. If theres any feedback you have or if there are any sprites that I missed let me know... cause I'll be kinda annoyed if I did lol.

That's all I wanna say, see ya later - TFO04
(12-14-2023, 03:08 PM)TheFireOshawott04 Wrote: [ -> ]Now, Random Talking Bush did say back in 2016 he would go ahead and re-rip Cream's sprites along with the sprites from Advance 3 and the ending sprites from Rush, which IMO is a bad idea as there's a noticable difference with her eyelids on some of her sprites between Advance 2 and 3 and also would kinda defeat the purpose of the sprites being on Advance 3's page and Rush's page to a degree. But it's been well over 7 years since he said it and Cream's sheet on the Advance 2 page hasn't been updated, so I thought I'd go ahead and do it myself. I did this mostly because I plan on doing remakes (or rather demakes) of the Advance trilogy in the style of the Master System/Game Gear Sonic titles and I may use these sprites for reference and such.
Yeah, about that... Just like with most of my projects, it ended up being sidelined for the longest time, and then it got to a point where I'd actually lost the project files for that. Either way, my original plan was to label which games the animations came from similar to the Amy rip I did from Sonic Origins, as well as for the animations that were changed (inconisistently, might I add) in Advance 3.

That being said, nice job on the re-rips there. Smile
(12-14-2023, 04:09 PM)Random Talking Bush Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, about that... Just like with most of my projects, it ended up being sidelined for the longest time, and then it got to a point where I'd actually lost the project files for that. Either way, my original plan was to label which games the animations came from similar to the Amy rip I did from Sonic Origins, as well as for the animations that were changed (inconisistently, might I add) in Advance 3.

That being said, nice job on the re-rips there. Smile

thank you very much! by the way, I just noticed the death/drowning sprites are cut off at the bottom on Cream's sheet (I tend to sometimes mess up on some of my sheets), I went ahead and fixed it but I've already submitted a revision before I took notice of it, what do I do in this case?
(12-14-2023, 08:15 PM)TheFireOshawott04 Wrote: [ -> ]thank you very much! by the way, I just noticed the death/drowning sprites are cut off at the bottom on Cream's sheet (I tend to sometimes mess up on some of my sheets), I went ahead and fixed it but I've already submitted a revision before I took notice of it, what do I do in this case?
I went ahead and did so for you, so you can go ahead and re-revise it with the fixed sheet (sorry, we haven't added the option for users to cancel pending revisions just yet). Either way, the best / easiest method for requesting a revision to be cancelled for the time being is to use the site's report system on the sprite sheet in question letting us know to cancel it.
(12-14-2023, 09:26 PM)Random Talking Bush Wrote: [ -> ]I went ahead and did so for you, so you can go ahead and re-revise it with the fixed sheet (sorry, we haven't added the option for users to cancel pending revisions just yet). Either way, the best / easiest method for requesting a revision to be cancelled for the time being is to use the site's report system on the sprite sheet in question letting us know to cancel it.

alright, thank you. I'm gonna go ahead and re-revise it now, I also went ahead and gave names to the trick actions and re-centred the last few frames of the "quick reverse" action and some other small things while I was at it.