Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Does the look of the DKC series match the gameplay?
Personally, I fucking LOVE the DKC series with all my heart. Donkey Kong Country 2 is probably my favorite SNES game and probably my favorite game of all time. I play it annually and there's really no other platforming experience quite like it. DKC1 is too basic and DKC3 is too much crammed into a single package (also, DK goes to Russia, wtf) I'm really trying not to let my bias get to me here.

(04-13-2015, 05:08 AM)Koopaul Wrote: Yes I did! And then it hit me! That's why DK64 is such a beloved game while being such a poorly designed one. Donkey Kong belongs to that type of game. Donkey Kong, his cast of characters, his wild world, belongs to a DK64 type of game. Not a Country one.

This is probably the most flawed logic I've ever read on the Internet.  Donkey Kong belongs on top of a series of steel bars, tossing barrels at a carpenter. Or being imprisoned while his son braves a now-asshole carpenter to save his dad. Donkey Kong belongs in a game where he drives cars with his former rival, who's since changed his profession to shitty plumbing and has his own agenda (mostly involving fungi). Donkey Kong belongs in sidescrolling games where he fights Kremlings. Or hypnotist things. Or other gorillas. Or Norse animals. He belongs in weird racing games with jet-powered bongos, and he still belongs in a weird platformer that uses the trigger buttons to swing around on pegs.
He also belongs in a 3D world, and he sure as hell belongs in Donkey Konga and DEFINITELY Coconut Crackers. He's OK in any genre he's in.

The problem, unlike Mario platformers is that Donkey Kong is he now constantly serves as an ambassador to Nintendo's riskier ventures with (usually foreign) second-party developers. He's passed around like a crystal coconut from the Saturday morning cartoon, around different yet original intellectual properties containing the character. However, Nintendo's Japanese fanbase feels rather indifferent about DK, as he's too "Western" for Japanese audiences. Most of DK's audience is in the West, because that's where it's developed, produced, aggressively advertised and appreciated.
Most development teams don't have access to the same assets as other developers do, and that's how you end up with all these weird one-off characters, constant wardrobe and character changes.
The franchise is too much of a clusterfuck for "the fanbase" to actually know what they "truly" want as a result. It's like Sonic, except if people actually cared enough about 3D Blast and the unreleased Bejeweled clone to actually give a shit about them. And if the fanbase was actually rational and not creating OCs.

Candy Kong's a fair yardstick to drive the point home, and more recently Tiny Kong. I'm not really sure I have to describe the characters for most of you to get the idea.

tl;dr
Donkey Kong : America
Ninja Turtles : Japan
[Image: 57d2BGH.png]
! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! refs
shoutouts to cutesu for the new av!
Thanked by: Gors, E-Man, Pik

Messages In This Thread
RE: Does the look of the DKC series match the gameplay? - by Kosheh - 04-13-2015, 07:06 AM