Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Anyone enjoying Don't Starve?
(06-01-2013, 07:27 PM)alexmach1 Wrote: I find the sandbox world to be a bit unsatisfying, often being small and not containing all the game has to offer. since the world doesn't generate new things, once the whole area is explored there's really nothing else to do, forcing the move to adventure mode. while the main aspect of the game is survival, I was a bit disappointed that there were no recreational contraptions such as automatons or defense systems. the game's mechanics wear down quickly since the main control is to click on things and collect items without introducing any new features.

another thing that bugs me is the need to look up info on the wiki; how else was I to know that obelisks lower when sanity changes? waiting for my sanity to lower while defending from hallucinations was very unappealing and deterred me from adventure mode for a while; bringing myself back from 0 to max was even more frustrating since most environments in adventure mode are swamps or icelands, both of which lack necessary resources.

I believe that the "lose all save data on death" thing promotes too much caution while playing, often making players sacrifice new building materials for their health and not giving them recipes for better equipment. the game rarely gives rewards to the player other than new characters, and the punishments are heavy with hound assaults every 3-7 days and tree guardians preventing the gathering of precious logs.

the actual building mechanic is a tad unrefined, with objects preventing construction from a good distance away and being unable to build things on the run hamper the game a lot, especially since many enemies indefinitely chase the player.

the different character traits are a nice touch, but characters like willow, wendy, and wes easily fall off of player's scopes. willow's inability to be damaged by fire is extremely useless since the only thing that deals fire damage is the player, and wendy's ghost becomes a liability later in the game, initiating enemies into combat and damaging the player and inopportune times. wes is just a wimp.

I enjoyed the first few minutes, made the jump to adventure, had my fair share of deaths, and saw the surprisingly humorous ending, but I feel that I won't play it any more unless some drastic changes are made. I guess it's just not my type of fun.

What about the cave systems? I think you'll have fun in those.
(02-27-2014, 07:31 PM)Gors Wrote: DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SUCK. DO NOT BE AFRAID TO SHOW YOUR SUCKY ART. I think this needs to go noticed to everyone, because sucking is not failing. Sucking is part of the fun of learning and if you don't suck, then you won't own at pixelart

it's ok to suck, sucking is not bad, just try and aim to always do your best!
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
Anyone enjoying Don't Starve? - by E-Man - 05-27-2013, 12:26 PM
RE: Anyone enjoying Don't Starve? - by Marth - 05-27-2013, 12:41 PM
RE: Anyone enjoying Don't Starve? - by E-Man - 05-27-2013, 12:48 PM
RE: Anyone enjoying Don't Starve? - by Sengir - 05-27-2013, 01:06 PM
RE: Anyone enjoying Don't Starve? - by StarSock64 - 05-27-2013, 01:24 PM
RE: Anyone enjoying Don't Starve? - by E-Man - 05-27-2013, 01:37 PM
RE: Anyone enjoying Don't Starve? - by Keychain - 05-28-2013, 09:26 PM
RE: Anyone enjoying Don't Starve? - by E-Man - 05-29-2013, 07:45 AM
RE: Anyone enjoying Don't Starve? - by Keychain - 06-01-2013, 05:52 PM
RE: Anyone enjoying Don't Starve? - by E-Man - 06-01-2013, 06:34 PM