The VG Resource

Full Version: Anyone enjoying Don't Starve?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I check this entire section of the forum to see if there are no similar threads, so please forgive me if making this thread was unnecessary.

Anyway, ever since I watched Sip's let's play of Don't Starve on his channel, I feel in love with the game. What can I say, I love the art style and the characters are a delight, including Maxwell. I wish I could play the game, but the best I can do is continue to watch ol' Sips play it.

Anyone else like this game a lot?
I toyed around with it since my brother has it on steam and I don't have the cash to buy more games right now. The art style is fun and appealing, the environment is expansive and self contained, it really feels like you're lost in the woods (heh maybe that's because I was actually lost) and there is a real sense of discovery when you come across something new. It's an enjoyable game, I'm not sure if it has a plot, or really any objective aside from staying alive. But it seems like a fun little game to toy with here and there when I have some free time. I'm probably gonna get it after my bills are caught up.
Well, it does have a plot... See, Wilson, the gentleman scientist, was tricked into building some wonky machine by a demon named Maxwell. He is sent to a wild island where he has to survive and get his revenge on Maxwell.

Anyway, I like how you would wish to play the game. I might try to get it myself if it runs on Mac.
(05-27-2013, 12:48 PM)E-Man Wrote: [ -> ]Anyway, I like how you would wish to play the game. I might try to get it myself if it runs on Mac.

I'm fairly certain it does; if not through Steam then through the website (I bought the game back when it was web-only).

I haven't played it much yet but I've not been gaming at all lately...
I've had a lot of fun playing it, but the rogue-like-type death system is kind of annoying. Maybe I'm just a chump...

But I haven't been able to live past winter. Whenever you start getting comfortable, it seems like the game throws something new at you to kill you...
(05-27-2013, 01:06 PM)Sengir Wrote: [ -> ]I'm fairly certain it does; if not through Steam then through the website (I bought the game back when it was web-only).

I haven't played it much yet but I've not been gaming at all lately...

Well! That sounds good to me! I'll poke around with that when I get the means to buy it.

(05-27-2013, 01:24 PM)StarSock64 Wrote: [ -> ]I've had a lot of fun playing it, but the rogue-like-type death system is kind of annoying. Maybe I'm just a chump...

But I haven't been able to live past winter. Whenever you start getting comfortable, it seems like the game throws something new at you to kill you...

Yeah, trial and error is the name of the game. Sips is doing a really good job with Willow (he recently past day 100), so why don't you try looking at his videos for tips?

Just remember to stay away from buffaloes with red butts!
It's a really fun game, I've owned it since before it released but I never got around to playing it until recently. I'm really bad at it though.
(05-28-2013, 09:26 PM)Keychain Wrote: [ -> ]It's a really fun game, I've owned it since before it released but I never got around to playing it until recently. I'm really bad at it though.

I'm planning on getting it really soon, actually. After learning plenty of tricks from Sips, I should know what I'll be doing to get through it.

Say, need any help?
Haha no thanks, if I ever need info I just go check out the wikia. Smile
(06-01-2013, 05:52 PM)Keychain Wrote: [ -> ]Haha no thanks, if I ever need info I just go check out the wikia. Smile

Ah, the wiki! I read that and it is very informative! I plan to read that and look at Sips' video when I do my own play through.
I find the sandbox world to be a bit unsatisfying, often being small and not containing all the game has to offer. since the world doesn't generate new things, once the whole area is explored there's really nothing else to do, forcing the move to adventure mode. while the main aspect of the game is survival, I was a bit disappointed that there were no recreational contraptions such as automatons or defense systems. the game's mechanics wear down quickly since the main control is to click on things and collect items without introducing any new features.

another thing that bugs me is the need to look up info on the wiki; how else was I to know that obelisks lower when sanity changes? waiting for my sanity to lower while defending from hallucinations was very unappealing and deterred me from adventure mode for a while; bringing myself back from 0 to max was even more frustrating since most environments in adventure mode are swamps or icelands, both of which lack necessary resources.

I believe that the "lose all save data on death" thing promotes too much caution while playing, often making players sacrifice new building materials for their health and not giving them recipes for better equipment. the game rarely gives rewards to the player other than new characters, and the punishments are heavy with hound assaults every 3-7 days and tree guardians preventing the gathering of precious logs.

the actual building mechanic is a tad unrefined, with objects preventing construction from a good distance away and being unable to build things on the run hamper the game a lot, especially since many enemies indefinitely chase the player.

the different character traits are a nice touch, but characters like willow, wendy, and wes easily fall off of player's scopes. willow's inability to be damaged by fire is extremely useless since the only thing that deals fire damage is the player, and wendy's ghost becomes a liability later in the game, initiating enemies into combat and damaging the player and inopportune times. wes is just a wimp.

I enjoyed the first few minutes, made the jump to adventure, had my fair share of deaths, and saw the surprisingly humorous ending, but I feel that I won't play it any more unless some drastic changes are made. I guess it's just not my type of fun.
(06-01-2013, 07:27 PM)alexmach1 Wrote: [ -> ]I find the sandbox world to be a bit unsatisfying, often being small and not containing all the game has to offer. since the world doesn't generate new things, once the whole area is explored there's really nothing else to do, forcing the move to adventure mode. while the main aspect of the game is survival, I was a bit disappointed that there were no recreational contraptions such as automatons or defense systems. the game's mechanics wear down quickly since the main control is to click on things and collect items without introducing any new features.

another thing that bugs me is the need to look up info on the wiki; how else was I to know that obelisks lower when sanity changes? waiting for my sanity to lower while defending from hallucinations was very unappealing and deterred me from adventure mode for a while; bringing myself back from 0 to max was even more frustrating since most environments in adventure mode are swamps or icelands, both of which lack necessary resources.

I believe that the "lose all save data on death" thing promotes too much caution while playing, often making players sacrifice new building materials for their health and not giving them recipes for better equipment. the game rarely gives rewards to the player other than new characters, and the punishments are heavy with hound assaults every 3-7 days and tree guardians preventing the gathering of precious logs.

the actual building mechanic is a tad unrefined, with objects preventing construction from a good distance away and being unable to build things on the run hamper the game a lot, especially since many enemies indefinitely chase the player.

the different character traits are a nice touch, but characters like willow, wendy, and wes easily fall off of player's scopes. willow's inability to be damaged by fire is extremely useless since the only thing that deals fire damage is the player, and wendy's ghost becomes a liability later in the game, initiating enemies into combat and damaging the player and inopportune times. wes is just a wimp.

I enjoyed the first few minutes, made the jump to adventure, had my fair share of deaths, and saw the surprisingly humorous ending, but I feel that I won't play it any more unless some drastic changes are made. I guess it's just not my type of fun.

What about the cave systems? I think you'll have fun in those.