Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
Song of the Firefly
This looks really, really great - the game looks straight-up gorgeous, and I'll do what I can to follow this game on Greenlight, but if you don't mind a little criticism in the lead artist's direction - what's with the protagonists' heads?

It's not entirely clear how old Sam and Sarah characters are - while they have the Sugimori-esque anatomy of teenagers, they have the faces of 3-year-olds. It's primarily due to the fact that they have round faces on their well-toned, post-pubescent anatomy.
I mean, for one thing I can see that they're very clearly inspired by another game (the Earthbound series) and I get the feeling that they should be many, many heads shorter. However, looking at their overall concept art in ingame models - they seem perfect, and well-detailed.

Like, I get it - but it's a really, really weird artistic direction. For more of a direct comparison, it's like putting Toon Link's head on Skyward Sword Link's body and expecting it to work.
It's not a tough fix, though and would actually be a minor rigging fix for the modeler.
Like, if you look at the doctor, he seems somewhat age appropriate albeit a little young. Sam and Sarah's eyes, nose, mouth are fine - actually, they're perfect. Just...try a different shape for their head (like, give them slightly more pronounced bones in their chins and cheeks). If you're set against going an "anime" style character design, that's fine - and changing the cheekbones shouldn't affect that.

I know it's really nitpicky, but like the two clash so much I couldn't stay mum on it ):

The Masked Man looks awesome btw and I hope he's got a thick role in the plot
[Image: 57d2BGH.png]
! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! refs
shoutouts to cutesu for the new av!
Thanked by:

Messages In This Thread
Song of the Firefly - by Hoeloe - 07-27-2014, 05:18 PM
RE: Song of the Firefly - by puggsoy - 07-29-2014, 11:50 PM
RE: Song of the Firefly - by Hoeloe - 10-05-2014, 10:16 AM
RE: Song of the Firefly - by Hoeloe - 10-20-2014, 08:13 AM
RE: Song of the Firefly - by Kosheh - 10-20-2014, 11:16 AM
RE: Song of the Firefly - by Hoeloe - 10-20-2014, 11:29 AM