Users browsing this thread: 11 Guest(s)
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
(02-21-2014, 08:34 PM)Drshnaps Wrote:
(02-21-2014, 07:38 PM)Kosheh Wrote: (if you mean that rare never really had much originality to begin with then ok i guess youre right on that note)

Wow. Just wow. Accusing Rare of all developers of not being original? Something tells me you aren't very well versed in their history prior to the Microsoft acquisition.
if you're talking about their catalog of games prior to starfox adventures, i hate to admit that i pretty much own everything that falls under that (save for killer instinct, which is a shame - it seems like a great series)

unfortunately, their originality stops at around killer instinct 2 (1996). it's kind of obvious in DKC3, when every level requires a unique gimmick in order to remain fresh
[and man, i feel like i have this convo once a week]

i'll be honest - rare was really good at developing things mechanically. level designs were great, and killer instinct was pretty solid. hell, we even got goldeneye.
shit man, they even gave us BATTLETOADS (and i am genuinely curious why rare hasnt even joked around with the battletoads IP) but yeah - as soon as Nintendo gave Rare more creative freedom, character designs really tanked.

DKC3. We got Kiddy Kong. :/ A baby who's able to pilot aircraft, expertly ride a variety of animals, and have the dexterity to climb a series of ceiling rungs using his hands...all before he can properly walk.

Then we had enemies who were basically this.
[Image: L5Yg4h2.jpg]
this is a character who had literally nothing wrong with his original design; which kicked a lot of ass in comparison.
[Image: 8Zd6i79.jpg]
These guys walked around, lanky as heck and put their hands above their head when they jumped. they were a little spooky, and it liked that. on top of that, they're wearing ARMOR. these guys are cool and know what's up
Instead, we received doofy alligators who jog their way across a platform to only be met with a blow to the skull from a monkey babysitter

And don't even get me started on Banjo-Kazooie.
Banjo was okay, Kazooie was...eh.
Then you had shit like this.
[Image: JsKxD8b.png] Topper, the most menacing carrot who jumps at you awaiting his shitty death. "Why was I reincarnated as a carrot of all things? Surely I have forsaken you, great deity of Banjo World" and worse than that

boss boom box was an actual thing
[Image: uurbuGr.png]
A BOX WITH GOOGLY EYES THAT TURNS INTO MORE BOXES WHEN YOU HIT IT

It's like Ken Lobb gave his daughter a bag of craft googly eyes and locked her in a daycare. "all right honey, design me some good badguys and then daddy'll take you out for ice cream"

diddy kong racing? yep
[Image: zYlRImC.jpg]

it's like rare has a penchant for creating literally the most forgettable casts within a videogame
[Image: 57d2BGH.png]
! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! refs
shoutouts to cutesu for the new av!

Messages In This Thread
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze - by Koopaul - 06-11-2013, 10:50 AM
RE: Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze - by Ton - 06-11-2013, 07:17 PM
RE: Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze - by Ton - 06-12-2013, 08:29 AM
RE: Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze - by Gors - 06-12-2013, 09:29 AM
RE: Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze - by Ton - 06-12-2013, 09:38 AM
RE: Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze - by Ton - 06-13-2013, 01:38 AM
RE: Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze - by Gors - 06-17-2013, 07:47 AM
RE: Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze - by Ton - 10-08-2013, 08:40 PM